Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long Session with multipul songs
Good Morning, Another newbie question.

We have a recording session that will have many songs to record. I am struggling with the best way to save a song, then start fresh with out having to setup my board all over.

What is the best way to record a song, save the recording with a specific name, open a new session with nothing recorded.

I am missing something in the process. I've saved my settings with a template but when i open it again i get errors about missing files etc.

Also i have a problem every so often where the recording will go for 2 - 3 seconds then stop. When this happens, I have to reboot and rebuild the template from scratch.

Any advice is appreciated. We record tomorrow!! Smile
If you record say 10 songs in one length you can do it and later separate the songs.
I do it mostly if the band, intrument etc are the same in all songs because easier to mix later
(do not forget to hit "SAVE" in the breaksSmile

If you record songs one by one:
Set up a recording session
try whether it works well
save it without the test track recorded (delete it then save)
save it as snaphot (switch to new session) name eg: New Song Record

it will be your not template but a starting session with all the settings you made. close it
open it and save it as eg "1st song....", record it save it as snapshot, 1st song record os done. close it

open again the New Song Rec ( it will be empty)
save it as "2nd song" record the 2nd song save it, close it

and so onSmile

if the record stops before the song finished it may have some causes
- gear not strong enough to handle the task ( CPU, mamory etc)
- I know no other reason that MB stops recording by itself consult Harrison naming your OS and gear specifications
best
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
A follow up question.

We recorded in all one session. Just over 30GB of data.

I've cut everything from our sessions but for our final takes of each song and moved all the info to the start of the session in the editor. Then i 'think' i deleted everything after the end. When i save the session as a new one "File Save As" the resulting file is another 30GB.

How do i reduce the side or clear the white space?

Thanks.
(01-15-2021, 05:57 PM)sdrobson Wrote: A follow up question.

We recorded in all one session. Just over 30GB of data.

I've cut everything from our sessions but for our final takes of each song and moved all the info to the start of the session in the editor. Then i 'think' i deleted everything after the end. When i save the session as a new one "File Save As" the resulting file is another 30GB.

How do i reduce the side or clear the white space?

Thanks.

This is because of the non-destructive editing. You are basically manipulating a playlist, operating on the full set of actual audio files.
Better use snapshots, this leaves you with one session folder but different session files, only a few kbytes each. Plus, you can switch between them very quickly.

If you really want to create a smaller session you need to export your tracks with "Stem export", then import them into a newly created session.

MMM
P.S.: I always use the "Playlist" method as this keeps the original material which can come handy later (maybe years later). Storage is no longer scarce these days.
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths