Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panning makes no difference
Good Day everyone, Mike here and I am a bass player that has taken the plunge into home recording. Goal is to be able to bypass our usual studio, record tracks ourselves and send out for mix and master.

Getting proficient with Mixbus, but still a few glitches to sort out. I was using v5 up until about 2 weeks ago. My drummer sent a MIDI file of a drum track and I started building from that. Setup is standard, drums, bass, 2 rhythm guitars, a lead guitar and 2 vocal tracks. All live guitars and vocals done with AKG condensor (middle of the road quality) in a shockmount. In v5, I hard panned the 2 rhythm tracks, 1 left, 1 right. Both recorded using the same setup (and amp for that matter). Sounded as it should. One guitar in left speaker and one in right. No sending to AUX or Buses..it just worked. You twist the knob and it goes left or right. When I open same project (or new ones as well) in v6, the pan knob does nothing. It gets a little muddy on one side or the other, but the track still comes out of both speakers.

You will have to forgive me, I am a bass player after all LOL, so my theory is pretty good, but I know enough to be dangerous, not helpful. haha..

Am I missing something silly? Signal chain is.. Guitar->PreSonus Firestudio 10x10 ->PC (fire wire connection) -> Mixbus
Monitoring...The PreSonus has the main left out connected to the left powered monitor and main right out connected to the right powered monitor (patch cables)

I have tried using a group to an aux and adding the connection to the missing stereo side with no luck. All cables are just guitar patch cables so they are all mono. But I am feeding left and right so should work. The issue I guess is somewhere between the interface and the PC (DAW).

I am a newb with signal processing and I am having a lot of "a ha" moments and must have learned a lot about sound in the last 2 weeks. But it also can be frustrating because you know what you want, just can't figure out how to get there. Plus the fact it was working and now does not..Angry I know it is something I am overlooking or flat out just don't know how to do. Tutorials are good if anyone knows of one to watch.

Thanks for any advice! Rock on. Mike
Did you accidentally record to stereo tracks instead of mono?
(05-22-2020, 10:41 AM)Hepburn_73 Wrote: Am I missing something silly? Signal chain is.. Guitar->PreSonus Firestudio 10x10 ->PC (fire wire connection) -> Mixbus
Monitoring...The PreSonus has the main left out connected to the left powered monitor and main right out connected to the right powered monitor (patch cables)
Hi Hepburn_73 and welcome to the Mixbus Forum...have a look at this advice from Presonus about setting up the control panel.

Also if you are using the optional Monitor strip, make sure you have not set that to Mono sum.

Lets us know how you are going and when you get the Mix happening, please post a link for us in the Made With Mixbus thread.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(05-22-2020, 10:41 AM)Hepburn_73 Wrote: Thanks for any advice! Rock on. Mike

What Dingo said.
Plus, you know now what you paid the studio (you are now bypassing) for.
Smile
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Hi and thank you for the responses. I am about to give things a try this afternoon, I finally have a weekend to myself to dive into this. If I cannot get this to work without re-wiring my PC or interface...haha... Going to go another direction. Run all my inputs into a board (Mackie) and send the left to channel 1 and the right to channel 2 of my interface. So left will be a separate track and then right will be a separate track. I can then deal with it within Mixbus. Have to poke around tutorials as well..I honestly haven't looked yet, but there may be something out thwere on even the setup for a stereo recording. Question...if I set up a guitar track, right click, new track etc..when the window pops up, do I create a stereo track to get the Pan to work? Really, I shouldn't have to as I just want the sound to come out of either the left or right side. I have always had mad respect for music techs..there is a lot to know and it is always changing...must be frustrating at times. IT is similar, which is a big part of my life... I love the function and sound of mixbus, so I have to make this work. I swapped all my connections from interface to speakers they are now TRS out of the interface to xlr into my monitors. Should I be using TRS or just TS to connect into interface from things like a DI or direct from a guitar amp etc. SO many variables..lol Thanks again for any responses.
Stop and ask yourself one question.... are the recordings(tracks) that you are starting with MONO or STEREO? Stereo meaning the left channel and the right channel may and probably have different data. Mono meaning the left and right channels have the same data. In order to determine how to do what you want to do with the recording, you have to know what you are starting with. Please understand that my opinion comes from a very analogue point of view.
Also, What MMM said!
Best of luck.
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
Hello, Hepburn_73 -

There is no reason I can think of why your recorded tracks in V5 should sound different
in V6. I sense that something has not been communicated in your initial posting.

Let's clarify a couple of the "details" you've provided:

- It appears that you have taken on the role of recording/mix engineer?
That is, is the recording of all guitar, vocals, etc. being done at your studio?
Or, are your other band members recording their tracks at their place and sending
them to you to mix? Please clarify.

- Other than a remotely recorded drum mix, all of your other instrumental and vocal
tracks should be recorded in Mono. This will give you the best flexibility in their mix
time processing. How were your V5 tracks recorded? Are you using the exact same
procedure using V6? If you are not recording the drums at your place, then a
provided stereo drum mix will be the best way for you to begin your recording/mix
engineer journey as drum recording and mixing adds a layer of complexity that you
might not want to take on at this time.

- If you are just talking about gathering all your thoughts as recorded tracks and
then submitting those tracks to a mix engineer, then you don't need to worry too
much about crafting a quality mix for yourself, yet. Focus on getting the best
recorded tracks, again in mono. This is something that practically anyone from
this forum can talk you through. Once you're happy with the results then we can
all guide you through the next phase of your mixing adventures.

Cheers!
Patrick