Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Foldback channel for additional monitor speakers
OK, so in the absence of multiple monitor output channels (feature request please!) to feed my Genelecs, PMCs and Headphones, each with its own correction EQ, I thought I'd be smart and create a Monitor section for the main PMCs, and use foldback strips for the Genelecs and phones.

If I just use the monitor section, all is fine, and I can add a processor for the EQ.

If I add a Foldback channel, routed to a different physical output pair on the interface, and then send from the MASTER output, I can get the audio passing from the Master (pre-fader) and routed independently to the Genelecs BUT the feedback light comes on. Why? There is no physical or virtual routing crossover as far as I can see.

I then add a second Foldback strip for Phones, routed again to a different pair of physical outputs. And here's the weird thing. Sometimes, the outputs will not connect. I seem able to route FB one to these very outputs, but two won't do it. And then, suddenly, using the routing grid, it does. But then, sometimes, not always, the audio for everything stops. Especially if I close the song and reopen, even quit MB and reopen.

Something very odd happening here!

OK I know the FB strips are designed for routing individual channels, but I can see no reason - given that MB's routing grid is streets ahead of most other DAWS, and allowed me to make these connections in the first place - why this shouldn't be an elegant solution to multiple monitor outputs?

Sending from the main output to a monitor shouldn't present a problem should it? Often, the mix, with all it's reverbs etc, is pretty well what the artist (often me) will be happy to work with on phones for overdubbing anyway.

Anyway I'd welcome some thoughts on this, and especially why the audio should stop working altogether when the project is re-loaded. Removing the Monitor sends and monitor channels restores the audio by the way. And sometimes I can get the whole chain working again...but sometimes not!
(05-03-2020, 12:52 PM)Scardanelli Wrote: Anyway I'd welcome some thoughts on this, and especially why the audio should stop working altogether when the project is re-loaded. Removing the Monitor sends and monitor channels restores the audio by the way. And sometimes I can get the whole chain working again...but sometimes not!

Good one! I'll check it tonight on my rig.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths