Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vst scanner error
Hi All
I have a Fresh install of windows 10 and mixbus32c v6.1.22 (Rev 6.1-22-ge24d44d) 64 bit

I am getting the following error with a specific plugin by Plugin boutique called Scaler 2

ardour-vst-scanner.exe - ordinal not found

The Ordinal 31 could not be located in the dynamic link library
c:\windows\system32\essential.dll

This plugin loads in fine on ableton live and reaper but causes mixbus and ardour to throw up the error above

I have all of the latest windows update installed

any advice is greatly appreciated

it also does this in ardour 6 which suggests that is a problem with the ardour-scanner and not the plugin
I've searched the Ardour source code for the word "ordinal" but it doesn't appear anywhere - so this suggests it's a Windows error you're seeing.

What is essential.dll? If you don't know, contact Plugin Boutique and ask if it's something to do with them.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
Hi Johne53

Thanks for your response and having a look through the source code.
I did a whole lot more digging I to this last night and although this only manifests itself with ardour/mixbus I agree it is definitely a plugin issue.
If you are interested the essentia.dll is here https://github.com/MTG/essentia and it is indeed deployed by the plugin.

I heard nothing back from the software devs for scaler :-(

Thank you again for taking time to have a look at this
Maybe Ableton and Reaper have some way of instructing Windows not to display error messages during a scan (i.e. some way that Ardour & Mixbus dpn't know about yet...)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
Any word on this? I just bought Scaler 2 and this is still happening in 32C V6.2.26. The error comes up when it tries to scan both the VST version and the VST3 version.
i5-8400 - 16GB - Big SSD & HD - Win10 Pro - Mixbus - Studio One
UAD Apollo Quad Firewire - Quad FW satellite - PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8 - Console 1
Lots of guitars - I build all my own tube amps

So Plugin Boutique finally got back to me on my support request. Basically they COMPLETELY blew me off and closed the ticket. Their answer was we have no idea what is causing this error... go to our forums and see if a developer there will help you or if a user has found a work-around. Exclamation Huh

I replied and let them know I found out a lot of info on why they have a problem with this in two minutes (Google is your friend) and that if they don't take this request more seriously they lost a customer.

What a huge disappointment in Plugin Boutique!
FaderPort 8 - Console 1

So... Plugin Boutique is basically saying they have no desire to help with this. Is there any way a Mixbus developer can help resolve this? Is there a plugin scan logfile I can view and maybe send to them?
FaderPort 8 - Console 1