Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why dual mono files when recording in stereo?
Currently we treat imported files and recorded files identically. In your specific case of importing a stereo file, it is kinda dumb to split it into 2 separate files, and potentially a different bit-depth. That is something that should be improved someday.

But as you've found it is possible to save that extra disk space by storing the original stereo file "in the session's own interchange folder".

I don't anticipate that you will cause any issues doing that. But it's always a good idea to backup your important data and then "open the backup on a different computer!" to make sure you got what you thought you got.

-Ben
(09-17-2020, 12:13 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Currently we treat imported files and recorded files identically. In your specific case of importing a stereo file, it is kinda dumb to split it into 2 separate files, and potentially a different bit-depth. That is something that should be improved someday.

That would be great. Recording that way made sense back when the FAT file size restriction was 2GB. It's arguable that it is no longer necessary, but it makes sense. But there really isn't a logical reason to split interleaved files on import. I'm perfectly happy with my workaround, so no biggie. Still, it might be worth adding to the manual so that people in my situation know that the files will be split, giving them the option of importing another way.

Quote:But it's always a good idea to backup your important data...

Absolutely! I backup and verify obsessively.
It should be mentioned that panning a stereo file is not really panning. It's a balance control for the right and left channels so you can't get the right channel too pan left and visa versa unless you have different panning modes. In Dual mono panning is actually panning.
(09-24-2020, 05:30 AM)metrobot Wrote: It should be mentioned that panning a stereo file is not really panning. It's a balance control for the right and left channels so you can't get the right channel too pan left and visa versa unless you have different panning modes. In Dual mono panning is actually panning.

While that is indeed true, the MB interface presents it as balance control regardless. When you record onto a stereo track (or import an interleaved file) both the left and right channels are placed on the same track and the resulting recording (or import) is listed as a stereo source. While the files are technically mono on the back end the only option you have on the track is balance control. So, in your example, the only way you could reverse the panning would be to delete the stereo track from your project and then import the recorded files separately as mono tracks. That is why the Stereo Routing plug-in is included in the program, so that you don't have to do such things.

You could, of course, record the left and right mics of a stereo array as two mono files, but I don't know why you would. Now, keep in mind that I'm saying that as an exclusively classical engineer. I would never, for example, want to put the first violins on the other side of the orchestra... In fact, I can only think of one time I have ever needed to reverse channels that I intentionally recorded in stereo, and that was because I accidentally reversed the mic inputs on my field recorder. And in that scenario it's Stereo Routing plug-in to the rescue!