Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A way to change default automation mode?
I never use Manual when automating.
I only use Touch.
Is there a way to change the default mode?
Everytime I automate I have to manually change from Manual to Touch.

And to be honest, I don't really understand why I'd ever want to use Manual, as it ignores the automation I make. Strange choice of default, I think. But then again, I might be missing something clever there.
Most people use little to no automation, so Manual (automation Off) is the obvious choice.
Manual allows you to set your mix , then go into Write for one pass, after that any fader (with automation pass) will automatically default to Touch.
If you cannot turn automation off it is very difficult to draft ideas across a wide group of faders.
I love automation and am forever pushing for more intuitive ways to do it, but very early on realised that you had to get the mix pretty advanced before employing automation or you can get stuck in the process and end up with a blobby mix.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Ah, there you have it.
Most parameters are of course not automated. And adding an automation track simply shows what's going on with that parameter.
Yet I think it would make sense that the mode was automatically switched from Manual to Touch whenever an automation track is made.
But maybe some day.

(04-25-2020, 12:52 AM)Dingo Wrote: (. . .) but very early on realised that you had to get the mix pretty advanced before employing automation or you can get stuck in the process and end up with a blobby mix.

As someone who works a lot with sound design and use softsynths daily, I find this comment rather weird and funny. Luckily people do different things in different ways, and luckily Mixbus can be suitable for us all.
(well, maybe not for all all, but at least for both you and me. and several others who perform other tasks in other ways).
If a mode automatically changes or anything is automatically done by the software neglecting my wish the software is not for me.
Dingo is right saying that few or no people use automation. What do the most do then instead? They, I think, do what I do, put certain ranges to other tracks and do what they wish.
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(04-26-2020, 12:25 AM)krans Wrote: As someone who works a lot with sound design and use softsynths daily, I find this comment rather weird and funny. Luckily people do different things in different ways, and luckily Mixbus can be suitable for us all.

krans... equally I find your viewpoint funnily weird, I could not imagine starting a mix with faders in Touch, it would take me ages to hack through.... luckily Mixbus is a tool that can be used in many ways.

Seriously though I am really interested in understanding your workflow... I am not a creator, I am a re-recording mixer, so I deal with edited multitrack elements and am concentrating on the flow of the mix, but I am very interested in how to make MB automation slicker and faster.

I have been hassling Ben from v2 about advancing automation and luckily we are dealing with the company who wrote the book on automation but the reality is that not many users rely on automation like I ( and it seems you ) do so it is a little further down the list than some other elements.

However it would be great to explore this more ... all suggestions open to being heard...
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
It would be nice to have the option of setting a new default automation...

I use a lot of automation once a balance is found in the mix. Even with softsynths and instruments, creating movement and musical feel, for want of a better term, relies on having a dynamic environment -as opposed to static. The end result should be a balanced result that does not feel as though automation is everywhere all the time. At least one can hope...

I like the automation in real time with the generic UI plugin sliders, as it easy to get more complex shapes and carve out space for what needs to be heard and what does not. However editing the point of automation in the lanes is very tedious in Mixbus when comparing to other DAWs.

In my mind, if Harrison can take the automation beyond what Logic for example is doing, then it would be difficult to use other programs. Given the workflow and sound that MixBus provides.