Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backing up to a NAS box at last!!
HI All
Just wondered if any of you use a NAS box. When backing up I get an invalid byte error and have to click continue , If I miss this it just sits there. Bit annoying when you think the thing is backing up.

Any Ideas what could cause this?
Cheers Bob
Linux for years!
Ubuntu studio 24.04 LTS  Mixbus 32C  V9
Dell Precision  T3600  8 core 64gb ram.
(04-25-2020, 11:54 AM)wavesound Wrote: HI All
Just wondered if any of you use a NAS box. When backing up I get an invalid byte error and have to click continue , If I miss this it just sits there. Bit annoying when you think the thing is backing up.

Cheers Bob

Can't tell much if I don't know which system you are backing up from, which kind of share you use, when exactly that error comes up and if it's always the same file...
Happy to help with the right information Smile
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(04-26-2020, 01:02 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(04-25-2020, 11:54 AM)wavesound Wrote: HI All

Cheers Bob

Can't tell much if I don't know which system you are backing up from, which kind of share you use, when exactly that error comes up and if it's always the same file...
Happy to help with the right information Smile
MMM

Hi Sorry about that, I was wrong it's 'invalid character' and I skip it.
I'm on studio 19 backing up to a Synology 411+ nas box.
Happens each time I back up the multitrack from MB6. Also my speed goes from 9mbs to now at 185 KB sec. will take about a month on a big session.

Just wondering if it's a major problem should I have to use the backup file at some time.
Cheers Bob
Linux for years!
Which language / character set are you using? Are you using Windows (SMB/CIFS) shares or NFS? Did you try to copy a session locally and what happens?
Sry for being short I'm on the train. MMM

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(04-26-2020, 10:17 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Which language / character set are you using? Are you using Windows (SMB/CIFS) shares or NFS? Did you try to copy a session locally and what happens?

Many thanks I got it wrong again it's ' invalid argument ' Its Im Using NFS /SMB to the NAS which is linked in Thunar.
It happens each time I back up the multitrack. Just wondering if it's a major problem if I ever need the backup file. Angry
Thanks for your help.
Cheers Bob

(04-27-2020, 01:52 PM)wavesound Wrote:
(04-26-2020, 10:17 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Which language / character set are you using? Are you using Windows (SMB/CIFS) shares or NFS? Did you try to copy a session locally and what happens?

Many thanks I got it wrong again it's ' invalid argument ' Its Im Using NFS /SMB to the NAS which is linked in Thunar.
It happens each time I back up the multitrack. Just wondering if it's a major problem if I ever need the backup file. Angry
Thanks for your help.
Cheers Bob

Update ,
The file size on my pc is 609 MB but on the server its only 337!!
Something is not being overwritten.. I'll remove the backup amd check size.
Cheers

Thanks for your help.
Cheers Bob

Thanks for your help.
Cheers Bob

Update ,
The file size on my pc is 609 MB but on the server its only 337!!
Something is not being overwritten.. I'll remove the backup amd check size.
Cheers

Update 2
Seems Synology and Ubuntu count Mega bytes differently. ON my pc it's twice the size!!
I have to assume this is normal. Angel
Cheers Bob
Linux for years!