Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who has the SSL 2+ interface? Cabling question.
rdesanti, Like you I use my interface connected to my analog console. Now I don't use a Mackie 1402 VLZ. I use an A&H GL2400 24. however, I do have a Mackie 1602 VLZ, I actually have an Alesis adat Blackface 8 track recorder cabled up to the 1602. My interface is a Tascam US 20x20 so I can run in to the A&H and feed Aux outs to the channel inputs of my Behringer Pro XL 4 channel headphone amp. I could easily do that with the Mackie or any of the other mixers that I have. The A&H has an output matrix, but I like to keep it simple. I will take a look at the 1604 and think about different ways it could be done. I will diagram my cable routing for easy comparison. I don't have the SSL 2+ interface but I understand it's output config. Sounds like fun, I'll get back to you. And I do understand what you are asking in your original post.
Peace
Alex
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
(08-10-2020, 06:40 PM)Theotherguy Wrote: rdesanti, Like you I use my interface connected to my analog console. Now I don't use a Mackie 1402 VLZ. I use an A&H GL2400 24. however, I do have a Mackie 1602 VLZ, I actually have an Alesis adat Blackface 8 track recorder cabled up to the 1602. My interface is a Tascam US 20x20 so I can run in to the A&H and feed Aux outs to the channel inputs of my Behringer Pro XL 4 channel headphone amp. I could easily do that with the Mackie or any of the other mixers that I have. The A&H has an output matrix, but I like to keep it simple. I will take a look at the 1604 and think about different ways it could be done. I will diagram my cable routing for easy comparison. I don't have the SSL 2+ interface but I understand it's output config. Sounds like fun, I'll get back to you. And I do understand what you are asking in your original post.
Peace
Alex
THANK YOU BRUTHA! Big Grin
Mini Mac i7, 3 GHz, 16GB RAM, OSX Monterey v12.6.5, 4 SSD drives, dual 27" displays. Mixbus 32C Latest, SSL 2+ interface, Mackie VLZ 1402 mixer and Mackie Mk3 8" monitors. Owner of LOGIC AUDIO PRODUCTIONS, Lake Havasu City, Arizona USA Cool
No time for something very comprehensive...

Clearly you want to use your Mackie for the studio monitors (on main) and the headphone mixes (aux 1+2 into the ART).
So your sources go into input 1-6 and your Computer-interface-output into one of the Mackie stereo-inputs for listening/monitoring/backtrack.
You want to make "borrow" inserts to go into your audio interface from channel 1-6: that way you get six raw signals, using the Mackie pre-s, for recording six tracks, no matter what you do with the mixer.
Now, really, why would you want to have a 2 channel interface with that?

