Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird Recording Anomaly
Has anyone experienced this:

I was was given a project to mix. It's a ballad with MIDI drums rendered to audio tracks, so I have no MIDI tracks. The drums were ok, but the ride cymbal was driving me nuts, so I decided to record a real ride. I hung a mic, armed the track, and recorded the ride along with the playing track. When I went to listen back, the recorded track was not aligned with the other tracks. I actually had to nudge it forward a bit to have it line up.

Any ideas what may have happened?

This is Mixbus 5 with a Focusrite Scralett interface. I recorded through the interface's mic pre.
The compensation set properly for wherever you're monitoring in the chain.

There's a built in loopback test for you to test: Audio MIDI setup....calibrate audio. You'll need to plug an analog cable from one analog input(the one you're recording into) to another analog output (which you're monitoring FROM) and click the test button. Probably turn your monitor speakers off or WAY down first.

Maintaining a sample accurate timeline is my OCD thing. I actually "found" Mixbus32c when I was working on a MacBook on LPX...which literally couldn't do it with any disabled plug ins on a bus. Just a "Feature" of Logic's compensation engine.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com
(04-20-2020, 08:04 PM)mwalter@paragon-csi.com Wrote: Has anyone experienced this:

I was was given a project to mix. It's a ballad with MIDI drums rendered to audio tracks, so I have no MIDI tracks. The drums were ok, but the ride cymbal was driving me nuts, so I decided to record a real ride. I hung a mic, armed the track, and recorded the ride along with the playing track. When I went to listen back, the recorded track was not aligned with the other tracks. I actually had to nudge it forward a bit to have it line up.

This is Mixbus 5 with a Focusrite Scralett interface. I recorded through the interface's mic pre.

Sounds like its just a hardware latency issue.

This can be adjusted under: Audio/MIDI Setup: Calibrate Audio

Make sure to select "Stop" first, then do the calibration tests or just type in the values.

[EDIT] Just saw Jamies post Smile
(04-20-2020, 08:27 PM)stixstudios Wrote:
(04-20-2020, 08:04 PM)mwalter@paragon-csi.com Wrote: Has anyone experienced this:

Make sure to select "Stop" first, then do the calibration tests or just type in the values.

Latency is always present
Here is a test a snare track recorded into another track
1 from the track
2 from a utility bus
3 from a mixbus
4 from the master

both monitored by mixbus and monitored by hardware
Interestning that from a track it is in line, from a U bus a hair late but from
mixbuses and master the recorded comes before the original signal
Just a test

By the way I always nudge any recorded from outboard, it is natural for me but this overcompensated mixbus and master behavior from within MB is strange
Tassy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
Having to nudge tracks and regions is a reality. Especially if you work with tracks and
regions that are sent to you from other recording studios. A "3 minute" track may
actually be a couple seconds off, in either direction, depending on who sends it to you.
In a professional sense, it could be because you and your remote source are not hard
synced by a time clock. It doesn't matter if you and your remote source are using the
same DAW in terms of program, computer, setup, etc. Things just don't sync exactly.

Even if you aren't using remotely recorded tracks... Locally recorded tracks may
exhibit some degree of offset, due to the latency of the computer's audio interface.
This varies quite a bit across the choices of interfaces available. Newer interfaces are
much better about it that those only a couple years older.

Mixbus (and other DAWs) have gotten better in their ability to detect and adjust for
this, but nobody is perfect ... yet.

Best, to accept that it is just another skill that one needs to master if you are
working "in the box".

Cheers!
Patrick
(04-21-2020, 12:41 AM)Tassy Wrote:
(04-20-2020, 08:27 PM)stixstudios Wrote:

Latency is always present
Here is a test a snare track recorded into another track
1 from the track
2 from a utility bus
3 from a mixbus
4 from the master

both monitored by mixbus and monitored by hardware
Interestning that from a track it is in line, from a U bus a hair late but from
mixbuses and master the recorded comes before the original signal
Just a test

By the way I always nudge any recorded from outboard, it is natural for me but this overcompensated mixbus and master behavior from within MB is strange
Tassy
Thanks for sharing this, and how is the alignment with mixbus and master exported as files then imported as tracks?
Export is always from the start of the session.
Note that if your song does not start from 0 and you set the start later, then when you want the export dragged later into session you had better start export from 0 then need not nudge later.

The so called bouncing (recording the master to a stereo track) as they do in protools a lot I do not do in MB because of the latency I showed in the picture.
I use export and no headache.
I wonder what Harrison will consider in this routing record latency thing
best
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
Thanks for the replies. I was able to calibrate and everything, using Mixbus, is now working fine. However, when I use Winamp, it occasionally stutters, like the clock is not being synced. However, it's a Scarlett using the internal clock.

If I have to choose between MB and music playing devices, well, that's a no brainer.