Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the Best Program for MIDI?
So in the days of real (hardware) synths I guess this must've all been a bit clunky - and probably expensive too !!
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(08-05-2020, 09:54 AM)johne53 Wrote: So in the days of real (hardware) synths I guess this must've all been a bit clunky - and probably expensive too !!
Yup, for me I'm glad those days are over. I have not had a hardware synth for over 25 years now.
My Studio Specs

I track, edit and manage tracks in Studio One Pro V6/CbB. I try to always mix in Mixbus32C.

“It did what all ads are supposed to do: create an anxiety relievable by purchase.”
― David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest
So if you do your initial work in Studio One or Cubase, do they produce Midi files which you then need to transfer into Mixbus somehow ?
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(08-05-2020, 10:43 AM)johne53 Wrote: So if you do your initial work in Studio One or Cubase, do they produce Midi files which you then need to transfer into Mixbus somehow ?

Yes, one could do that.

However for me, I prefer to render my MIDI in Studio One to audio and only work with audio exports at the point I'm ready to work in Mixbus 32C.
My Studio Specs

I track, edit and manage tracks in Studio One Pro V6/CbB. I try to always mix in Mixbus32C.

“It did what all ads are supposed to do: create an anxiety relievable by purchase.”
(08-05-2020, 10:43 AM)johne53 Wrote: So if you do your initial work in Studio One or Cubase, do they produce Midi files which you then need to transfer into Mixbus somehow ?

Generally, the tempo map is all.

I draw a distinction between PPWN based MIDI recording/sequencing...and MIDI triggering of VIs. I trigger VIs on nearly every record I make. About the only reason I use MIDI SEQUENCING/recording is to arrange strings. I wouldn't dream of doing that in Mixbus. I would LOVE to have a secondary buffer so that I can have a <= 256 sample@96khz virtual rhodes or grand and record the audio output.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com
Hello folks!

It would be very helpful if you also explain why you use other DAWs for MIDI and not just namedrop DAWs that most people already at least know by name. :-) By saying that you just use that and that one doesn't explain what you miss in Mixbus or exactly why you use another one.

If I can speak for my self, then I now also use Mixbus for MIDI, even tempo mapping - which means that I basically use Mixbus for audio/MIDI recording/sequencing, editing, and of course mixing. To me, it's very nice to do it all in one DAW, and I guess that most professionals also do that even when it might be programs that do for example MIDI better.

The only thing I find difficult now with MIDI is tempo mapping, which I use for adapting to exciting click-less live audio (fairly easy) and for slowing down tempo (lentando) in a natural way at the end of a melody (that is a hard one for me), and but it's getting easier and easier (except for natural lentando).

I have also used Mixbus many as a backing track player live and used MIDI for controlling light and program changes.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
Every DAW, when it comes to MIDI, has pros and cons. Currently my two favourite programs for Midi are Digital Performer and Ableton Live. That has changed over time..my favourite used to be Logic (back when it was Emagic's)
(08-05-2020, 03:21 PM)Jostein Wrote: Hello folks!

It would be very helpful if you also explain why you use other DAWs for MIDI and not just namedrop DAWs that most people already at least know by name. :-)
OK. Workflow. I prefer the MIDI editing workflow of my other DAWs over Mixbus.

And as we all know workflow is a personal matter not be touted as "the one true path" to audio excellence for everyone.
My Studio Specs

Wow!
seems like everyone woke up with MIDI on the mind today!

Ok.. So, to answer "bapu"'s question...
"Back in the day", I found MIDI extremely advantageous because of its ability to store
performances in very small data files. Keep in mind, we're talking back when about
the best one could find for their "DAW" was a HDD of about 1-2 GB and most of us
had to back up to 8mm tape cartridges. I could create, gee, about 10-20 MIDI tracks
for an arrangement and store everything on a 1.2 MB Floppy disk!!!! And, I could
call that up at any time and edit in changes or additional tracks very easily.
Want to change the key of the song? Easy! Just add a MIDI transpose value. Same
for speeding or slowing the tempo. Change a passage to be super impossible to play?
No problem with step or pencil editing. Change the voicing of a piano or string voice
to better suite the arrangement? Got it - set a patch change. The whole arrangement
could then be played out on a drum machine and a couple or multi-timbre synths.
(Yes, bapu, a single synth could indeed play more than one sound at a time, via
different MIDI channels).