I've been working with a similar setup (Alesis Studio 32 and 2x M-Audio 1010LT and Behringer Powerplay for years and it worked like a charm.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
I just sat down with pencil and paper to see what we are looking at for ins and outs in the three units in question.
The SSL 2+ has: 5 pairs of stereo outputs
The Mackie 1402 VLZ has: 7 pairs of stereo outputs and 6 pairs of stereo inputs
The Behringer HeadAmp pro has: 6 individual stereo inputs feeding 6 individual stereo headphone channel outputs.
So, yes, you could feed and control your monitors and up to six headphone mix feeds. If you needed more signal paths you could go Mono via the Mackie.
Yes, you could send Main Outs (XLR) from the Mackie to your monitors but I would probably feed them with the control room output because that is on it's own fader. You wanted to be able to turn down your monitors and switch over to headphones.
Now, as far as what to patch to what... I hope you have an assortment of cables because to have all six separate mix feeds you are going to have to cable down to a TRS plug that would carry your L R and ground signal and not Hot Cold Ground that you would find using a balanced line. One way is to use an insert cable, L=Tip, R=Ring, Ground=Sleeve from TS (unbalanced) output jacks (L and R) to the Stereo Aux Input for the desired headphone channel on the Behringer. That's one way to get around that kind of cable issue. So it depends what you have for cables and how many mixes you need. You may need adapters or adapter cables to go from certain outputs to certain inputs
The "stereo only" output topology of the SSL 2+ is limiting, as MMM said. However if the SSL 2+ gives you what you need for inputs it can do what you asked: Feed your monitors and be able to turn there volume down and switch to headphones and have two to four headphone feeds. Yes, use the Aux's first to feed the headphone channels, but there are quite a few other paths that could be used, interesting possibilities. The thing is you are only dealing with one stereo signal and not individual tracks to make custom headphone mixes. I don't see any impedance issues but I am not 100% sure on that, I would have to go back and look at all the specifications.
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
(08-13-2020, 09:11 PM)Theotherguy Wrote: I just sat down with pencil and paper to see what we are looking at for ins and outs in the three units in question.
The SSL 2+ has: 5 pairs of stereo outputs
The Mackie 1402 VLZ has: 7 pairs of stereo outputs and 6 pairs of stereo inputs
The Behringer HeadAmp pro has: 6 individual stereo inputs feeding 6 individual stereo headphone channel outputs.
So, yes, you could feed and control your monitors and up to six headphone mix feeds. If you needed more signal paths you could go Mono via the Mackie.
Yes, you could send Main Outs (XLR) from the Mackie to your monitors but I would probably feed them with the control room output because that is on it's own fader. You wanted to be able to turn down your monitors and switch over to headphones.
Now, as far as what to patch to what... I hope you have an assortment of cables because to have all six separate mix feeds you are going to have to cable down to a TRS plug that would carry your L R and ground signal and not Hot Cold Ground that you would find using a balanced line. One way is to use an insert cable, L=Tip, R=Ring, Ground=Sleeve from TS (unbalanced) output jacks (L and R) to the Stereo Aux Input for the desired headphone channel on the Behringer. That's one way to get around that kind of cable issue. So it depends what you have for cables and how many mixes you need. You may need adapters or adapter cables to go from certain outputs to certain inputs
The "stereo only" output topology of the SSL 2+ is limiting, as MMM said. However if the SSL 2+ gives you what you need for inputs it can do what you asked: Feed your monitors and be able to turn there volume down and switch to headphones and have two to four headphone feeds. Yes, use the Aux's first to feed the headphone channels, but there are quite a few other paths that could be used, interesting possibilities. The thing is you are only dealing with one stereo signal and not individual tracks to make custom headphone mixes. I don't see any impedance issues but I am not 100% sure on that, I would have to go back and look at all the specifications.
THANK YOU! This is exactly what I am looking for!
At the moment I have the following wired now...
1.) SSL 2+ Inputs are running TRS from the 3 - 4 balanced outputs on the Mackie. That way I can select my inputs or mute them as needed.
2.) The 2+ Monitor outs are going via a split (insert cbl) feed TRS-XLR to my ART HeadAmp main input. Where I can mono the headphone feeds. Not sure if this is what you were talking about. Oh yeah its and ART not a Behringer HP distribution amp. But I digress...
3.) The Mackie main outs are actually currently feeding 2 Mono ck speakers and a sub woofer. Oh yeah, the audio to the mixer get's passed to the Mackie via a pass-thru (L+R) balanced Split feed (L=Tip, R=Ring) output on the ART Pro 6 (handy I might say!) going to a channel in the mixer via a TRS into the mix channel.
4.) The SSL main outs are going straight to my active studio monitors.

