Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixbus audio connections for Calf Vocoder?
How do I configure the Calf Vocoder in Mixbus?

I have an audio track of a vocal recording, a midi track of notes, and a bus with the Calf Vocoder. When I open the Mixbus Audio Connections window I have two inputs into the Vocoder bus. These inputs seem to connect to the left and right of the Vocoder "Carrier" input. I cannot see how to connect to the Vocoder "Modulator" input.

According to this video (which is the only help about configuring the Calf Vocoder I can find) I should see four Vocoder bus inputs in the audio connections window. However, I don't. I only see two.

I am a casual Mixbus user who normally edits simple podcasts so I guess this is a fairly basic lack of knowledge on my part. Any help to point me in the right direction much appreciated. Thanks. Phil
Apart from the fact that I banned Calf plugins for their bad DSP, buggieness and crashieness from my system...

Tracks and aux buses in mixbus can only be 1 or 2 channels. So best way for connecting the vocals to the vocoder would be via side chain (see pin connections dialog of the vocoder plugin). In that regard I also would put the vocoder after the synth on the MIDI track itself, rather than using an additional bus.
Disclaimer: Any resemblance of my nick with a given engineer is purely coincidental!
Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6, 4 GB RAM, Radeon graphics, RME HDSP 9652
Laptop: Thinkpad E560, i3 6100U, 8 GB RAM, Intel graphics, Tascam US-2x2
X32 Rack - Debian GNU/Linux - 32c
(06-25-2020, 10:21 AM)phil Wrote: I have an audio track of a vocal recording, a midi track of notes, and a bus with the Calf Vocoder.

Hi Phil,
I have done some screenshots for you.

1) create your buses/channels (as you did) and disconnect the master-out of the carrier and the modulator channel

2) connect the output of the carrier channel with your vocoder bus input

3) in the vocoder GUI click on pin connections, click on sidechain to activate, choose your modulator channel, this creates a send in your modulator channel

4) connect the sidechain pin on the right with the pins on the vocoder rectangle

5) happy tweaking

I did a quick test a few years ago Big Grin
https://soundcloud.com/madmaxmiller-1/vocoder

MMM

P.S.: I find the CALF plugins ok for what I use them for
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Thanks very much for the replies. It's working!

madmaxmiller, very kind to go to the trouble of those screen shots, it made it very clear indeed. I think that last step would have confused me without the screen shot - I never did anything with the pins before.

C.L.A. Ha ha. Fair enough mate. My old pc crashes when the wind changes so the Calf plugins do not give me a headache. I am just a hobbyist with failing hearing as I age so I am probably about the least demanding engineer using Mixbus. I can't help but snigger as I describe myself as an engineer!

Thanks to both of you.
And for completeness a screenshot of my simplified example with just a voice audio track and TAL Vocoder-II (which already includes a synth, but can also be used with an external one) directly on the MIDI track. Sidechain source can be directly selected from the pin connections dialog, and send is created automatically (should that fail and make Mixbus hang, it will already be fixed in the next Mixbus release Wink ).

(XT-EG is just added for cleaning up the voice a bit - could also be cut by hand, if desired, for example)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Disclaimer: Any resemblance of my nick with a given engineer is purely coincidental!
Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6, 4 GB RAM, Radeon graphics, RME HDSP 9652
Laptop: Thinkpad E560, i3 6100U, 8 GB RAM, Intel graphics, Tascam US-2x2
X32 Rack - Debian GNU/Linux - 32c
(06-26-2020, 02:26 PM)the C.L.A. Wrote: And for completeness a screenshot of my simplified example with just a voice audio track and TAL Vocoder-II

Thanks for bringing TAL to mind... I'm indeed inspired to vocode a bit, thanks to Mr Firechild Smile
https://youtu.be/5E2oumeL_-4

And yes, of course I can put the vocoder (any audio plugin) behind the actual synth in the MIDI track, as after the synth it's all audio anyway. Thanks for pointing me at this.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths