Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple analog EQ 's on one track???
Hello guys!

I have a potentially silly question that relates I guess to both recording techniques as well as actual Analog consoles.

On an actual analog console, how was surgical EQ performed to clean up a track?
For example did engineers only use the onboard EQ section of the console or did they also patch in more EQ's to perform more surgical moves. Or let's say they needed more bands, would they simply just patch in another EQ or did they just use the EQ on that channel and do the best they could using those?

I guess maybe the same question applies for the onboard compressors on each channel too?

So was it common for engineers to patch in an extra EQ for further tweaking a track/tracks?

When I see credits saying recorded and mixed on let's say Harrison, SSL...etc
Does this mean that everything was mixed through that particular console's EQ/Compression channels alone?

Thanks much!
The answer I think comes from the fact that there were a lot other analogue gears beside consoles in studios. And a lot other approaches to recording and mixing that is too long to list here. Plugin producers have been taking pains to emulate those old great analogue gears like 1176, LA2a, PulseTec EQ and a lot more....

I always wondered when guys boosted here they did ALL the mix in MB using nothing else. Sure it could be done but have these been ever compared to a mix in MB but using some 3rd party plugins, too, that not exist among the XT- plugs?
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(07-25-2020, 10:48 AM)reapermusic Wrote: On an actual analog console, how was surgical EQ performed to clean up a track?
For example did engineers only use the onboard EQ section of the console or did they also patch in more EQ's to perform more surgical moves.

So was it common for engineers to patch in an extra EQ for further tweaking a track/tracks?

It was common practise to have an outboard rack of gear that could be patched across a track or Bus depending on what was needed.
Urei 565 notch filter, Klark teknik graphic eq or a Urei 545 parametric EQ where common outboard items found in many studios
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(07-25-2020, 03:28 PM)Dingo Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 10:48 AM)reapermusic Wrote: On an actual analog console, how was surgical EQ performed to clean up a track?
For example did engineers only use the onboard EQ section of the console or did they also patch in more EQ's to perform more surgical moves.

It was common practise to have an outboard rack of gear that could be patched across a track or Bus depending on what was needed.
Urei 565 notch filter, Klark teknik graphic eq or a Urei 545 parametric EQ where common outboard items found in many studios
Years ago the reputation of a studio had a lot to do with what was in the outboard rack, it's mic-pres as well as what was in the microphone collection. The signal chain... the patchbay!
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
This is a really good observation
Estudio Dream Big
Mixbus 32c V6 - Intel i5 2390T - 6GB RAM - HDD 7200 RPM - Tascam US 16x08 - Win7
Nothing can go wrong!
Thanks for all these great responses guys, very informative and totally answered my questions!
Much appreciated! Awesome
(07-25-2020, 03:28 PM)Dingo Wrote:

The difference is that you only had a certain number of these in the rack, clearly not enough to put one on every track. So you had to make sure the recording is top notch and possibly compressed/eq-ed already so you could get away with console channel EQ on most channels.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths