Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mixbus6 32C Nitpicking
(04-20-2020, 08:36 PM)JamieLang Wrote: But, yes-that's nitpicky. I could make a list of FUNCTIONAL improvements to be made in the bypass behavior of the app before we got to window dressing.

I see nitpicking at small things as a probable easy fix for the developers. If its really time-consuming I am sure its not the priority.

On the other hand for us mere daw-users the visual side is hugely important because this is what we are looking at and dealing with. Say if a software product has amazing set of features but has barely readable fonts, what happens next?

Any input on possible improvements is highly welcomed.
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Mixbus 32C 7.1.92
#20!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cant edit my initial post, says too many images. Anyway, Harrison implemented those in 6.1.1!

9. Make user-defined shortcuts for Dim and Mono work in Editor, now they work only in Mixer.
SOLVED in 6.1.1

24. Add “Insert random noise bursts” in the Export window. Would be great to set the volume of it too. To send complete mixes to the clients for preview but watermarked.
SOLVED in 6.1.1
New: Export Watermarking:
--Enable the checkbox in the Export dialog to insert an occasional “hiss” in your mix; allows clients to hear the mix but makes it unpublishable

25. Click+Del to remove Control element. To save time. To remove it now one has to go back to the plugin, right-click, select Controls, remove check mark from the control.
SOLVED in 6.1.1
Shift+right-click on an inline slider will remove that control slider, not the whole plugin

Windows 7 x64 SP1
Mixbus 32C 7.1.92
@andy76 Thank you for those excellent suggestions! And yes, as you already found yourself, we've picked up the low hanging fruit for 6.1 already.
I was going to reply earlier but got sidetracked.

I do disagree with (4): The "Editor" "Mixer" buttons are more important and should be more prominent, besides all the Lua-Action icons are made for square buttons.

Re (17) I think those up/down arrows just just go away. Using the scroll-wheel is a lot easier, anyway. IMHO those buttons are mainly an indication that one can scroll (or use up/down page-up/down).
Likewise for (22) The stock scrollbar does not snap to tracks, either. Those will need a different solution, not just larger arrows.

(6) Getting rid or the MINI timeline wasted-space is harder that it seems. There are many edge cases involved to align the labels correctly. but your suggest will eventually be implemented.

(20) is hard, and sometimes near impossible. Some plugin UIs just grab all events in a way that Mixbus does not even know that a key was pressed. That'll require trickery to work around.

As for (24), mid/long term I'd also like "true" watermarking: https://github.com/swesterfeld/audiowmark -- the problem there is that we'll also need to provide a standalone tool to conveniently extract the watermark.

Next up will probably be (8). I like the idea of showing "Mono and Dim in the main toolbar.

I'm mostly implementing those suggestions on the side when stuck with other work. So please don't hold your breath just yet. There is a long list of "nice to have" features.
Hi Robin, thank you for your reply and amazing work for Ardour and Mixbus, really appreciated!

Quote:I do disagree with (4): The "Editor" "Mixer" buttons are more important and should be more prominent, besides all the Lua-Action icons are made for square buttons.

Yes, the Editor, Mixer buttons are important.
They are prominent enough for any human eye because they are big, they show selected state and they are in the corner where everyone would expect to find them.

However I see no big problem to have same bigger size buttons for action scripts if one would like to. Maybe create a check-mark line in Prefs "Show bigger action buttons"?

Icons dont serve well especially for vague commands, text is our primary way of understanding. Btw icons seem warped sometimes in my case.

(I would say that only culturally wide-accepted icon signs such as Play, Stop etc, Metronome sign, Floppy disk for Save will be fool-proof substitution for text, otherwise icons just create more mess in my opinion. I really never understood why developers insert icons in menus beside clear text such as Save As etc, this is cringey).

Quote:Re (17) I think those up/down arrows just just go away. Using the scroll-wheel is a lot easier, anyway. IMHO those buttons are mainly an indication that one can scroll (or use up/down page-up/down).

Wow I didnt know one could use mouse scroll wheel to change the numbers there. Perhaps worth adding the note of this near the input field. It just proves that "those buttons are mainly an indication that one can scroll (or use up/down page-up/down)" is not 100% correct statement. People vary.

Quote:Likewise for (22) The stock scrollbar does not snap to tracks, either. Those will need a different solution, not just larger arrows.

Thank you for your attention to this.

Quote:(6) Getting rid or the MINI timeline wasted-space is harder that it seems. There are many edge cases involved to align the labels correctly. but your suggest will eventually be implemented.

I had a feeling that it was hard to fix but anyway thank you for the explanation and attention.

Quote:(20) is hard, and sometimes near impossible. Some plugin UIs just grab all events in a way that Mixbus does not even know that a key was pressed. That'll require trickery to work around.

We have faith in you, you will figure it out eventually.

Quote:As for (24), mid/long term I'd also like "true" watermarking: https://github.com/swesterfeld/audiowmark -- the problem there is that we'll also need to provide a standalone tool to conveniently extract the watermark.

Thats cool.

Quote:Next up will probably be (8). I like the idea of showing "Mono and Dim in the main toolbar.

You are a legend!

Quote:I'm mostly implementing those suggestions on the side when stuck with other work. So please don't hold your breath just yet. There is a long list of "nice to have" features.

The most important is that you respond and notice, that is priceless.

While we are at it I would like to emphasize #2 (Big buttons for Sends/EQ). I really appreciate that you introduced keyboard bindings to Send/EQ buttons as a quick fix but in the long run those horizontal tiny lines instead of big rectangles just undermine Harrison`s renome as a maker of well-thought controls.

For mouse cursor operation the control should have a big square-rectangular shape to hit it easier, i.e Solo and Mute buttons which are perfect shape and size. (Why other DAWs dont recognize such a simple concept, I wonder?)

Another nitpick would be an easy creation of Aux tracks. There is a lua action there but it never worked as intended for me, pressing the action button did now create the correct routing so I had to create it manually. And it takes around 5-7 clicks to do it which is realy exhausting and a bad design.

2 clicks proposal:

1. Select tracks you want to connect to Aux track.
2. Right click (1st click) on either track and select (2nd click) from the right-click menu "Make Aux track from selected tracks".

Should also be "Disconnect Aux track for selected tracks".

Optional but handy. Create 2 big buttons on the control panel "Make Aux, "Disconnect Aux" for the selected tracks.

Merci beaucoup pour votre aide!
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Mixbus 32C 7.1.92
(08-27-2020, 05:11 PM)Andy76 Wrote: 2 clicks proposal:

1. Select tracks you want to connect to Aux track.
2. Right click (1st click) on either track and select (2nd click) from the right-click menu "Make Aux track from selected tracks".

This would require a re-design to make all other actions of the mixer-strip context menu apply to the selection.
So far "Add new aux bus (pre/post fader)" is only available for grouped tracks from the group's context menu.

As for your mixbus mixer-strip suggestions (2, 10 etc), I'll better leave this for Ben@Harrison to comment on.
Thank you for the explanation
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Mixbus 32C 7.1.92