Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuzzy fonts and blurry GUI - 4k monitor w10
Hi,

Another new user question: on my dual boot machine (trying to migrate to windows) Mixbus looks fantastic on mojave but all of its GUIs are very fuzzy in windows. Fonts are fuzzy and thin have a greenish tint. They get slightly sharper on mouse over. I've tried playing with the scaling and advanced scaling settings in doze and MB as well as switching the graphics settings around (power saving<>high performance) and nothing seem to help. Plugin GUIs and system window bars are sharp.

A have a 4K monitor plugged into an RX580 with updated drivers and the most recent version of W10.

Thanks in advance! Screenshot attached

-B

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Launch a Mixbus session and choose Window->Preferences->Show->Appearance. Does it help if you adjust the GUI and Font scaling slider? Mine's set at the next notch higher than 100% - and in Windows own Advanced Scaling settings, I've set my scaling to 125% and clicked the option that says Let Windows try to fix apps so they're not blurry
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
Fuzzy and tinted are symptomatic of your scaling settings in Win10. The further you get away from 100%,200%, etc. the worse it will get. Like johne53 I set my scaling to 125% in Win10 and while there is a slight color shift on white fonts sometimes it does not really bother me. If I was doing graphic design or video work it might, but this is for DAW only and if an EQ label is a little bit "yellow/greenish" occasionally on random spots on the screen, it doesn't really bother me.

FWIW, I use a 40" Visio 4k TV - middle-of-the-road model - not their best but not their cheapest either.

I'll have to look into that "Advanced Scaling" option... I have no idea what that "Let Windows try to fix..." setting is for me.
i5-8400 - 16GB - Big SSD & HD - Win10 Pro - Mixbus - Studio One
UAD Apollo Quad Firewire - Quad FW satellite - PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8 - Console 1
Lots of guitars - I build all my own tube amps

For Mixbus 6.0 and 6.1 you may also have to override the high DPI setting (depends on your OS defaults):

(11-05-2020, 04:48 AM)x42 Wrote: For Mixbus 6.0 and 6.1 you may also have to override the high DPI setting (depends on your OS defaults):
Thank you..
Where do we find these Ardour properties settings in MB6.1-32C
Windows 10 Pro, 64bit, 16Gb memory, Intel i5 quad 4 (3,450Mhz), Audient ID22,
Reaper, 32C Ver5.1 (Rev 5'1), 32C Version 6
amsmarle - I think they're actually Win10 properties.

Right-click on your Mixbus icon (e.g. in the Start menu or wherever), then click Properties and then Change high DPI settings
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(11-06-2020, 06:49 AM)johne53 Wrote: amsmarle - I think they're actually Win10 properties.

Right-click on your Mixbus icon (e.g. in the Start menu or wherever), then click Properties and then Change high DPI settings
Thank You..x42 and Johne53
Windows 10 Pro, 64bit, 16Gb memory, Intel i5 quad 4 (3,450Mhz), Audient ID22,
Reaper, 32C Ver5.1 (Rev 5'1), 32C Version 6