Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Have forums had their day ??
Over the years I must've joined a few dozen forums... some were for MS Windows, some for Linux & Mac, some were for computer programming - or DAW's - or other products.

Hopefully it's not my fault (maybe I've become a jinx!!) but these days, forums seem to get very few visitors. Anyone else noticed this? And what's the reason??
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(07-15-2020, 04:54 AM)johne53 Wrote: Over the years I must've joined a few dozen forums... some were for MS Windows, some for Linux & Mac, some were for computer programming - or DAW's - or other products.

Hopefully it's not my fault (maybe I've become a jinx!!) but these days, forums seem to get very few visitors. Anyone else noticed this? And what's the reason??

Facebook absorbs everything.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Sad but true I guess... Personally I've tried to avoid facebook and twitter. Here in the UK we used to have something called Friends Reunited and I found it hugely addictive - often I'd spend hours on it, every day!! My sister's on facebook and she's literally never off it Sad
(07-15-2020, 05:00 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Facebook absorbs everything.
MMM

Sells your privacy and data
But than interesting forums can be found on Facebook

It shapes the world : Great presidents and wonderfull breaks

Tadaa
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
I'm here because I find that its members, for the most part, are exactly the people
I like to exchange ideas with. I don't have a presence on Facebook, other than to
check out hits and comments related to sites of bands I'm working with. And, even
there, I let the Guitarists and Drummers deal with the public; I'm just the Keyboard/Tech Guy.

Anyway... I've had the opportunity to spend a LOT more time here since the start of
general "lock down". I'm fortunate to be able to work from home and find checking
out posts here, periodically during the day, to be a fair replacement to the social
exchange that I don't get in the work environment anymore. And, because of that,
I've come to learn a LOT more about Mixbus (and Ardour! @John53) than I knew before March, 2020. So,
I'm pretty happy about the practice.

However, I do find that some exchanges have started to become more hostile, in all
forms of electronic communication in the same time period. Isolation seems to be
bringing out the monster in some people. I try to avoid feeding the fire; too many
other things going on try to soak down my attitude.

Finally... Yes, I too seem to detect a roll-off of active posters here, and on other
forums that I am a member of. Not sure why.

Thank y'all for being around!
Cheers!
Patrick
I'm old enough to remember when forums used to be called "bulletin boards"- and using them in those days was quite an unrewarding experience. So many people were starting threads that if you started one yourself, it'd only stay on page 1 for a few minutes. After a couple of hours it'd be languishing around page 8 or so. Maybe that was very off-putting for a lot of people?

As someone who's not a member... how does Facebook cope with this? It's a social networking site so presumably people can start conversations - but is it any better at making sure the conversations get noticed?
(07-16-2020, 02:50 AM)johne53 Wrote: I'm old enough to remember when forums used to be called "bulletin boards"- and using them in those days was quite an unrewarding experience. So many people were starting threads that if you started one yourself, it'd only stay on page 1 for a few minutes. After a couple of hours it'd be languishing around page 8 or so. Maybe that was very off-putting for a lot of people?

As someone who's not a member... how does Facebook cope with this? It's a social networking site so presumably people can start conversations - but is it any better at making sure the conversations get noticed?
I've never used Facebook, so I can't answer the question about Facebook. But I've used Gearslutz for many years, and they cope with the volume by having so many different forums for different audio subects. I've not noticed a problem with posts quickly becoming buried on GS. If someone doesn't receive a reply in a few days and their original post is buried, they can always reply to their own thread with more detail etc. and bring it back up to the top.
(07-16-2020, 08:45 AM)J Erik Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 02:50 AM)johne53 Wrote: I'm old enough to remember when forums used to be called "bulletin boards"- and using them in those days was quite an unrewarding experience. So many people were starting threads that if you started one yourself, it'd only stay on page 1 for a few minutes. After a couple of hours it'd be languishing around page 8 or so. Maybe that was very off-putting for a lot of people?

I've never used Facebook, so I can't answer the question about Facebook. But I've used Gearslutz for many years, and they cope with the volume by having so many different forums for different audio subects. I've not noticed a problem with posts quickly becoming buried on GS. If someone doesn't receive a reply in a few days and their original post is buried, they can always reply to their own thread with more detail etc. and bring it back up to the top.
I, too, remember when the correct term was "bulletin boards", I, too, have never used Facebook. I have been on a hand full of forums and discussion groups and they all seem to run there course and run out of steam. I have been here longer than I have been anywhere else. I have been here for 4 1/2 years. Sometimes things are busy here and sometimes things are quiet. Pending releases, improvements, upgrades and the like there is usually a slow period. Then, surprise, something changes, then there is lots to talk about. I will continue to check in often.
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
In my experience, forums are as actual as anything else, something this forum is a good example of. However, my favorites are the Usenet, which I haven't used for years. I like the quick navigation one has in the threaded postings and feel that forums are a little bit clumsy and heavy. And Facebook? I use it and it's a fantastic networking tool, maybe the best, for muscicians or anyone in the music busines.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
What puts me off Facebook is its inability to let you interact if you aren't a member. With traditional forums, non-members can usually participate at a limited level - they can navigate around the forum, view threads etc and generally get a feel for whether they're gonna like it or not. Even Twitter allows you to view peoples' threads but just not contribute to them. But (unless I'm doing something wrong) Facebook's access seems extremely limited - you can find someone you know and view their profile page but that's about it. AFAICT you can't participate in any other way without being a member and I must admit, that's the bit I find off-putting. I guess I'm one of those people who likes to "try before I buy" Smile