Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
....bit of a noob....
Stay safe and take care of yourself.

Just one more note of advice. Unless you really need to "go there", I wouldn't go nuts on the plugins yet. Reaper will get you there for tracking/recording/midi etc. - i.e., you'll get your tracks into digital format quickly and easily. Then, if you port those tracks over to Mixbus, you'll find that the mix comes together really nicely and efficiently without the need for many 3rd party plugs. The built-in DSP, channel-specific EQ/filter/compression, and summing engine (virtual - into the mix busses) give you quite a bit of what you'll want/need without needing to spend a ton more money. The included VST effects are no-frills, but they work great and fill in the gaps nicely. Some of them, in fact, are the best in the business at what they do (the tom gate comes to mind).

That said, having a few nice reverbs (Valhalla is a recommendation), delays (look up TAL for really nice free ones), and utility plugins (Melda's free package has great ones) is always fun. Don't follow my mistake and go down the rabbit hole with UAD and Waves. I've sent them *way* too much money over the decades.... (insert wry grin here). Of course, if you can't help yourself.....there's lots of us who will identify with you :-)
Hi,

This is an old thread, but I appreciate the pointer regarding reaper. I have briefly looked at it, but that is a shining recomendation.

To the OP, it sound like you need to do exactly what you say you USED to do, id est; just plug things in and RECORD! hehe

All of these DAWs are more than capable of "just plug it in and record" usage.

I've never done much more than that with MB (v2 years ago, and recently starting in v6 and 32C). That is actually the beauty of mixbus. It sound GREAT without all the plugins. Just add some verb from the built in options, click those compressor buttons, twist that tape saturation knob and you are cooking with gas. Smile
Agree completely!