Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delay+pitch shifter
Hello. I was just wondering which software delays can increase or decrease the pitch of the echos (delay tails). It´s an effect i love but never have had one of those delays. In the past i have used both: a delay plus a pitch shifter, but it´s hard to make them work right, so i guess there are delays that do that accurately, in time.
Those effects depend on the pitch-shifter being inside the feedback loop of the delay. That might be why you can't get the effect you expect.

We have a plugin for this in our R&D right now, but I have no idea when or if it will get released.

Another option is to set up a feedback path within Mixbus itself. If you make an aux send in a mixbus, and assign it back to an aux bus, it will allow a feedback path (and remove that bus from the latency-compensation graph ... you've been warned!). Re-assign that aux bus to the same mixbus that is "sending" to it. Put a delay and pitch-shifter on the sending or receiving bus (it doesn't matter which) and assign one (it doesn't matter which) to the Master. The delay effect should be set to little or no feedback, since your feedback will be coming from this external loop.

The nice thing about doing it this way is you have the full channel capabilities ... eq, compressor, plugins, and fader ... in the feedback loop.

Note that there is "one soundcard buffer size" of extra latency in the loop ... which is usually not a problem, but it does change the sound if you change the soundcard buffersize.

-Ben
Thanks Ben, as always, for your feedback and support
Just a thought... since pitch shift (pitch correction, too) is actually a delay effect with variable time: shouldn't it be possible to automate the delay time in a certain way to achieve this? I wish I had time right now to try this out...
Try and load the 3D delay and then move the "dots" around during playback and you see what I mean.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
I remember doing that with an Eventide H910 or a Yamaha SPX900 with the pitch shift program. Most spacey! Haven't tried it with software but there must be a plugin somewhere...

Ah, yes. Eventide have several plugins including a software reimagining of their classic H910 Harmonizer - https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/p...910-plugin
Their MicroPitch is somewhat more affordable and probably would be great for those kinds of effects - https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/e...micropitch
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

I have the H3000 ... pretty clunky graphics and from my memory it does not quite sound as good as the Hardware version.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
I would LOVE to have a delay effect in MixBus that allows me to mimic some of my Yamaha SP90 tricks. I have a standard vocal effect preset for pitching up +9 on the Left and pitching down -9 on the Right of a lead vocal send. Having the ability to do this is MixBus would be outstanding.