Performing with MIDI presented some challenges - mostly to other players in the
band, but was often successful... The drummer, for example, had to play in strict
time with the MIDI time track, be that a simple click or a kick/snare/HH mix-down
(in his headphones). The, everyone else just needed to follow the drummer. MIDI
made it possible too add background tracks to the band's performance and allowed
the Keyboard Player (me!) to change key voicings (piano to clav to strings to whatever) as pre-programmed into the recorded MIDI stream. I used a Yamaha
DX7II as a performance keyboard and, using the 32-onboard patch buttons,
sent out MIDI patch changes to a JLCooper MSB+ MIDI switcher which, in turn,
sent out patch change requests to whatever synth modules I was using at the time.
This allowed me to do the whole Rick Wakeman keyboard surround using only one
keyboard. A separate MIDI channel and tracks were used to control MIDI sound
processors - calling up different reverb / echo / etc settings for the band's PA
returns. Very cool!

Soooo,... that should give you what kinds of things one might have used (and, can
STILL use) MIDI for. And, from what I hear, it can also be used to control a light
show.

Anyway... Having found it so useful as a composing and arranging tool in the past,
I would like to bring that capability back into my workflow.

Cheers!
Patrick
(08-05-2020, 04:50 PM)PBuryk Wrote: Wow!
seems like everyone woke up with MIDI on the mind today!

Ok.. So, to answer "bapu"'s question...
"Back in the day", I found MIDI extremely advantageous because of its ability to store
performances in very small data files. Keep in mind, we're talking back when about
the best one could find for their "DAW" was a HDD of about 1-2 GB and most of us
had to back up to 8mm tape cartridges. I could create, gee, about 10-20 MIDI tracks
for an arrangement and store everything on a 1.2 MB Floppy disk!!!! And, I could
call that up at any time and edit in changes or additional tracks very easily.
Want to change the key of the song? Easy! Just add a MIDI transpose value. Same
for speeding or slowing the tempo. Change a passage to be super impossible to play?
No problem with step or pencil editing. Change the voicing of a piano or string voice
to better suite the arrangement? Got it - set a patch change. The whole arrangement
could then be played out on a drum machine and a couple or multi-timbre synths.
(Yes, bapu, a single synth could indeed play more than one sound at a time, via
different MIDI channels).

Performing with MIDI presented some challenges - mostly to other players in the
band, but was often successful... The drummer, for example, had to play in strict
time with the MIDI time track, be that a simple click or a kick/snare/HH mix-down
(in his headphones). The, everyone else just needed to follow the drummer. MIDI
made it possible too add background tracks to the band's performance and allowed
the Keyboard Player (me!) to change key voicings (piano to clav to strings to whatever) as pre-programmed into the recorded MIDI stream. I used a Yamaha
DX7II as a performance keyboard and, using the 32-onboard patch buttons,
sent out MIDI patch changes to a JLCooper MSB+ MIDI switcher which, in turn,
sent out patch change requests to whatever synth modules I was using at the time.
This allowed me to do the whole Rick Wakeman keyboard surround using only one
keyboard. A separate MIDI channel and tracks were used to control MIDI sound
processors - calling up different reverb / echo / etc settings for the band's PA
returns. Very cool!

Soooo,... that should give you what kinds of things one might have used (and, can
STILL use) MIDI for. And, from what I hear, it can also be used to control a light
show.

Anyway... Having found it so useful as a composing and arranging tool in the past,
I would like to bring that capability back into my workflow.

Cheers!
Patrick

Wooowww...you brought back a flurry of memories!!  That broke it down!!! lol

I've been toying with a new DAW, after over a decade with Cakewalk Sonar...  I chose MixBus due to the wonderful things I'd been hearing about the mix/mastering engine.  I'm definitely a "one DAW" guy so that's my next task...see exactly "why" MixBus is consistently knocked for it's lack of Midi Editing.  More to follow...