Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Mixbus survive w/o VST3?
Honest question here: Can Mixbus survive as a viable DAW for much longer without VST3 implementation?

VST3 was introduced in 2008 and Steinberg is no longer supporting the original VST protocol. Because of this, many new cutting edge plugins are being released in VST3 format only. No VST.
VST3 is on the road map.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(07-05-2020, 06:23 PM)Dingo Wrote: VST3 is on the road map.

I appreciate the reply, but it seems like it needs to be more than just on the road map. More like it needs to be an expedited action.
(07-05-2020, 07:47 PM)atlasrecrd Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 06:23 PM)Dingo Wrote: VST3 is on the road map.

I appreciate the reply, but it seems like it needs to be more than just on the road map. More like it needs to be an expedited action.

Do you have any experience in software engineering?
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(07-05-2020, 07:52 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Do you have any experience in software engineering?
MMM

No. Why?
Mixbus is based on Open Source software (Ardour) and a large number of developments such as Protools Import, Video and other functionalities are provided by contributors from a wide range of software backgrounds and consists of collaborators around the world.
If you have coding skills and really want to see a function added you can contribute in that manner.
Coding can be modules such as PT Import etc or LUA scripting for increased functionality in the UI.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(07-06-2020, 12:41 AM)atlasrecrd Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 07:52 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Do you have any experience in software engineering?
MMM

No. Why?

Thought so. A development cycle includes roadmaps and milestones. When you seriously develop software, you can't do any "expedited action" - things like plugin support are not trivial, as the plugin becomes part of your overall software while it's loaded. So every software developer has to take the correct road, mile by mile, until he arrives at the point in in the roadmap which says "VST3". But he will arrive, as it's one of the milestones. There's no "beaming".
If it could be done on a Sunday afternoon it would have been done last weekend (or so Big Grin).

MMM
Linux throughout!

(07-06-2020, 03:09 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Thought so.

I'm not the one trying to sell this DAW to people on a daily basis.

I also don't need a degree in software engineering to know that VST3 should have been "on the road map" many years ago.

Have a great day.
(07-06-2020, 07:37 AM)atlasrecrd Wrote: I also don't need a degree in software engineering to know that VST3 should have been "on the road map" many years ago.

Or there were some more important things to be fixed first. Foundation to build on. Not blotching something on.
Look at these "foldback buses" - they came from third party and were glued on with hotsnot in a hurry (bcs someone stomped his foot) and that's exactly what they look and function like.
MMM
Linux throughout!

I was a developer, now more project management. The OP doesn't need to be a dev before they get a decent answer, and Devs need to have some idea of when they expect to hit milestones. "On the roadmap" is good, but does that mean by the end of 2020 or sometime 2021, or does the OP get hostility because we actually don't know yet? Totally agree with getting the base solid before implementing something quick and dirty. Just don't forget that users don't have the transparency that the Devs do.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk