Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Timeline edit
Does anyone know if it’s possible to edit the timeline itself?

For example, say you’ve got an audio track for which you’ve created a tempo map. Maybe you’ve recorded some overdubs but now you want to cut out a verse (or insert a verse) in the middle somewhere and have the tempo map accommodate the edit.

In the old days (last century) if you recorded on tape, you could take the multitrack and using a razor blade cut the tape and remove or add a section of tape as needed, splice it back together and you’re done. Is such an operation possible in Mixbus?
http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/m...track-menu

Insert Time / Remove time. Can be Bars or Time code - determined by the Primary Counter.
The numeric entry fields work like counter wheels, so the Beats and Bars are separate rollers, same with time code: H|M|S|F
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
@m p h

I've done a fair bit of doing just what Dingo pointed you to.
In particular, I've cut and even swapped verses, added new middle 8ths, cut and extended solo lengths... you get the picture.
This works well - for mainly sampled or looped type arrangements. However...

Keep in mind that live vocal/instrumental performances that are occurring at your cut & spice points will provide the same challenges
and quirks as they did using tape & razor blades. In particular - phrase and other spatial carry-over. Cymbals, reverb, guitar chords, etc
will all make the cleanest of cuts/pastes sound weird if they are truncated prematurely by the cut. So, that usually means that I have had
to make my cuts on a track to track basis and where the performance on that track allows as opposed to, say, exactly at the start of bar #45
or particular SMPTE or other clock value. And, on occasion, your paste-in (or some leading portion of it) might need to go onto a track by itself
because of how it has to occur at the paste-point. Setting that track into "layered/stacked" mode might be helpful, allowing both overlapping
regions to be heard, but I prefer to just use another track - much easier for me.
Not every track will require you to do this for it but, for example, I've had to extend a guitar solo,
on a 20-track mix, by making 7-8 cuts at slightly different points where I needed to add bars.
Filling those new bars with appropriate choices for the other, now extended, support tracks
is also a challenge. But we'll save that for another discussion!

Cheers!
Patrick
(12-02-2020, 07:31 PM)Dingo Wrote: http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/m...track-menu

Insert Time / Remove time. Can be Bars or Time code - determined by the Primary Counter.
The numeric entry fields work like counter wheels, so the Beats and Bars are separate rollers, same with time code: H|M|S|F

Thank you Dingo and Patrick. The problem for me is that the tempo map doesn't move with the edit - it stays put even though I check the "Move tempo and meter changes" box. (I'm using Mixbus 5.3.16)
(12-02-2020, 09:47 PM)PBuryk Wrote: @m p h

I've done a fair bit of doing just what Dingo pointed you to.
In particular, I've cut and even swapped verses, added new middle 8ths, cut and extended solo lengths... you get the picture.
This works well - for mainly sampled or looped type arrangements. However...

Keep in mind that live vocal/instrumental performances that are occurring at your cut & spice points will provide the same challenges
and quirks as they did using tape & razor blades. In particular - phrase and other spatial carry-over. Cymbals, reverb, guitar chords, etc
will all make the cleanest of cuts/pastes sound weird if they are truncated prematurely by the cut. So, that usually means that I have had
to make my cuts on a track to track basis and where the performance on that track allows as opposed to, say, exactly at the start of bar #45
or particular SMPTE or other clock value. And, on occasion, your paste-in (or some leading portion of it) might need to go onto a track by itself
because of how it has to occur at the paste-point. Setting that track into "layered/stacked" mode might be helpful, allowing both overlapping
regions to be heard, but I prefer to just use another track - much easier for me.
Not every track will require you to do this for it but, for example, I've had to extend a guitar solo,
on a 20-track mix, by making 7-8 cuts at slightly different points where I needed to add bars.
Filling those new bars with appropriate choices for the other, now extended, support tracks
is also a challenge. But we'll save that for another discussion!

Cheers!
Patrick

Thank you Patrick. The problem for me is that the tempo map doesn't move with the edit - it stays put even though I check the "Move tempo and meter changes" box. (I'm using Mixbus 5.3.16)