Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Busses in v6 MB and 32C
There have been a lot of changes to the way Audio Busses are handled in v6.
Audio Busses are now fully delay compensated, can pan mono channels or balance or image flip stereo channels.
An Audio Bus send from a channel can be created to link with the main panner, or not.

Firstly use the Blue Cross or Menu Track / Add Track or Bus to create a new Audio Bus, make sure you select Stereo if you want to be able to pan.

Go to Preferences / Mixer / Send Routing check link or no link to Main panner.

On the Channel you want to send from, right click New Aux Send (choose which Bus if you have multiples), do this to as many mono or stereo channels as you want.
(Note: there is a minor bug in drag and drop from the Bus Send stub, where the link panner function is dropped.... so at the moment best to create new Aux send from each channel)

You can globally see the pan and fader positions of every channel assigned to the Bus by clicking the blue show/hide tab at the top of the Aux Bus.
Or you can double click on the Bus stub on any channel to show / hide the send.

Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Thanks Dingo! I actually didn't know any of that was possible. Very cool!
(04-22-2020, 07:06 PM)Dingo Wrote: There have been a lot of changes to the way Audio Busses are handled in v6.
Audio Busses are now fully delay compensated, can pan mono channels or balance or image flip stereo channels.
An Audio Bus send from a channel can be created to link with the main panner, or not.

Firstly use the Blue Cross or Menu Track / Add Track or Bus to create a new Audio Bus, make sure you select Stereo if you want to be able to pan.

Go to Preferences / Mixer / Send Routing check link or no link to Main panner.

On the Channel you want to send from, right click New Aux Send (choose which Bus if you have multiples), do this to as many mono or stereo channels as you want.
(Note: there is a minor bug in drag and drop from the Bus Send stub, where the link panner function is dropped.... so at the moment best to create new Aux send from each channel)

You can globally see the pan and fader positions of every channel assigned to the Bus by clicking the blue show/hide tab at the top of the Aux Bus.
Or you can double click on the Bus stub on any channel to show / hide the send.
If compensated why these time differences when recording in itself I shoved on another tread? Seems "overcompensated" on buses and master.
Thanks
Tassy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(04-22-2020, 07:06 PM)Dingo Wrote: Audio Busses are handled in v6.
Audio Busses are now fully delay compensated
An Audio Bus

New Aux Send (choose which Bus if you have multiples), do this to as many mono or at the top of the Aux Bus.

Dingo, please, talk to Ben about this horrible "Audio Bus" name. It seems that Audio Bus is better at explaining what it does but it creates a discomfort when using this name and leads to ambiguity and confusion. People like names that differentiate things because it gives better mental image of whats going on. With Audio Track-Audio Bus the brain is not picking enough the difference (and the color is the same too). Almost everyone who posted on this topic used the word Aux Bus, yourself included (see above). And it totally makes sense, Aux Bus is a cool and relevant name (Aux Send exists already, so the flow of logic is right).

Suggestion: officially rename Audio Bus to Aux Bus and always use only this name in the interface, documentation, topics and discussions.
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Mixbus 32C 7.1.92
(04-23-2020, 01:57 AM)Tassy Wrote: If compensated why these time differences when recording in itself I shoved on another tread? Seems "overcompensated" on buses and master.
Thanks
Tassy
Tassy,

From what I can see you are routing from within the mixer at various stages and recording that back to another channel.
Those various stages are all at different points in the compensation process and this is why the Master and Mixbus recordings are early, they have more compensation to do.
If you want fully compensated 'bounces' to put back in your mix without any need to slide or mod match, export in a file format that allows timestamp (I use 32bit BWAV @ session rate)
Import those exported regions and use the ' Insert at file timestamp' option.

In terms of PDC within the 'console'...

As a test try assigning a bunch of tracks all panned centre to MB 1 and an Audio Bus at unity. Phase invert the Audio Bus and send it to the Master mix only. Play audio and you should find the signal phases out... take it further and whack a pile of plugins onto the Audio Bus, then drag and drop (in the same order) onto MB 1, again the signal should phase out.. one caveat there may be some 'breathing' in plugins that have analog emulations or random reverbs.

Also if you have not yet downloaded MB32C v6.0.702 (hot fix) then do so.

(04-23-2020, 06:12 PM)Andy76 Wrote: Dingo, please, talk to Ben about this horrible "Audio Bus" name.
Suggestion: officially rename Audio Bus to Aux Bus and always use only this name in the interface, documentation, topics and discussions.

This has been the subject of a whole lot of discussion and there are a whole lot of points of view, but it is on the table ... it is not a trivial task.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Thanks Dingo for the explanation.
What do you mean I recorded "at various stages"? Maybe if I do the same but only record in tracks one by one and and not all routings at once it will not have these "more" compensation to do?
I will try and report.
best
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(04-24-2020, 12:39 AM)Tassy Wrote: Thanks Dingo for the explanation.
What do you mean I recorded "at various stages"?

By that I mean the various stages of Plugin Compensation.
The output stage of a channel [A] to the Master might be 50 samples from 'zero time' whilst a channel fed to Mixbus 1 [B] might be 120 samples from 'zero time' and a really long plugin chain on Mixbus 12 [C] might be 240 samples.
They all need to be stitched back together to meet at 'zero time' but that occurs at the very end of the process when you listen via the Master channel or use Track or Stem exports.
So if you tap at [C] the recording might be 240 samples off the zero time line and a tap from [A] only 50 samples.
So when you re-record them back in without the compensation being completed, they appear at differently offset times.

Well that's my bush lawyers understanding of PDC... [All numbers are fabricated to protect the innocent ...]
(04-24-2020, 01:49 AM)Dingo Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 12:39 AM)Tassy Wrote: Thanks Dingo for the explanation.
What do you mean I recorded "at various stages"?

By that I mean the various stages of Plugin Compensation.
The output stage of a channel [A] to the Master might be 50 samples from 'zero time' whilst a channel fed to Mixbus 1 [B] might be 120 samples from 'zero time' and a really long plugin chain on Mixbus 12 [C] might be 240 samples.
They all need to be stitched back together to meet at 'zero time' but that occurs at the very end of the process when you listen via the Master channel or use Track or Stem exports.
So if you tap at [C] the recording might be 240 samples off the zero time line and a tap from [A] only 50 samples.
So when you re-record them back in without the compensation being completed, they appear at differently offset times.

Well that's my bush lawyers understanding of PDC... [All numbers are fabricated to protect the innocent ...]
This sounds plausible, but isn't that to say that the PDC needs to be fixed for tracks that are being bounced like this? Why can't the timing information you mentioned that's available during the export process automatically be applied to the recorded track?

Rob.
(04-23-2020, 10:53 PM)Dingo Wrote: This has been the subject of a whole lot of discussion and there are a whole lot of points of view, but it is on the table ... it is not a trivial task.

Thank you for your reply and attention.
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Mixbus 32C 7.1.92
(04-24-2020, 01:46 PM)rob94110 Wrote: Why can't the timing information you mentioned that's available during the export process automatically be applied to the recorded track?

Rob.
That kind of 'audio suite' internal bounce is I believe on the road map.