Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AVA Plugs crashing MB and Studio One
So, I bought the deal where I got all of the AVA plugins for a really low price (except the new Vocal Flow) and finally got around to installing them last night.

I got them all licensed OK .... BUT ....

Unfortunately, they ALL crash both Mixbus 32c and Studio One when the plugin GUI closes. I am on the most recent version of both of these DAWs. Using the VST3 versions in Windows 10.

I see quite a few recent posts about this here. Has anyone got to the bottom of this? I will reach-out to Harrison support but hoping someone could chime-in because they are probably stretched (understandably) during the holiday season.
i5-8400 - 16GB - Big SSD & HD - Win10 Pro - Mixbus - Studio One
UAD Apollo Quad Firewire - Quad FW satellite - PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8 - Console 1
Lots of guitars - I build all my own tube amps

Can also add now Reaper is also crashing when I close the plugins' window just like it does in MB and Studio One.
FaderPort 8 - Console 1

I have some info to add...

I saw elsewhere that there was a potential AVA/OpenGL issue on some graphics cards so I updated my default Intel UHD 630 (on-board graphics for the i5-8400 CPU) drivers to the latest version from Intel's website.

In Mixbus32c, I can now insert an AVA plugin, open it, tweak it, close it... no problems. BUT if I try to delete the plugin from the track/bus - crash to desktop again.

This however did nothing to fix the problem in Studio One... insert plugin, open & tweak OK still... BUT closing the GUI still crashes Studio One to the desktop.

I did not test it again in Reaper... I figure there is no point.
FaderPort 8 - Console 1

@MakerDP, I would suggest you email AVA support: plugins@harrisonconsoles.com and copy your posts to them.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(12-30-2020, 08:40 PM)Dingo Wrote: @MakerDP, I would suggest you email AVA support: plugins@harrisonconsoles.com and copy your posts to them.

Thankyou Dingo. I emailed them earlier today about this and a problem I am having with the Console 1 plugins crashing MixBus32c upon insert on buses 9-12 and the main 2-bus (it works just fine everywhere else.)

Hopefully I will hear something from them next week... I know it's holiday time so I doubt I will hear back this week (and that's OK - hopefully they are all on vacation Big Grin )
FaderPort 8 - Console 1

Hey @Dingo and everyone else....

I heard from Mixbus support and they told me they are fully aware of the issue and the fix is ready to go in an upcoming release.

No details of the timeline were given, so I'll just sit-tight awaiting this to be resolved.

They also said it is only an issue in the VST3 versions so the temporary fix is to use the VST2 ones instead.

They were not able to reproduce the Console 1 error, so I will need to do some more investigation there.
FaderPort 8 - Console 1

My latest experience is that adding a single instance of AVA Vocal Flow to a Mixbus song causes 100% CPU spikes, but it actually works. However, trying to delete causes a freeze and a crash ...
I have Studio One 5 and that seems to handle AVA VF no problems, but I'll double check.
I'm using the latest MB 6.2 in Win 10
Yeah there seems to be a LOT of issues with plugins since the VST3 release and everyone seems to be having slightly different issues. Hopefully this release they mentioned to me sorts it all out for everybody. Their message wasn't clear if it was a Mixbus release or an AVA Plugins release though...
FaderPort 8 - Console 1

This is a HUGE long shot but I was just reading about a software development technology called JUCE which describes itself as "the leading framework for multi-platform audio applications"

And a bit further down it states:- "JUCE supports the development of plug-ins: VST, AU and AAX."

Aren't these the same formats being offered by Harrison's AVA installers? Maybe they've switched to using JUCE now? (and if so... maybe JUCE needs a bit more testing..?)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
JUCE is a mature tool and is used by a number of developers and companies.
My understanding is that there is an issue with OpenGL Libraries and rendering of multi layered graphics on some systems.
The RT section found in some of the AVA line is CPU intensive and requires a lot of redraws.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5