Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TIPS: Making master for CD Album and MP3s
Hi!

I just want to briefly share with you my system when making a master for CD and export MP3s in one project when the CD factory wants a DDP file.

After mixing, I export every melody as a BWAV32 float, making it suitable for importing it to the master project. Every file has this naming convention: NN-MySongTitle.wav (without spaces - old habit), why will be quite clear when you look at the screenshot, here is an explanation of what you see:
  • Every song is imported into the master project, I prefer to drag and drop them one by one into the editor window under the master track.
  • The first track starts > 2 secs after the start location marker, complying with the RedBook protocol.
  • I align the songs so every transition from one song to another sounds right.
  • Then I right-click at every track and select the region name -> Ranges -> Add Single Range Marker. Now you see why I named the exported files as I did and these markers are for exporting the MP3-files later.
  • Now I do the CD markers. Use the actual title of the song. This will help to produce a correct cue fie together with the big wave file
  • Finally, put the end of every range into the next range start. This will make the pause (if any) between the MP3 sound as from the CD (unless the MP3 player settings override it)

Now, it's time to do the actual mastering. With this layout, I have one channel strip for every song and a quick mouse-click at the top of the ruler bar makes it really easy and fast to compare every song and parts with each other.

Finally, we export one big wave file with that will be the DDP file for the CD and one MP3 for every song.
  • The wave file with CD settings and normalizing to peak and ticking that a QUE file also will be produced
  • For the MP3s, I use the "Time Span" where I tick off the session and enables every range. Here I Normalize loudness and for this project, I choose a loudness of -13 LUFS. For this project, I was able to export to MP3 directly and for this project, the song levels were well balanced when I played the MP3s. Finally, I tag every MP3 file.

I use the program suite "DDP Mastering Tools" for making DDP files and this is my preferred method because it gives me total control. However, many clients like to have every single wave file and take it from there, then I just use the Time Span method there as well.

I see that mastering questions comes up from time to time and hope that this little article is helpful for someone. Enjoy!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
Thanks Jostein
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Other than the steps for the MP3 output and using "DDP Mastering Tools", this looks
almost identical to the method I've been using. Seemed like the most logical way to
do it when I first used it. I'm going to look into DDP Mastering Tools.

Thanks!!!!
Patrick
Tak!

Regards

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(07-07-2020, 07:04 PM)PBuryk Wrote: Other than the steps for the MP3 output and using "DDP Mastering Tools", this looks
almost identical to the method I've been using. Seemed like the most logical way to

I don't know which OS you have, but for Linux, there is a program named "shnsplit" which can produce for example MP3's from the exported wave file with help of data from the cue file. I will now start experimenting with it and see if that is better than exporting every region to MP3. It can even name each file accordingly based on the data in the cue file.

It's even a GUI based app with the name Flacon that can do much magic wit a wave and following cue file. So many possibilities, life is good! :-)
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
(07-10-2020, 06:48 AM)Jostein Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 07:04 PM)PBuryk Wrote: Other than the steps for the MP3 output and using "DDP Mastering Tools", this looks

I don't know which OS you have, but for Linux, there is a program named "shnsplit" which can produce for example MP3's from the exported wave file with help of data from the cue file. I will now start experimenting with it and see if that is better than exporting every region to MP3. It can even name each file accordingly based on the data in the cue file.

It's even a GUI based app with the name Flacon that can do much magic wit a wave and following cue file. So many possibilities, life is good! :-)

shnsplit sounds interesting. I did some reading up on the DDP Mastering Tools (3 command set) and will download and try them out this weekend.

I'm currently running AVLinux, 2020-05 on my main DAW and AVLinux 5-year-older
version on a secondary DAW. The secondary DAW is there so I can run "GCDMaster". [http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/gcdmaster/index.html]
GCDMaster is a GUI interface for the "cdrdao" tool that I've used for many projects.
Unfortunately, GCDMaster is no longer supported and requires a GNOME environment (which I don't have installed on my primary DAW)
and some older runtime libraries. I have to copy my multi-song WAV file from
primary DAW to secondary DAW in order to use that tool, so I've been looking for
a suitable replacement to use on my primary DAW.

Cheers!
Patrick