Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drums notes in MIDI editor in Mixbus v6
Hi all,

I tried to follow the steps in the "MIDI basics video" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMPqBaQOW-o) to be able to view drums notes (Kick, Snare etc...) instead of regular notes in Mixbus v6 but it seems that it's different now. I selected "Generic" and then channel 10 as shown in the video but nothing happens :S :S.

Am I missing something ?

This feature could be very handy while editing drums VST Instruments. I love the fact that this features has been built-in in Red Zeppelin and Black Pearl drumkits and I would like to have it with other drums VST instruments too. I read the Mixbus documentation and it talk about creating your own midi patchs or midinames but I don't think it's related to want I am talking about.

In addition, can we create our own "Drum notes map" for drums VST instruments that don't follow the Generic MID Drums mapping ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.
(04-22-2020, 08:43 AM)guillaume.protet Wrote: Hi all,

I tried to follow the steps in the "MIDI basics video" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMPqBaQOW-o) to be able to view drums notes (Kick, Snare etc...) instead of regular notes in Mixbus v6 but it seems that it's different now. I selected "Generic" and then channel 10 as shown in the video but nothing happens :S :S.

Am I missing something ?

This feature could be very handy while editing drums VST Instruments. I love the fact that this features has been built-in in Red Zeppelin and Black Pearl drumkits and I would like to have it with other drums VST instruments too. I read the Mixbus documentation and it talk about creating your own midi patchs or midinames but I don't think it's related to want I am talking about.

In addition, can we create our own "Drum notes map" for drums VST instruments that don't follow the Generic MID Drums mapping ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.

Hello! you mean see midi notes as percussive notation?
If so, you just have to right click on the channel and select Note Mode - Percusive.
Excuse me if I did not understand correctly.
Thanks for your answer waltermete but no, unfortunately, I did not talk about percussive mode.

I talked about on how the text of the note appears when you are drawing it. By default, a C1 note is shown as a "C1" but you can make it appears as "Kick", "Snare" etc...And it's that behaviour that I was not able to reproduce with drumkits different than Red Zeppelin or Black Pearl.
(04-22-2020, 10:02 AM)guillaume.protet Wrote: I talked about on how the text of the note appears when you are drawing it. By default, a C1 note is shown as a "C1" but you can make it appears as "Kick", "Snare" etc...And it's that behaviour that I was not able to reproduce with drumkits different than Red Zeppelin or Black Pearl.

In order to show this, Mixbus uses .midnam files and if you are missing these labels for your virtual instrument, then you must search and find a file on the 'Net or make one by yourself. This is a standard so it should work if you find one.

I don't know which OS you are using but I place my own .midnam files on this path in my user area (Linux):

.config/mixbus6/patchfiles

And the system-wide ones installed by Mixbus can be found here:

/opt/Mixbus32C-6.0.697/share/patchfiles

...which reminds me that the Roland_JX_8P.midnam included with Mixbus is not correct. I must send a correct one to someone @ Harrison.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
Thanks for your answer Jostein.

Yes OK, I will take a look deeper about midnam files and create a custom one for my drums VST instruments.

In addition, I am now able to view the General MIDI Drums notes and I can now reproduce the same behavior as the tutorial video Smile Smile.

Here is how I did it in Mixbus v6 (in case someone has the same question):
- When you add a Midi track, there only one drop down menu named "Generic" (instead of two as shown in the video).
- To have the second drop down menu, you have to select "MMA" -> "Generic" in the first drop down menu
- The second drop down menu appears now as "General MIDI"
- Select channel "10" only for Playback in "Channel Selector" as shown in the video
- And yeahhh you can now see the drums name while adding, selecting, moving a note \o/ \o/
(04-22-2020, 03:39 PM)guillaume.protet Wrote: Here is how I did it in Mixbus v6 (in case someone has the same question):
- When you add a Midi track, there only one drop down menu named "Generic" (instead of two as shown in the video).
- To have the second drop down menu, you have to select "MMA" -> "Generic" in the first drop down menu
- The second drop down menu appears now as "General MIDI"
- Select channel "10" only for Playback in "Channel Selector" as shown in the video
- And yeahhh you can now see the drums name while adding, selecting, moving a note \o/ \o/

It does not have to be for a GM kit and channel 10. I've made 3 customized files for Toontrack SD2, Music City USA that might be a good starting point and added the JX-8P file as well because I was lazy and did not remove it before I zipped them. Enjoy.

Attached Files
.zip   patchfiles.zip (Size: 5.13 KB / Downloads: 12)
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
Thank you so much Jostein ! It works like a charm Smile. I will now adapt them to my VST instruments.

For those who are on Windows 10, you have to put the .midnam files in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Mixbus6\patchfiles directory (create it if it does not exists)