Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to use Halion SE in Mixbus? (solved)
Rainbow 
I have also the stand-alone version that works fine in any other DAW.
But also after a rescan, it doesn't find Halion SE. Padshop is there.
Steinberg offering it to be used with any other workstations.
Any idea or does it really mean (again) nope - not with Mixbus?
iMac 5K Retina, i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB Flash, Catalina; Harrison Mixbus 32Cv6; Nuendo 10; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; Qcon Pro G2; Genelec 8020A & 7040APM
(07-26-2020, 09:13 AM)Till Wrote: I have also the stand-alone version that works fine in any other DAW.
But also after a rescan, it doesn't find Halion SE. Padshop is there.
Steinberg offering it to be used with any other workstations.
Any idea or does it really mean (again) nope - not with Mixbus?

I have downloaded Halion SE 3 and after some trouble with their eLicenser Control Center (it needs to be the latest version to work) I have Halion basically existing as a stand alone, in Live as VST3 and in MB_32C v6 on macOS as an AU plugin.

The Download Manager and Licensing is a real hassle.. I have not been able to actually check any audio paths.

I'm not interested in buying a sample set and the device does not ship with even one simple sample to test.

That aside I have been able to install and create a multi output instance, MIDI traffic tallys light up and I can see my choice of controllers.

A few things to note:
This plugin ships as Stand alone - VST3, AU and AAX only despite what the blurb says, no VST(2) is loaded or present on the installer.

You need to load the standalone first to get the authorisation to work, it will not auto-install / launch from either DAW I tried on (MB, Live or Resolve).

Even though I could see the Component file (AU), Mixbus does not 'see' it during a plugin scan until it is authorised.... I assume this may be something to do with eLicenser as I don't have this with missing iLok or other authorisation systems (Fab Filter, PA etc).

Perhaps try clearing the AU Blacklist in Preferences then do a rescan.

Once you do launch in Mixbus make sure you OK the security request to allow eLicenser to gain access to your Helper system.

Whilst I can get it to load, I cannot get it to automagically fan-out across the potential 16 stereo pairs... that may be a function of the AU format... I am not sure...

However if you manually add additional pinout outputs making sure you drag the pin connectors across.

Then add 16 Audio Tracks and use Audio Connections Manager to route those.

Anyway if you can get through the hurdle of Steinberg's sample system I am impressed. If this works for you, I would suggest you save as a template for future sessions.

Am now regretting testing this product as it puts yet another sudo iLok on my system... if Steinberg is giving free access, why the need for eLicense nonsense in the first place?

It just makes installs on any DAW more complicated than necessary.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Rainbow 
(08-05-2020, 03:02 AM)Dingo Wrote: I have downloaded Halion SE 3 and after some trouble with their eLicenser Control Center (it needs to be the latest version to work) I have Halion basically existing as a stand alone, in Live as VST3 and in MB_32C v6 on macOS as an AU plugin.

Hi Dingo, thank you very much for your support.
Yes, Setinberg's eLicenser is quite a pain - for many users.
To be honest, I finally came to the conclusion to do the recording and composing work with Nuendo, export the stems, and continue mixing in MB. I post another workflow example here.

I think this is the ideal combination.
There is another little bug in MB:
If you record in cycle mode, sometimes there will be a tiny splitter audio piece left. You really need to zoom in a lot to get it visible, but you here some funny noise (clicks etc.) from that tiny piece the has been left there.
iMac 5K Retina, i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB Flash, Catalina; Harrison Mixbus 32Cv6; Nuendo 10; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; Qcon Pro G2; Genelec 8020A & 7040APM