Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ardour Forums
Has it ever been discussed internally to add an Ardour forum to this site? The Ardour forum is such an antiquated forum (not an insult to Paul and team, but maybe to the devs of the forum software they are using). IMO think it would be good for Mixbus and Ardour users to be able to interact, and it could save the Ardour project some $$ for bandwidth. Many Mixbus users are probably not even aware of the Ardour roots of Mixbus. If I am out of line here, please just tell me to STFU, but I do see some advantages to doing this. Any thoughts?
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit
Sounds good to me.
Boyd
------------------------------------------
Windows 10 64; - Core i5 16GB; - RME Babyface; - MixBus 32C & XT plugins; Sonarworks Reference 4; Ozone 8; Neutron 2; Steven Slate Drums 5;
Superior Drummer 3; Ample Sound Bass & Guitar VSTi's; Behringer X-Touch

I think some sort of joint forum would be an excellent idea. Although the user base is growing, both forums are relatively small as far a forums go. I think there would be a mutual benefit to both Ardour and Mixbus users
I do not see why Paul would have to monitor another forum when the current Ardour mailing list and forum on ardour.org are all right. And nobody frowns if you mention Mixbus in there.

Why divide more ? Why split into more parts that have to be tracked ? More topics and questions that are split away ? More places for users to look for ?

On the plus side announcing that there's a new Ardour forum at Harrison will bring more people in contact with Mixbus potentially resulting in more sales. More sales equals eventually more Ardour development.

"... is such an antiquated forum"

And why would that be ?

Cheers.
(06-12-2018, 09:55 AM)jonetsu Wrote: "... is such an antiquated forum"

And why would that be ?

As I said in the OP, this is not meant to be a slam in any way and I sincerely apologize if it is taken that way. By antiquated, I really meant that it is very limited.

A few examples come to mind:

-- You cannot edit your posts if a mistake was made, or an afterthought comes to mind immediately after posting. You must add a new post in this case.

-- You cannot post links in a sensible way that allows the reader to just click it.

-- You cannot mark your thread(s) as solved.

These are just a few examples, but I do understand and agree with your point about Paul not needing yet another source of headaches to follow. He is certainly a very busy man! However, perhaps both forums could be merged into one, if this were to happen.
Not sure that Ardour guys read the Harrison blog
Most bugs originate and come from Ardour since it is the basic program Mixbus is built on
We are waiting for Harrison to treat bugs but it is not they who put them there
Test Ardour 5 and you will find the same problems your Mixbus has for long
fader look is different but all the menus and options are 99% the same

- solo mute issue on VCA when a mixbuses also in group
- editing issues with a lot surplus clicks
- HPF not activating EQ section
- select all+ arrows also pull the master fader and the mixbuses and it should not....
- and a hundred others you find and write on Harrison blog but Ardour may not know about them at all so remains there for years

Harrison work on the basis of statistics how many users complained about some issue, but there are a lot basic problems not mentioned only by one -two users, though very important, so the issue stays there for ever

That is my experience

So I think Ardour section here would be useful for helping to developboth A and MB.
Tassy
(06-12-2018, 09:55 AM)jonetsu Wrote: "... is such an antiquated forum"

And why would that be ?

Lexridge highlighted a few of the issues above but surely the biggest single problem is that it doesn't notify you when someone responds to one of your posts (at least, it never notifies me..!)

Some kind of joint forum is a great idea IMHO
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
I agree that the problems involved with the Ardour forum software are pretty serious. I only posted a couple of times there and it was way back then. I had a functional impression of it, although the lack Lexridge mentioned are rather serious. Think of it, I'm not sure if it's possible to attach screen shots either.
I post fairly frequently on the Ardour forums. Mainly replies to others having problems, as I do not really use Ardour that much. I just build it from source from time to time to test for crossover bugs I may find in MB and I use it occasionally on my antique laptop a few times a year because it is not really powerful enough to run MB efficiently.

The collaboration of having both users in one forum would be of tremendous value to both teams. I don't think they should be totally integrated, but integrated enough that both user groups can see the important posts about both software. ie. Paul would be able to focus just the Ardour part on his site (with MB forum access to his users), while Harrison would have both for all to see. There would be little need for Paul to read about MB only issues, wheres Robin (aka x42) would probably find it very useful, as a dev for both projects.

And btw jonetsu, it is not possible to post screenshots which is also a valuable resource.
In my opinion, there's no need for an Ardour forum here. Every MB bug that turns out to be an Ardour bug will be handled in the Ardour repository anyway - if an Ardour bug hits MB, then it's also an MB bug and will have to be fixed. It is as simple as that as far as I know. The Harrison (related) folks are also very active in the Ardour repository.

The only thing left is what specific to Ardour, such as the mixer. This kind of stuff should be dealt with on the Ardour forum and channels anyway. IMHO, the only way to deal with what one considers to be a bad Ardour Forum is to try to persuade the Ardour folks to improve it. Personally, I like it as it is. For me, it does not look like the Ardour project wants an active socializing forum, which is totally fine IMO. They are very clear on the Ardour page how they want bugs and other stuff to be handled.

Bugs that shows up in MB are MB bugs only as far as MB users should concern and should only be handled by Harrison through the Harrison channels anyway.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox