Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Splitting stereo track into dual mono?
Hi, is there a simple way to split a stereo track into 2 mono tracks? I found this command: Edit=> Make mono regions but it doesn't seem to do anything. I browsed the manual as well to no avail.

It's weird that there's no "mono" button per track either..... (I know there's a plugin to do that but for quick checking a dedicated button would be better)

Thanks
Dirk
(09-11-2020, 02:39 AM)Dirk Offringa Wrote: Hi, is there a simple way to split a stereo track into 2 mono tracks? I found this command: Edit=> Make mono regions but it doesn't seem to do anything. I browsed the manual as well to no avail.

"Make mono regions" makes the regions, you can see it when you have the Editor List on the right hand side on. It doesn't insert them into the session or convert the original into mono.

(09-11-2020, 02:39 AM)Dirk Offringa Wrote: It's weird that there's no "mono" button per track either..... (I know there's a plugin to do that but for quick checking a dedicated button would be better)

That mono button would have to be moveable to before/after plugins/faders as all of them can alter phases between channels, resulting in different mono sums when "monoed".

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(09-11-2020, 06:04 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: "Make mono regions" makes the regions, you can see it when you have the Editor List on the right hand side on. It doesn't insert them into the session or convert the original into mono.

MMM

That's what I expected (and would have suited me fine), but nothing seems to happen. The originals were recorded in Mixbus so they are already split into seperate mono files for l & r.

I expect "make mono regions" to be a command for creating 2 seperate regions for l & r, am I correct? I don't need a "make regions mono" function which would, logically speaking, sum both channels into one.

Ok, got it. They end up in the "sources" list, not in the "regions" list where I expected them.

That was confusing. Maybe this could be made more intuitive! Like "generate mono sources from selected regions"

Thanks!
(09-11-2020, 02:39 AM)Dirk Offringa Wrote: Hi, is there a simple way to split a stereo track into 2 mono tracks? I found this command: Edit=> Make mono regions but it doesn't seem to do anything. I browsed the manual as well to no avail.

It's weird that there's no "mono" button per track either..... (I know there's a plugin to do that but for quick checking a dedicated button would be better)

Thanks
Dirk
A quick and easy way is to use to the REGION menu to EXPORT the stereo track and then import it back in as two mono tracks by checking ONE CHANNEL PER TRACK in the MAPPING box.