Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd Party Plugin Compressors that allow sidechain
Hi all ...Im not sure this may have been discussed at great length somewhere but recently Ive tried to use some of my regular 3rd party compressor plugins that usually support sidechaining functions but for some reason wont with Harrison. The side chain routing might appear for example, but cant be routed.
Ive found that the Harrison ones do but Im particularly interested in the frequency dependent plugins for compressing certain bandwidths. Waves F6 no longer functions for example.
Does anyone have any good 3rd party recommendations for comp plugins that work on 32C with the side chain function intact especially frequency conscious ones.
Interested in this as well.
https://mixingtheband.com
Home of The Ear Training Kit™
(10-31-2020, 10:43 AM)Jamie Harley Wrote: Does anyone have any good 3rd party recommendations for comp plugins that work on 32C with the side chain function intact especially frequency conscious ones.

Apart from the requirement that 3rd party of course should be able to work: There are two Mixbus-native plugins which offer frequency-dependent compression and are side chain ready:

XT-MC or AVA Multiband Compressor
https://harrisonconsolesstore.onfastspring.com/xt-mc

XT-SC or AVA Spectral Compressor
https://harrisonconsolesstore.onfastspring.com/xt-sc

Harrison plugins are top notch. The AVA versions have the same functionality and DSP as the XT versions, but can be used in other DAWs as well (AuVstAax)

XT-MC and XT-SC are preinstalled in your Mixbus and can be demoed.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(10-31-2020, 07:06 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 10:43 AM)Jamie Harley Wrote: Does anyone have any good 3rd party recommendations for comp plugins that work on 32C with the side chain function intact especially frequency conscious ones.

Apart from the requirement that 3rd party of course should be able to work: There are two Mixbus-native plugins which offer frequency-dependent compression and are side chain ready:

XT-MC or AVA Multiband Compressor
https://harrisonconsolesstore.onfastspring.com/xt-mc

XT-SC or AVA Spectral Compressor
https://harrisonconsolesstore.onfastspring.com/xt-sc

Harrison plugins are top notch. The AVA versions have the same functionality and DSP as the XT versions, but can be used in other DAWs as well (AuVstAax)

XT-MC and XT-SC are preinstalled in your Mixbus and can be demoed.

MMM
And they work great, really no need for third party.
Alex
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
Am not in front of Mixbus at the moment, but I do not think the SC can be side-chained.
The AVA Multi-Band on the other hand has side-chain including EQ and Solo and is really really fast.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(10-31-2020, 09:35 PM)Dingo Wrote: Am not in front of Mixbus at the moment, but I do not think the SC can be side-chained.

I double-checked Smile
MMM

Linux throughout!

(10-31-2020, 11:52 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 09:35 PM)Dingo Wrote: Am not in front of Mixbus at the moment, but I do not think the SC can be side-chained.

I double-checked Smile
MMM

Yes but try and patch that SC blue link...
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(11-01-2020, 12:42 AM)Dingo Wrote: Yes but try and patch that SC blue link...

Dang!
Linux throughout!

Indeed I have found that many compressors third party or otherwise look like this when you are trying to patch the side chain ...I thank you for the heads up with the Multiband which as it happens I do already have.
But this is a limited option when you are particularly looking for a compressor flavour on a track and to be limited to one compressor that will work when you are mixing is not very accommodating.
Is this it ? Are we down to 2 Harrison plugins that can be sidechained for all mixes ? Is there some aspect of third party plugins that can work fine with Logic Ableton and Protools but can’t work with Harrison ? This is an important aspect to mixing in the box for me and seems an oversight currently. Creating busses for parallel compression that are controlled by other channels or busses seems fundamental to in the box mixes these days. Or am I being greedy for wanting other flavours ?
(11-01-2020, 04:16 AM)Jamie Harley Wrote: Is this it ? Are we down to 2 Harrison plugins that can be sidechained for all mixes ? Is there some aspect of third party plugins that can work fine with Logic Ableton and Protools but can’t work with Harrison ? This is an important aspect to mixing in the box for me and seems an oversight currently. Creating busses for parallel compression that are controlled by other channels or busses seems fundamental to in the box mixes these days. Or am I being greedy for wanting other flavours ?
If you want other flavours, try Fab Filter Pro_MB also not multiband, but SC enabled are the FF Pro-C2 and gratis is the ACE Compressor. .. (that's as far as my wallet goes...)
You cannot compare with Pro Tools, as the AAX format takes SC out of the plugin designers hands, the host DAW does that.
If you are on macOS then the Waves Compressor range is available as a SC option in AU format plugins only. VST3 may change that... I am not sure.
As to New York compression etc. on MB you should create additional Aux Sends in the Channel area to create the extra paths, or upgrade to 32C for the Bus 9-12 re-assignment option.
MB has less features than 32C which is aimed at people with more complicated requirements and this I think is reflected in the price.

Harrison tend to offer 32C at crazy prices a couple of times a year.