Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bypass Plugins
Hello; new user here. I'm setting up to use MixBus 6 to create the audio feed for a live stream broadcast at church. Is there a quick and easy way to "mute" plug-ins? Specifically I need to be able to turn off delay and verb on specific tracks to allow the worship leader, or others, to talk without any effects, and then turn the effects back on for singing. Thanks for the help.
(05-17-2020, 10:10 PM)Brian Mills Wrote: Hello; new user here. I'm setting up to use MixBus 6 to create the audio feed for a live stream broadcast at church. Is there a quick and easy way to "mute" plug-ins? Specifically I need to be able to turn off delay and verb on specific tracks to allow the worship leader, or others, to talk without any effects, and then turn the effects back on for singing. Thanks for the help.
I would solve it by creating a verb bus and a delay bus, I would send the channels you need to clean to these and at the time of having to use them without verb or delay I would simply apply mute in the sends. To simplify this task to a single click, I would assign these buses specifically created to a VCA channel and mute them from there.
(05-17-2020, 10:55 PM)waltermente Wrote:
(05-17-2020, 10:10 PM)Brian Mills Wrote: Hello; new user here. I'm setting up to use MixBus 6 to create the audio feed for a live stream broadcast at church. Is there a quick and easy way to "mute" plug-ins? Specifically I need to be able to turn off delay and verb on specific tracks to allow the worship leader, or others, to talk without any effects, and then turn the effects back on for singing. Thanks for the help.
I would solve it by creating a verb bus and a delay bus, I would send the channels you need to clean to these and at the time of having to use them without verb or delay I would simply apply mute in the sends. To simplify this task to a single click, I would assign these buses specifically created to a VCA channel and mute them from there.

WalterMente,

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try. Just out of curiosity, is it generally preferred ( e.g. better) to create the buses you describe and not have verb and delay on the individual tracks? If so, how does one tailor an effect for a specific voice/instrument?
(05-17-2020, 11:17 PM)Brian Mills Wrote:

WalterMente,

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try. Just out of curiosity, is it generally preferred ( e.g. better) to create the buses you describe and not have verb and delay on the individual tracks? If so, how does one tailor an effect for a specific voice/instrument?

It will depend on the needs of each project and each track in particular if the effect should be used as an insert in the channel or as a send. In your case I think using it as send is enough. Just insert the verb or delay to one of the existing MixBus buses (if you still have any free, but create a mono or stereo AUX Channel) and then activate the send from the channel that needs it. I don't understand what you mean by "Customize effect for voice or instrument".
(05-17-2020, 11:27 PM)waltermente Wrote: Just out of curiosity, is it generally preferred ( e.g. better) to create the buses you describe and not have verb and delay on the individual tracks? If so, how does one tailor an effect for a specific voice/instrument?

Here's how I'm working:
My theory is that all instruments are per se in the "same room", therefore need the same reverb (if they need reverb). A reverb bus lets me save resources by using only one instance of a reverb. How much reverb every single instrument/voice gets can be easily set with the sends, the overall amount with the bus fader. For depth staging (pre-delay) I actually don't go directly into the reverb bus: I prepare 3 aux buses with different delays, that's where the delay sends go into (front-middle-back), and from the delay-buses I go into the reverb bus (which has 0 pre-delay).
All instrument-specific FX (like the character plugins) go of course into the instrument track.

Others may differ, mixing is a creative process after all.

MMM

P.S. using sends to aux-delay-buses instead of mixbus sends has the advantage that you can set them pre-FX
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(05-17-2020, 11:27 PM)waltermente Wrote:
(05-17-2020, 11:17 PM)Brian Mills Wrote:
What I meant from that comment is that in the event that one vocalist or instrument sounds better with a certain verb, if the verb was on a bus, it would be the same verb for all tracks that are using that bus. If the verb is on the track, then it can be a different set up for each voice/instrument, if desired.

WalterMente,

It will depend on the needs of each project and each track in particular if the effect should be used as an insert in the channel or as a send. In your case I think using it as send is enough. Just insert the verb or delay to one of the existing MixBus buses (if you still have any free, but create a mono or stereo AUX Channel) and then activate the send from the channel that needs it. I don't understand what you mean by "Customize effect for voice or instrument".
The aux solution is THE correct solution. It's how reverb delay has been done since the beginning of time. Given your use case, consider it one of the audio engineering commandments. Smile

That said--you just click the bypass button on the plug in--the little "light" dot to the left of the plug in in it's slot. It will bypass it.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com