Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Text Notepad
I did a quick search here but was surprised not to find a feature request for this - so I'll add one!

Please can we have a single notepad feature - session notes, track notes etc.

VST or AU plugins offering this do not work in MB. Cannot enter text when open.

I would love to be able to save session notes within the session and not as a separate text file in the song folder.

Any thoughts?

Edit metadata doesn't do it, doesn't seem to be a song by song feature, something odd happens to the data when I enter, it appears in other songs. Either that's a bug or I do not understand what metadata within MB is used for.
There is the "Track Manager" feature that allows you to enter a comment for each track. Not sure if that is enough space to enter what you need - I have not actually tried it. http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/m.../mix-tools

But yeah - this should be a standard part of every DAW's default toolset.

Have you tried the free plugin from Melda? I think it's called MNotePad or something like that. I have it but I admit I have not tried it in MB. It has some editing quirks that I am not particularly fond of but I was mainly using it for song lyrics in Studio One - which has a Track Notes and Song Notes feature built-in.

Also, if someone made a plugin that scrolls song lyrics linked to the timeline with user-selectable font sizes I would buy it immediately. Even if it was just something as simple as advancing blocks of text when you press a sustain pedal or something would be great. Hold the sustain pedal to reset to top. But linked to markers or the timeline would be best.
i5-8400 - 16GB - Big SSD & HD - Win10 Pro - Mixbus - Studio One
UAD Apollo Quad Firewire - Quad FW satellite - PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8 - Console 1
Lots of guitars - I build all my own tube amps

(02-21-2021, 12:31 PM)MakerDPHave you tried the free plugin from Melda? I think it's called MNotePad or something like that. I have it but I admit I have not tried it in MB. It has some editing quirks that I am not particularly fond of but I was mainly using it for song lyrics in Studio One - which has a Track Notes and Song Notes feature built-in. Wrote: Yes I tried that one - but same problem, when the plugin is opened you cannot type into the text field. It's something to do with the way Mixbus handles the plugin I guess, needs looking at!
Ah I didn't know about the track comment option. Now that is useful except that there's nothing to indicate whether a track has a comment, and in a large session perhaps re-visited some time later, it would be a pain to go through every track to see if there were comments. Which is why I always used a plugin in Studio One for this, if the plugin was on a track I knew there was something to read.

Maybe short of adding a Notepad feature Mixbus could just have a little indicator on every track that had comments?
(02-21-2021, 11:45 AM)Scardanelli Wrote: I did a quick search here but was surprised not to find a feature request for this - so I'll add one!

Please can we have a single notepad feature - session notes, track notes etc.
Every Channel including Mixbusses and the Master has a comments tag. The first word of which is displayed at the top of every channel... so it's very easy to see where you have a note.

(02-21-2021, 11:45 AM)Scardanelli Wrote: VST or AU plugins offering this do not work in MB. Cannot enter text when open.

If you click the keyboard icon top right of the plugin, then the plugin has keyboard attention.

(02-21-2021, 11:45 AM)Scardanelli Wrote: I would love to be able to save session notes within the session and not as a separate text file in the song folder.

Comments does exactly that now.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Thanks Dingo!
i5-8400 - 16GB - Big SSD & HD - Win10 Pro - Mixbus - Studio One
UAD Apollo Quad Firewire - Quad FW satellite - PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8 - Console 1
Lots of guitars - I build all my own tube amps

(02-21-2021, 07:54 PM)MakerDP Wrote: Thanks Dingo!

Ah, better, only visible in the channel strip when the full Input strip is active, which mine often aren't but still that's very useful so thanks for that!

But the keyboard icon to allow typing into my Tritone Recall plugin - that is great! So thanks for that too, I prefer to use the plugin as it can also hold jpegs, videos, screen grabs etc, and is easier to spot than one word in the comments box which may or may not be visible. If for example I'm mixing from stems then I've no reason to have the input / record dialogue panel open. So easier to see a plugin.
But all in all I'm well covered now. Grand!