Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CRASHES
I'm a windows 10 user and while the Harrison system requirements states Windows 7 and does not specifically state Windows 10 I suspect there are major incompatibility issues with Windows 10. I'm running a Rysen 3950 (16 core) with 128GB of M.2 RAM and T's of SSD HD's. Mixbus 32c crashes or stops responding all of the time to the point where it is unusable as an application. As i mentioned it is most likely because Windows 10 is not supported yet. If I am wrong, please let me know.

Just some background:

3 minutes fifty three seconds to open,

2 minutes to load the Harrison Vocal Flow plugin

5 minutes into EQ'ing it goes into the not responding mode and I have to task manager -> end task

If anyone can think of any other reason feel free to let me know.

I will echo vanwinkle52's statement of loving the DAW.....for the brief moments it works I have found it very enjoyable to use.

Ron
@rcoleman180 Welcome to the Forum...
The wording on Harrison's website is Windows XP or newer (Windows7 is the suggested minimum) that is to say Windows 7 and upwards.
What you are describing is not the norm.
I would suggest you email support: mixbus@harrisonconsoles.com and include the details you have outlined here.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(12-06-2020, 08:42 PM)rcoleman180 Wrote: 3 minutes fifty three seconds to open

Before launching Mixbus, right-click on your taskbar at the bottom of the screen and choose Task Manager - then click the field that says CPU (so that all the active processes come to the top of the list...)

Now start Mixbus and see if you can figure out what's holding up the CPU. Does Mixbus suddenly start using loads of CPU time or is it something else (like your sound driver - or even an antivirus package maybe?)

[Edit...] Another thing you could try...

After Mixbus launches, select Window->Preferences->Show->Plugins->VST. Untick the box to scan for plugins on application start and then re-launch Mixbus. Does the re-launch still take as long ??
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
Thank you for all of the suggestions.

What we have found thus far is, as this is a beast of a computer things should open near instantly. We have been able to get it to open instantly by setting it to "Run as Administrator". Opens no problem at all now, however, trying to load and open the GUI for the AVA plugins causes the program to not respond. All other default plugins work without issue.

Two things come to mind:

1. In reviewing the processes we found the wait tree prioritizing other systems ahead of Mixbus. Setting Mixbus to run as Administrator overrides the wait tree and prioritizes Mixbus as number one. This solved the initial issue of opening the application and waiting three minutes to load.

2. We just saw another thread/post in this forum that the AVA plugin products cause the application to crash when trying to open the GUI.

3. We are now testing the application by setting the application priority in Task Manager, under Details Tab to realtime rather than normal.

more to follow...... Smile
(12-11-2020, 03:18 PM)rcoleman180 Wrote: as this is a beast of a computer things should open near instantly. We have been able to get it to open instantly by setting it to "Run as Administrator".

Can you try turning off your Windows Automatic Updates for a few days (or even a couple of weeks) and see if that changes anything? (you need to re-boot after changing the Update setting)

I own a PC which was once very sprightly and quick to start stuff - but about a year ago it suddenly went very sluggish for days at a time (yes, literally DAYS!) This was happening month after month after month and it turned out to be due to Automatic Updates.

Windows carries out frequent updates but the days are long gone when they were small and non-troublesome. It's quite common nowadays for a Windows update to be 1/3rd of a gigabyte or even more!! The download can cripple your PC's performance - esp. if you've got a slow internet connection (or some other PC's are sharing it...)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
Question 
i am using a Dell OptiPlex 9020Shy
32GB RAM
WITH A 64 BIT WINDOWS 10 OPERATING SYSTEM,
i loaded the program separate into my 2nd 2 tb hard drive .
using 2 rooms needing to stretch a 25 ft hi-speed USB cable from a tascam 1641 16ch interface to computer in control room,Dodgy
i crashAngry all the time during mixdown even before i add plug in's, but never any problems with disruption during recording of drum tracks using 9 channels ,Rolleyes
i am thinking of getting another computer just for studio use,
i am not rich and i would love to go with a mac but can the extended hi-speed USB cable be the main problemHuh, i do know now of 2 people using PC with mixbus same issues but not as many crash times as me as they use a short usb cable,
this is my personal online computer and i even mixdown offline and still crashes galore,Angry
where do i go into my setting to maybe fix this matter ,Huh
Thank You,
P.S I LOVE Harrison Mixbus Heart i am a big fan of Analog and mixbus brings me closest to that feel then any other DAW i have used, the fact is i with hundreds of crashes since using this for the last 6 months have never lost my projects it always comes back where i crash asking me if i want to return where it crashed and always loads up in seconds, i am still so happy with this DAW:Angel
@ rcoleman180 & GADS -

Regarding your "High Speed" USB cables... Check out the information at this site:
http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cable-..._42-1.html
Keep in mind that the above applies only to "ideal" cable construction. There are MANY manufactured USB cables that do not live up to these specifications.

Also... Please report back with your observations of the condition when you have tried disabling the plugin scan and starting up of plugins in non-GUI mode.
Both of these suggestions have helped resolve or at least isolate issues for others in the past.

Finally.... You can specify WHEN upgrades happen in Windows 10 (Pro and Enterprise versions) so they don't interfere with your computer during "session hours".

Cheers!
Patrick
(12-13-2020, 09:36 PM)PBuryk Wrote: @ rcoleman180 & GADS -

Regarding your "High Speed" USB cables... Check out the information at this site:
http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cable-..._42-1.html
Keep in mind that the above applies only to "ideal" cable construction. There are MANY manufactured USB cables that do not live up to these specifications.

Also... Please report back with your observations of the condition when you have tried disabling the plugin scan and starting up of plugins in non-GUI mode.
Both of these suggestions have helped resolve or at least isolate issues for others in the past.

Finally.... You can specify WHEN upgrades happen in Windows 10 (Pro and Enterprise versions) so they don't interfere with your computer during "session hours".

Cheers!
Patrick

Thanks for the help,
my problem has been corrected by using my Soundcard at mixdown instead of the interface no interruptions what so ever!
it's been amazing i am easy!
P.S This Harrison Mixbus is Awesome i am truly enjoying the work with the drums and able to get that true analog feel,
Thanks
(12-06-2020, 08:42 PM)rcoleman180 Wrote: I'm a windows 10 user and while the Harrison system requirements states Windows 7 and does not specifically state Windows 10 I suspect there are major incompatibility issues with Windows 10. I'm running a Rysen 3950 (16 core) with 128GB of M.2 RAM and T's of SSD HD's. Mixbus 32c crashes or stops responding all of the time to the point where it is unusable as an application. As i mentioned it is most likely because Windows 10 is not supported yet. If I am wrong, please let me know.

Just some background:

3 minutes fifty three seconds to open,

2 minutes to load the Harrison Vocal Flow plugin

5 minutes into EQ'ing it goes into the not responding mode and I have to task manager -> end task

If anyone can think of any other reason feel free to let me know.

I will echo vanwinkle52's statement of loving the DAW.....for the brief moments it works I have found it very enjoyable to use.

Ron

I was having slow load times and found out that it was due to having the winMME box selected in the Audio/Midi window. Turning off midi gave me load times of around 10 seconds, which is quite acceptable, but there was no way that I was going to give up my synths or control surface.
After a lot of trial and error, I found out the culprit was the Window's GS Wavetable Synth. I unchecked that entry in the Midi Device Setup window and now it loads in 10 seconds with midi capabilities.