OK so I think I an issue in that the SSL mon mix A and B outputs are getting left and right channels to left and right channels on the ART Pro6 HPA.
OK so please run this around your head for a bit as I will do with what you outlined above and I think we can get this perfected! If I need more cables, Amazon is only a click away! Big Grin
Thanks again Brutha!
Mini Mac i7, 3 GHz, 16GB RAM, OSX Monterey v12.6.5, 4 SSD drives, dual 27" displays. Mixbus 32C Latest, SSL 2+ interface, Mackie VLZ 1402 mixer and Mackie Mk3 8" monitors. Owner of LOGIC AUDIO PRODUCTIONS, Lake Havasu City, Arizona USA Cool
rdesanti , Sorry, I, have the Behringer, you have the ART. And, I typed that while I was looking at the ART manual. So just the name is wrong.
See what you can do with the cabling. I will lay out more detailed information after I look at where you are at right now. I want to be sure I understand what your goal is. Then I will get specific.
(08-16-2020, 08:30 PM)Theotherguy Wrote: rdesanti , Sorry, I, have the Behringer, you have the ART. And, I typed that while I was looking at the ART manual. So just the name is wrong.
See what you can do with the cabling. I will lay out more detailed information after I look at where you are at right now. I want to be sure I understand what your goal is. Then I will get specific.

THANK YOU! Big Grin
(07-15-2020, 03:54 PM)rdesanti Wrote: We all probably seen the reviews. Whether you like it or NOT I don't care. What I would like to know from folks who own the 2+ that also have an analog mixer exactly how you hooked it up from your computer and analog mixer. I got 1 ordered. Mind you I am NOT a newbie, I have many years experience in this and am just looking for some alternative answers on this. PLEASE read on... OK, So I have a Mackie 1402 VLZ analog mixer, an ART Head Amp (headphone distribution amp) Pro 6, and soon to be the SSL 2+ interface. I currently have an Akai EIE 4x4 interface. I still would like to use the ART headphone distribution amp as I will usually have at a minimum 2-4 headphone mixes working. Usually 2. So I can track and mix accordingly. I need to hear my active monitors, or turn them down and use the headphones from the ART See link here: https://artproaudio.com/product/headamp6...phone-amp/
Here below is the Mackie Mixer manual.
http://www.gatv.ssr.upm.es/~ltav/practic...vlz_om.pdf
Of course ALL this is going into Mixbus 32C. !
Any assistance would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Big Grin

I just connected the rca outs to my patchbay and sent the main speaker outs to my speakers. I have the SSL six master out going in to the 4k inputs. I'm using mine to track and monitor. Nice converters. I have 3 motu interfaces on ADAT that I use to send CV/Gate and audio to various synths as well.    
(08-13-2020, 03:26 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: No time for something very comprehensive...

Clearly you want to use your Mackie for the studio monitors (on main) and the headphone mixes (aux 1+2 into the ART).
So your sources go into input 1-6 and your Computer-interface-output into one of the Mackie stereo-inputs for listening/monitoring/backtrack.
You want to make "borrow" inserts to go into your audio interface from channel 1-6: that way you get six raw signals, using the Mackie pre-s, for recording six tracks, no matter what you do with the mixer.

I've been working with a similar setup (Alesis Studio 32 and 2x M-Audio 1010LT and Behringer Powerplay for years and it worked like a charm.

MMM
Thank you for you idea. I am looking at all options. Back to your question. My answer below...
Reason why is I always used SSL in other studio's for many many years and never was able to afford any! I really love having an SSL product in my home studio. Also couldn't afford the SIX either. Times are tough these days as you probably know. It really sounds great. If I could afford it I would have an SSL AWS 916 delta. Only I would probably have to remortgage my home to have one! LOL
I will let you know what I end up doing but I REALLY like your resolve! Big Grin
Reason why is I always used SSL in other studio's for many many years and never was able to afford any! I really love having an SSL product in my home studio. Also couldn't afford the SIX either. Times are tough these days as you probably know. It really sounds great. If I could afford it I would have an SSL AWS 916 delta. Only I would probably have to remortgage my home to have one! LOL
I will let you know what I end up doing but I REALLY like your resolve! Big Grin
[/quote]

It's not essential to have the six but my point was just connect everything to a patchbay and have your monitoring speakers connect to the ssl 2+. You can always just have any mics into the 2+.