Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YouTube won't play while Mixbus is running
I would really like to watch my tutorials on youtube while using Mixbus. It makes no sense that I would have to close the program to watch a lesson on YT and then open Mixbus again to apply what I'm learning - it's unproductive and frustrating to have to go back and forth like that. Youtube will just spin if Mixbus is running. Has anyone had this problem? What's the fix?
If I had to guess, it's because your sound device is not multi-client, meaning that it cannot share its driver with multiple programs. If you're already running Mixbus, the driver is tied up with that and Youtube (actually, your browser) can't use it.

I have the same problem. There may be workarounds, depending on the device, but I never bothered to dig into it.

One "Rube Goldberg" suggestion would be to use the built in motherboard sound card to listen to Youtube for the tutorials. You would just need to tell Windows to use that as its default device.
(Assuming it's Windows you're using, and assuming your motherboard sound card isn't your only audio device...)
(01-02-2021, 08:23 PM)CurtZHP Wrote: If I had to guess, it's because your sound device is not multi-client, meaning that it cannot share its driver with multiple programs. If you're already running Mixbus, the driver is tied up with that and Youtube (actually, your browser) can't use it.

I have the same problem. There may be workarounds, depending on the device, but I never bothered to dig into it.

One "Rube Goldberg" suggestion would be to use the built in motherboard sound card to listen to Youtube for the tutorials. You would just need to tell Windows to use that as its default device.
(Assuming it's Windows you're using, and assuming your motherboard sound card isn't your only audio device...)

Thanks, I'll try that .. once i figure out how
I had the same problem when I was using an old Lexicon Alpha USB audio interface. If I was listening to YouTube the DAW would complain it couldn't use the interface. If the DAW was using it and I launched a browser to run YouTube it would complain that no sound device was available.

I just recently bought an IK Multimedia Axe I/O Solo. I didn't know when I purchased it (bought it for improved guitar and bass input) that it is multiclient. It's really nice being able to play other media sources (browser, media players etc) while in the DAW.
Are you using ASIO for Mixbus ? if not you should. The driver from your audio interface for sure has a ASIO driver for low latency in and out. If not try using Voicemeeter banana along side with asio4all. That will work for sure.
On win 7/64 MB and youtube both use the motherboard sound chip and both can be played at the same time
An old feature that in windows if no plug is pluged (jacks) in the motherboard audio in/out, windows does not "recognise" its audio interface.
Just suggestion
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(01-03-2021, 05:37 AM)Tassy Wrote: On win 7/64 MB and youtube both use the motherboard sound chip and both can be played at the same time
An old feature that in windows if no plug is pluged (jacks) in the motherboard audio in/out, windows does not "recognise" its audio interface.
Just suggestion
Tassy

So i should plug in a headphone jack? But then it'll play out of a separate place instead of the headphone jack on my interface.
This is what I do and it is a lot easier in practice to implement than it may sound on first glance...

I have a laptop sitting off to the side to watch YT videos on and do web searches like the online manual. I run a Y-cable from the headphone jack into my interface so I can hear the audio through my studio monitors. Of course, you will need the free inputs on your interface and the spare computer. I use a UA Apollo Firewire so I have plenty of available inputs and before my current laptop I was doing this with great results with an inexpensive Chromebook as the laptop. The Apollo makes it super-easy to monitor the inputs via Console, but before I had my Apollo it was easy enough to just add a stereo track to my current project and just turn on its monitoring for the input from the laptop from that track. You can even do this with your phone or a tablet if you don't mind the smaller screen for viewing the videos - a cheap Amazon Kindle reader would even work great for this!

This allows me to always have the DAW on the screen without switching any apps around and yet still have the audio on my high-quality studio monitors and/or headphones and NO third-party programs like VoiceMeeter and NO monkeying with audio driver/Windows settings to do the "input dance."

It's also a good setup to do reference track checking.
i5-8400 - 16GB - Big SSD & HD - Win10 Pro - Mixbus - Studio One
UAD Apollo Quad Firewire - Quad FW satellite - PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8 - Console 1
Lots of guitars - I build all my own tube amps

(01-03-2021, 04:50 PM)MakerDP Wrote: This is what I do and it is a lot easier in practice to implement than it may sound on first glance...

I have a laptop sitting off to the side to watch YT videos on and do web searches like the online manual. I run a Y-cable from the headphone jack into my interface so I can hear the audio through my studio monitors. Of course, you will need the free inputs on your interface and the spare computer. I use a UA Apollo Firewire so I have plenty of available inputs and before my current laptop I was doing this with great results with an inexpensive Chromebook as the laptop. The Apollo makes it super-easy to monitor the inputs via Console, ut before I had my Apollo it was easy enough to just add a stereo track to my current project and just turn on its monitoring for the input from the laptop from that track. You can even do this with your phone or a tablet if you don't mind the smaller screen for viewing the videos - a cheap Amazon Kindle reader would even work great for this!

This allows me to always have the DAW on the screen without switching any apps around and yet still have the audio on my high-quality studio monitors and/or headphones and NO third-party programs like VoiceMeeter and NO monkeying with audio driver/Windows settings to do the "input dance."

It's also a good setup to do reference track checking.

Thank You. I al so tried running the audio outs into my Behringer xr18 Mixer/Interface - Youtube still spinning. Nothing else is working for me. I'll try it. ,I'm sure it will do the trick.
(01-03-2021, 05:44 PM)OzyMixbus Wrote: Thank You. I al so tried running the audio outs into my Behringer xr18 Mixer/Interface - Youtube still spinning. Nothing else is working for me. I'll try it. ,I'm sure it will do the trick.

Running from your PC outputs back into your interface won't work for you for all the same reasons, unless you jump through the hoops others have suggested.

My solution works flawlessly 100% of the time and is super easy once you have the initial cabling set up - and even that is super easy to implement. Of course it does require the external viewing device and the space to put it - that is the only drawback.

Good luck! One way or the other you will get it sorted out! Cool
i5-8400 - 16GB - Big SSD & HD - Win10 Pro - Mixbus - Studio One
UAD Apollo Quad Firewire - Quad FW satellite - PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8 - Console 1
Lots of guitars - I build all my own tube amps