Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yamaha n12 firewire mixer + Mixbuss
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone is using a Yamaha n12 firewire mixer with Mixbus 32C v5.

I'm having audio dropouts that don't occur with Reaper, also Mixbus works fine with my old Mackie Onyx firewire.

I'm using Win7, but might look into getting an iMac circa 2011 if it sorts the problem.

Big ask i know, but you never know if you don't ask Smile

Cheers, Steve.
increase your audio buffer in Mixbus?

I would then look at drivers.
OSX, i9 10850k, 64GB, MixBus 32C, Logic Pro X, Metric Halo ULN8 3d & 2882 3d, Icon Qcon Pro X & Icon Qcon Pro XS
Thanks Whiskey.

I've already tried both. Increased the buffer to max (2048 samples), and the drivers are the latest. No joy.

The issue mainly occurs when adjusting a fader. Weird.
I use an older Tascam firewire mixer sometimes. If I run heavy VSTi's I have to engage the Buffered i/o button in the Audio Hardware setup.
Window>Audio/Midi Setup...stop the engine and engage the Buffered I/O, then start engine. Maybe will help you.
Win 7-64/Dell Precision Dual Quad 3ghz/20gb-MX v5.3/32C v8.2.170-RME UFX/RME ff800
Thanks Trick,

I already did try Buffered I/O also and it did appear to work - I was happy - but after a while I got the dropouts again.

I'm might try that method again because I have made some other small system changes.

Like I said, no probs with the Mackie Onyx and no probs in Reaper.
is the DPS surging when the drop outs occur?
I was using a Powermate USB knob that was causing this to happen often.
not sure if its possible of the midi send (assuming the midi is via firewire) from the yamaha somehow causing it.

and I would get this sorted before spending $ on a imac. note the 2010-2011 imac's ati6970 gpu cards have a short life - you want one with a ati6770 if its a ati gpu.
OSX, i9 10850k, 64GB, MixBus 32C, Logic Pro X, Metric Halo ULN8 3d & 2882 3d, Icon Qcon Pro X & Icon Qcon Pro XS
Yes, the DSP was surging (most of the time) when the dropouts occurred - sometimes it seemed random though.

The frustration finally got to me and I ended up buying a 2nd hand 27" iMac mid 2011 (High Sierra). The gpu is an: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB.

Had a bit of fun finding the correct FireWire driver, but eventually all installed correctly and I'm happy to report no more glitching!! Smile.

Although I did upgrade to Mixbus v6 for the mac, so maybe that was the issue. In any case the mac (i5 processor) is much faster than my old win7 machine. With the same 40track song loaded, the DSP averages around 20%.

At least with the iMac and a fresh installed system, I can dedicate it to purely to audio. So, in my book it was worth the investment. Smile

btw. Mixbuss v6 is looking very nice on the 27" display, it all fits in and the text looks nice and sharp!! I now feel comfortable that I have a reliable system and can just get on with it. (touch wood).

Cheers.
(05-05-2020, 11:12 AM)stixstudios Wrote: Yes, the DSP was surging (most of the time) when the dropouts occurred - sometimes it seemed random though.

The frustration finally got to me and I ended up buying a 2nd hand 27" iMac mid 2011 (High Sierra). The gpu is an: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB.

Had a bit of fun finding the correct FireWire driver, but eventually all installed correctly and I'm happy to report no more glitching!! Smile.

Although I did upgrade to Mixbus v6 for the mac, so maybe that was the issue. In any case the mac (i5 processor) is much faster than my old win7 machine. With the same 40track song loaded, the DSP averages around 20%.

At least with the iMac and a fresh installed system, I can dedicate it to purely to audio. So, in my book it was worth the investment. Smile

btw. Mixbuss v6 is looking very nice on the 27" display, it all fits in and the text looks nice and sharp!! I now feel comfortable that I have a reliable system and can just get on with it. (touch wood).

Cheers.
I think thats a good move. The imac's from that generation are alot of machine for not much $$ nowadays. And you could upgrade to a i7, 32GB ram and 3 internal (2.5") drives (if you know what your doin).

I have a 1440 27" monitor - yeah its the way it should be.

I suspect the Firewire card in your PC uses a non texas instruments chip.
[/quote]
I suspect the Firewire card in your PC uses a non texas instruments chip.
[/quote]

Good call on the Firewire card Whiskey.
Stix congrats on the move to the Mac!!
Win 7-64/Dell Precision Dual Quad 3ghz/20gb-MX v5.3/32C v8.2.170-RME UFX/RME ff800
Thanks guys.

I did actually purchase a texas instruments card for the purpose, but it made no difference. I suspect it may have been my nvidia graphics pcie card, I've read that there can be issues with the nvidia. Although no such probs with the Mackie. The glitches mainly happened when moving the faders, so I guess the cpu was fighting for processing time between the graphics and audio/firewire card - dunno.

In any case, I don't really care anymore. I have used macs at by day job (graphic arts) but never used one for home. I reckon there was a "golden" period (2008 - 2012) when macs just "worked"!!!!. Interesting about the possible upgrades. Might look into an internal ssd to use as my work drive.

Also, considering that the n12 technology is from the same period, it makes sense that they work together seamlessly. I don't care that I'm living the past - I'm lovin' every minute of it"!! Smile

Cheers.

[EDIT]
btw. Just in case anyone is looking for the firewire driver for the n12 that is compatible with 2011 (era) iMac HS, here's the link:
https://typo3test.steinberg.net/en/suppo...river.html