Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inconsistencies in editing Keyboard shortcuts
Still wondering why setting keyboard shortcuts is hit and miss.

I've added (MAC) Alt ] to Expand Tracks height. It works.

Try adding Alt [ to shrink track height - the highlighted "shrink Tracks" disappears and the binding is not set. There is no warning to say that this is already in use. If I try CMD [ absolutely nothing happens, the menu stays as is and no binding is taken. Seems there are some commands that just won't be bound.

This has happened with a few attempts at setting my own preferences for various functions. Also sometimes the Keyboard Shortcuts dialogue box will not close or take any text entry, sometimes have to re-start Mixbus. No error report so cannot submit.

There is definitely something a little odd about the behaviour of this - anyone else reporting strange happenings or being unable to set key bindings?

UPDATE - ok so there is def something odd going on here. I decided to try another set of keys to this and, as - & = are timeline zooms, tried adding CMD - & CMD = for vertical zoom - and it worked. There are therefore some keys not being recognised for shortcuts. Some combinations (and not especially odd combos - if ALT ] works one would expect ALT [ to work are simply not recognised by Mixbus.
I have noticed that some Alt-commands don't work on Mac, as well.

I always assumed that this was some OS-level shortcut that "eats" the message before delivering it to Mixbus. For example, Mac defaults to Cmd+Shift+3 to take a screenshot, and that combination will never be delivered to Mixbus.

This is not just a mac problem: it happens on all systems. There's also an issue called "key ghosting" where some keyboard hardware cannot deliver certain key combinations, and then there are also issues with non-US keyboards where (for example) the period and comma are reversed or even send the same keycode.

We are continuing to work on the keyboard shortcut system but it's quite complicated.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
-Ben
(04-29-2020, 12:13 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: ...and then there are also issues with non-US keyboards where (for example) the period and comma are reversed or even send the same keycode.

We are continuing to work on the keyboard shortcut system but it's quite complicated.

I forgot this issue totally and did earlier switch keyboard layout to US (normally using Swedish/Nordic layout) in the OS as a workaround when editing.

I did this before in order to get access to the backtick for the metronome, but nowadays, I always toggle this from my control surface.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
Thanks Ben, glad it's not just my system (using US keyboard)

Here's another anomaly - I tried changing the shortcut for "toggle solo" to the letter s - so I removed the shortcut which was CTRL-s - but it would not let me use the letter s, and no conflict was highlighted. BUT I am now no longer able to return the CTRL-s command as the shortcut - it simply doesn't take it when I input. I don't want to do a re-set to defaults as I've already changed a couple of commands.

btw is there a shortcut for the master de-solo button at the top of the page? That would be very useful.

Simon
CNTL-s is a shortcut to "save session" so I would not want to reassign that combo.
Also, it is a pretty widely used save combo for Microsoft (and other vendor) software.

My 2-cents
Cheers!
Patrick
Not on a Mac it ain't! CMD-S for save, CTRL-S is unassigned as far as I can see.

S
(04-30-2020, 11:29 AM)PBuryk Wrote: CNTL-s is a shortcut to "save session" so I would not want to reassign that combo.
Also, it is a pretty widely used save combo for Microsoft (and other vendor) software.

My 2-cents
Cheers!
Patrick
CTRL-S is your best friend and lifesaver in almost all programs folks, don't mess with it, it should be in anyone's muscle memory to hit that combo after any change! :-)
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox