Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you prefer to use reverb, delay sends from the mix buses, audio buses or tracks?
Hello
Do you generally prefer to use reverb, delay sends from the mix buses, audio buses or individual tracks?
it seems to me that if one uses sends from the individual tracks than any fader automation applied on the mixbus would upset the mix balance between tracks and their sends.
I know there are different approaches but is it better to send from the mixbuses if you plan to automate them? Or is it best to group tracks in an audio bus, apply a reverb send from there and then send the audio bus's output to a mixbus and leave the mixbus fader alone? Or Is it best to have reverb sends from individual tracks? So what is your preferred method for applying reverb to your mix in mixbus?
Thanks, any advice is appreciated
-M
I prefer 32C and use the extra (9-12) Mixbusses as Reverb or FX returns.
Full delay comp on Aux sends does also allow for pre fader tricks, so it depends on the situation.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(10-18-2020, 02:49 AM)Dingo Wrote: I prefer 32C and use the extra (9-12) Mixbusses as Reverb or FX returns.
Full delay comp on Aux sends does also allow for pre fader tricks, so it depends on the situation.

Thanks Dingo. I'm using mixbus (not 32c). At the moment I have most tracks grouped into appropriate mix buses..Bass, key's, synths...etc, and reverb sends being balanced from each individual track post-fader then sending the reverb aux track to a mix bus. but I was thinking it may be easier to just send post-fader from the mix buses for general blend reverb.
-m
Only just getting into Mixbus here, so cannot say for that DAW. My usual DAW is Nuendo, and in this I almost always use Reverbs as an FX return and send to them as Post-Fader.
The benefit of this for me is that I can then add a dynamics processor after the reverb, and sidechain this from a different track. This creates a far more dynamic effect and can be used with either a gate or a compressor - indeed, I almost never use a straight reverb these days.
It is more complicated than seems. For example, you can put on a mono track a mono delay, a mono/stereo delay and a stereo delay as well. since the pinconnetors introduction it is possible
But all the three delays of the same kind (EG Waves H-dalay) will give different results and more different if you use it as sends on mixbuses.
No general rule, all depends what you want, sometimes sending the R gtr's reverb to the Left and vica versa makes the guitar sound better in the mix. Only One thing is sure:
if you put a reverb (any fx) on the track and pan it the reverb will follow the panning, while if it is on the stere bus it will give another space.

As to reverb when I started learning and practicing mixing wery hard long ago I mixed without any reverb bacause I could not understand it and wanted to achieve only a great balance first. Later I learnt the overlayed reverb method when you have buses for room, plate and hall separately and add as sends to the trackas you want to and as much as you feel right. That solved my "fight" with reverb in a minute.
So no general rule or prcess in this regard, only a lot experiment with different aimsSmile

best
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
Almost always on one mix bus, only one reverb for everything if possible. I do almost always record electric guitars with reverb, delay, and all the other stuff which works well for me most of the time.

The fun thing is that it have happened two-three times or so that some other engineers or musicians have told me to use the same reverb for vocals and drums in order to "make everything sound as it's from the same room!" when I still actually do that, which just reminds me that the ears sometimes are a pair of big stupid liars!  :-)
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox