Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Headphones to Monitor
Good Day,

We are new users to MixBus 32C and generally having it work well. We are trying to use Headphones on our computer to monitor the mix before it sends to our streaming computer using vMIX.

We are using a Dante Virtual Sound card on the mixing computer to make the connections between our soundboard and the Mixbus & vMix computers. They are both Windows 10 computers.

Is there a way to have headphones connected to the sound card in the computer running MixBus so we can adjust.

Thank you.
Hello, sdrobson - and Welcome to the Mixbus Forum!
Does your computer's sound card show up in the list of available I/O devices in Mixbus's Routing table?
If so, then you should be able to set the destination (output) of your Mixbus "Monitor" channel strip to that device.

Cheers!
Patrick
(01-04-2021, 01:06 PM)sdrobson Wrote: Good Day,

We are new users to MixBus 32C and generally having it work well. We are trying to use Headphones on our computer to monitor the mix before it sends to our streaming computer using vMIX.

We are using a Dante Virtual Sound card on the mixing computer to make the connections between our soundboard and the Mixbus & vMix computers. They are both Windows 10 computers.

Is there a way to have headphones connected to the sound card in the computer running MixBus so we can adjust.

Thank you.

Since your using an external digital console you are attached to that device. Maybe the best option is to create a matrix on the console with a copy of the master and monitor through the mixer.
You cant connect you headphones to the computer audio device .
Another option if you´re using mac is creating an aggregate device using the DVS and internal audio card and in mixbus choose that aggregate device, you´ll have all ins and outs from DVS + internal card.
On Windows is not possible, even using asio4all.

Thank you.

Hi sdrobson and welcome to the Mixbus Forum...

The Focusrite am2 might be a solution, also check Dante site and see if any of the AVIO range will suit.
Perhaps the BT adaptor or Line Out adaptor plugged into an old amp for headphone or speakers ?
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5

Thank you.
sdrobson,

I had that exact problem. Here is how we fixed it. (Thanks to help from Ben)

First, you know that Win 10 will only send audio to one place. So you can't send it out thru Dante Virtual Sound Card AND send it to a local physical card on the computer. To fix that, down load and install "Voxengo Recorder" (free). Load that as a plugin into the monitor strip and then you can "hi jack" that audio, and send it to your local physical sound card. To access the plug in window for the monitor strip, press the "Processors" button. You'll have to start "recorder" for each of your sessions. Set it to MME for the file, and send it to Microsoft Sound Mapper. You'll need to experiment with the bit rates to find the best combination for your use. It's simple.

After you are set up with "recorder", you'll need to make some adjustments in Mixbus.

Go to the "Window" drop down menu. Select "Audio Connections". (shortcut Alt P) In that pop up, on the left side (Sources) select "Mixbus Busses". Then across the bottom (Destinations) select "Hardware". All of your Dante channels should show up across the bottom. On the left side, de-select the outputs to "Monitor Out L/R" if they are selected ( as shown by a green dot). You might have to scroll up to see the monitor out. Then for "Master Out", scroll across to the Dante Channel you are using for your output and select that stereo pair. ( just click on the boxes)

After doing this, you should see "Out:*4*" in the output bar at the bottom of the master channel strip. This allows the master output to go to two places, to your streaming computer and to the monitor section of Mixbus.

We found that the output to the headphones was somewhat low ( using the output on the back of the computer) so we added a cheap headphone amplifier.

A couple of cautions (maybe you've already figured this out). Don't use the SiP for the monitor. If that is selected and you press solo on a channel, you solo it in the master mix as well, and the only thing your broadcast audience will hear is that hi hat that you just soloed. Use PFL and Excl. Solo. Then you'll be fine.

Also, there was a bug of some kind in MB32 whereby if you soloed a channel, it actually muted it. Don't know if that has been fixed, or when you downloaded your copy. If that is happening for you, you can fix it by turning the monitor section off and back on. Not just with the button on the master section, but go to the "Session" drop down, select "Monitor Section" and uncheck "Use Monitor Section". Close that drop down, then open it again and recheck the box to "Use Monitor Section". This seems to fix the bug. However, Ben sent me a link that also fixed it.

We had the option of listening to the broadcast mix from a headphone out on our streaming set up, but that is physically a long ways from our DAW computer, so we chose this route.

Hope this helps.
Sorry but I am sure it won't work for the Wi users as long as "Voxengo Recoder free" is a 32bit vst...

https://www.voxengo.com/product/recorder/
Maybe JBridge would work? I've used it very successfully with Cantabile Performer (VST host for live performance). It has an integration with JBridge so 32bit VST's "automagically" show up. User Tassy here mentioned JBridge, I'm about to test it so I can use some of my old VST's. I do always worry that I'm adding a moving part with JBridge....
Yeah I also got it last month and it's working well if you are confused to buy I recommend you to buy it, I got my one from couponcodify if you wanna buy you can also check there.
I've owned JBridge for a couple of years. It's integrated with Cantabile so I never had to run JBridger.exe. If JBridge is installed Cantabile 64bit then sees the 32bit VSTs. 

For Mixbus I made a folder for JBridger to place it's 64bit "proxy" files (not sure what he calls them)  and ran it and the 32bit VST's showed up and work fine in Mixbus.
(01-13-2021, 09:01 AM)dsteinschneider Wrote: I've owned JBridge for a couple of years. It's integrated with Cantabile so I never had to run JBridger.exe. If JBridge is installed Cantabile 64bit then sees the 32bit VSTs. 

For Mixbus I made a folder for JBridger to place it's 64bit "proxy" files (not sure what he calls them)  and ran it and the 32bit VST's showed up and work fine in Mixbus.

Ok !

Could someone confirm with a screen capture, please ?
I won't invest in JBridge if it would not work...