Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plugin Window
I really like the Plugin Window in Reaper. Clcick the FX button on a track and the plugin window pops up. You have the track plugin list on the left and the Plugin GUI on the right. You can select a plugin on the left side and see it's GUI on the right. You can also double click a plugin to float it's window if you want to see several at the same time. I prefer Mixbus32C over Reaper, but would love to see this implemented in Mixbus.
I'm not a fan of that view in reaper. The size of the window changes dramatically with the plugins, and the left side is usually a big blank area which obscures your view of the main window.

Your mileage may vary, of course. If you are used to reaper's way then I can see how it would be frustrating to miss it.

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to add this kind of plugin display; but there is always an expense of complexity (both to the user and us developers) if there are lots of similar but redundant ways to do things.

The benefit of reaper's implementation is that you can select between the plugins and 'switch' between them. But the drawback is you can't have more than one visible (I think?)

I'm not a fan of countless options; but perhaps this is a case where we add an option: "when showing a plugin for a track, hide any other visible windows" ... that would let you switch between the plugins rather than manage multiple windows. And the plugin list/reordering is already visible in our strips, we don't need reaper's plugin window for that.
(09-15-2020, 10:24 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: I'm not a fan of that view in reaper. The size of the window changes dramatically with the plugins, and the left side is usually a big blank area which obscures your view of the main window.

Your mileage may vary, of course. If you are used to reaper's way then I can see how it would be frustrating to miss it.

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to add this kind of plugin display; but there is always an expense of complexity (both to the user and us developers) if there are lots of similar but redundant ways to do things.

The benefit of reaper's implementation is that you can select between the plugins and 'switch' between them. But the drawback is you can't have more than one visible (I think?)

I'm not a fan of countless options; but perhaps this is a case where we add an option: "when showing a plugin for a track, hide any other visible windows" ... that would let you switch between the plugins rather than manage multiple windows. And the plugin list/reordering is already visible in our strips, we don't need reaper's plugin window for that.

Reaper does allow you to "float" the plugins so that you have many open. You can even save the way they are displayed so they open however you organized them. I'm not comparing Mixbus with Reaper. I seem to keep gravitating toward Mixbus. It's just more fun and intuitive for me. I don't have a problem with the way Mixbus displays the plugin list, but what I don't care for are the squiggly pin connection lines in the plugin list when you have a stereo plugin on a mono track. I would like to see an option to hide them. Then I would be perfectly happy.
+1 for this option!