Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
V6 Crashing (Izotope plugs)
I've always tried to use MB for mixing, especially rock, the last couple of years as the workflow is so good, and the sound fantastic. v5 had some functional constraints that I was really pleased to see addressed in v6.

Sadly, I'm coming to the conclusion that I just can't use v6 due to persistent instability. Insta-crashes being the worst culprit. I know you can use MB without 3rd party plug-ins, but I use Izotope, Waves, Arturia all of which are not exactly niche manufacturers. Waves and Izotope seem to always cause issues in the GUI, and these in turn are so dodgy that it's leading to CTD without any warnings.

It's a real pity, and I will follow up with support because I so want this to work. For now I'm struggling just to get one song finished that's saved in v6 format.
Wood

i9-9900k CPU, 32Gb RAM, Nvidia 2070 Super GPU, RME Babyface Pro Interface, W10 Pro
Possibly a graphics problem. Have you tweaked Nvidia Settings? Try moving the OpenGL quality slider fully to the right ie. High Performance, and disable SyncToVBlank.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

(06-05-2020, 10:38 AM)Wood Wrote: I've always tried to use MB for mixing, especially rock, the last couple of years as the workflow is so good, and the sound fantastic. v5 had some functional constraints that I was really pleased to see addressed in v6.

Sadly, I'm coming to the conclusion that I just can't use v6 due to persistent instability. Insta-crashes being the worst culprit. I know you can use MB without 3rd party plug-ins, but I use Izotope, Waves, Arturia all of which are not exactly niche manufacturers. Waves and Izotope seem to always cause issues in the GUI, and these in turn are so dodgy that it's leading to CTD without any warnings.

It's a real pity, and I will follow up with support because I so want this to work. For now I'm struggling just to get one song finished that's saved in v6 format.

Mixbus 6 is based on Ardour 6 which was almost completely rewritten during last 2 years. So the new Ardour 6 has not been ironed out yet, its a curse for all new software. We all need to be patient and just wait for bugfixes, or just use Mixbus 5.
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Mixbus 32C 7.1.92
I was having a lot of these issues lately, with Izotope plugins especially (but more generally with regular sudden crashes). This is on a pretty new and powerful Win10 desktop (although I use onboard graphics, no dedicated card). The performance has improved vastly since changing my prefs to allow MB to use all processors rather than all but one. The Izotope plugins work fine now, and I get virtually no crashes.
(06-06-2020, 06:42 PM)sunrat Wrote: Possibly a graphics problem. Have you tweaked Nvidia Settings? Try moving the OpenGL quality slider fully to the right ie. High Performance, and disable SyncToVBlank.

Thanks for the suggestion. When I open the NVidia Control panel (latest drivers/download from June/July 2020) I don't see either of those settings. OpenGL rendering is set to force the GPU (RTX 2070S) but I don't have a quality slider, or SyncToVBlank option. Is this the same a VSync? If so, that is set to OFF.

Cheers.

(06-12-2020, 08:50 AM)Stew71 Wrote: I was having a lot of these issues lately, with Izotope plugins especially (but more generally with regular sudden crashes). This is on a pretty new and powerful Win10 desktop (although I use onboard graphics, no dedicated card). The performance has improved vastly since changing my prefs to allow MB to use all processors rather than all but one. The Izotope plugins work fine now, and I get virtually no crashes.

Will try with that all cpu's setting and see if it improves - thanks!
Wood

i9-9900k CPU, 32Gb RAM, Nvidia 2070 Super GPU, RME Babyface Pro Interface, W10 Pro
Mixbus 6 is based on Ardour 6 which was almost completely rewritten during last 2 years. So the new Ardour 6 has not been ironed out yet, its a curse for all new software. We all need to be patient and just wait for bugfixes, or just use Mixbus 5.
[/quote]

What you are describing is Alpha software. A commercial product should never display that behaviour
(07-30-2020, 07:09 PM)songshop Wrote: What you are describing is Alpha software. A commercial product should never display that behaviour

You mean commercial products like Pro Tools? They've had 31 years to work out how not to crash. Still trying. Big Grin
I guess PT is alpha software by your standards. Seriously, nearly all complex software has bugs.

https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch?que...sion=1.3.0
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

Ehh...in Harrison's defense, Cubase blacklists the Izotope plugs. Every single version. I've not done any troubleshooting because I bought RX to do offline corrections/forensics, I have no interest in their real time variations.

...but, Cubase is THE standard for the VST format. THE...standard. I've never had it have an issue with...ANYTHING....before Izotope. So, I wouldn't rest all the blame on Harrison here--if Izotope can't get CUBASE to use them and not blacklist them...they're doing something really out in left field.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com
i perchaded ungrade to ver 6.1 mixbus for my laptop and now the harrison plugin dont work but izotpe plugins do - downlouded containtad new audio drivers but still dosen;t work any ideas would be gratefull JF