Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to add FX on a specific region only?
Hello,

I'm a brand new Mixbus user, and have a basic question: I'd like to apply different effects (say, a reverb, tape echo, another reverb) on three different regions on my Moog DFAM track. What is the best way to do that?

I'm guessing one way to do it, would be to add those three effects on my track, then use automation curves to bring them in at the appropriate regions? But that would really choke my CPU, ain't it, given all those plugins will be loaded for the track, even if not out putting signal all the time?

As far as I can tell, it is not possible to add sound processing to a specific region, the way you might do it in Protools, or Reaper, or Studio One (click on the region, add plugin).

Thanks for your help, already, I'm lovin the workflow and the built-in channel strip/per track, etc.

Arto
You're right, it's not currently possible to add an effect to a region (like AudioSuite or whatever)

Your idea of automating the plugins will work. If you need to, you could apply your FX, solo the track, and export/re-import the track. Then disable the track with the plugins for now.

Applying fx directly to a region is something that's been on our roadmap for a long time; I don't know when we will implement it, but it's fairly high on our list now.

-Ben
(04-14-2020, 03:10 PM)experimental Wrote: Hello,

I'm a brand new Mixbus user, and have a basic question: I'd like to apply different effects (say, a reverb, tape echo, another reverb) on three different regions on my Moog DFAM track. What is the best way to do that?

I'm guessing one way to do it, would be to add those three effects on my track, then use automation curves to bring them in at the appropriate regions? But that would really choke my CPU, ain't it, given all those plugins will be loaded for the track, even if not out putting signal all the time?

As far as I can tell, it is not possible to add sound processing to a specific region, the way you might do it in Protools, or Reaper, or Studio One (click on the region, add plugin).

Thanks for your help, already, I'm lovin the workflow and the built-in channel strip/per track, etc.

Arto

Hola! Lo que yo haría es:
- Duplicar la pista
- En la nueva pista, seleccionar las regiones sobre las que quieres aplicar el efecto y eliminar el resto
- Insertar todos los Fx que quieras hasta que suene como tu quieres.
- Crear un nuevo Track (Mono o Stereo, me imagino que necesitarás Stereo)
- En este nuevo track haz Click derecho, Input y asignale como entrada el canal con las regiones editadas.
- Prepara el canal para grabar y graba. (Presiona MUTE para que no haya retroalimentacion) y graba.

Esto hará un print de ese canal en especifico y a partir de eso tendras el canal ya procesado, pero sin efectos insertados.
La otra manera es exportar el canal editado y volverlo a importar al proyecto, pero yo prefiero el print.

Espero te sirva!
Experimental -

What I do is:
1 - Cut regions of parts that I would like to process with effects
2 - Paste those regions to separate tracks (under the original track).
3 - Add the intended FX plugins to the Region-Tracks you just created.
4 - Add automation, if you still need to (maybe to vary FX parameters, panning, etc.)
5 - Gather all above tracks with a bus or mixbus for combined leveling or further
processing.

This allows me to remain within "standard" tracking that works regardless of the
version of Mixbus that I (or my clients) will use. If you choose to "copy" the original
regions instead of "cut" them you have the option of mixing them, as "dry regions"
with your FX track-regions or.... ALT-! them to mute them. This is helpful if you
need to stem out the original track and let a recipient apply their own FX to those
passages.

This also limits the amount of CPU processing because of the space data to process on
each Region-Track. And, you can easily mute/solo , EQ, Comp, etc. each of the
region passages if you need to.

Lot's of flexibility... and you get to the same results.

Cheers!
Patrick
(04-14-2020, 03:42 PM)PBuryk Wrote: Experimental -

What I do is:
1 - Cut regions of parts that I would like to process with effects
2 - Paste those regions to separate tracks (under the original track).
3 - Add the intended FX plugins to the Region-Tracks you just created.
4 - Add automation, if you still need to (maybe to vary FX parameters, panning, etc.)
5 - Gather all above tracks with a bus or mixbus for combined leveling or further
processing.

This allows me to remain within "standard" tracking that works regardless of the
version of Mixbus that I (or my clients) will use. If you choose to "copy" the original
regions instead of "cut" them you have the option of mixing them, as "dry regions"
with your FX track-regions or.... ALT-! them to mute them. This is helpful if you
need to stem out the original track and let a recipient apply their own FX to those
passages.

This also limits the amount of CPU processing because of the space data to process on
each Region-Track. And, you can easily mute/solo , EQ, Comp, etc. each of the
region passages if you need to.

Lot's of flexibility... and you get to the same results.

Cheers!
Patrick

Thank you, RBuryk, this is really helpful, and I'm gonna try it!

Arto

(04-14-2020, 03:25 PM)waltermente Wrote: Hola! Lo que yo haría es:
- Duplicar la pista
- En la nueva pista, seleccionar las regiones sobre las que quieres aplicar el efecto y eliminar el resto
- Insertar todos los Fx que quieras hasta que suene como tu quieres.
- Crear un nuevo Track (Mono o Stereo, me imagino que necesitarás Stereo)
- En este nuevo track haz Click derecho, Input y asignale como entrada el canal con las regiones editadas.
- Prepara el canal para grabar y graba. (Presiona MUTE para que no haya retroalimentacion) y graba.

Esto hará un print de ese canal en especifico y a partir de eso tendras el canal ya procesado, pero sin efectos insertados.
La otra manera es exportar el canal editado y volverlo a importar al proyecto, pero yo prefiero el print.

Espero te sirva!

Thanks, waltermente, this gives a good idea as well!

(04-14-2020, 03:25 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: You're right, it's not currently possible to add an effect to a region (like AudioSuite or whatever)

Your idea of automating the plugins will work. If you need to, you could apply your FX, solo the track, and export/re-import the track. Then disable the track with the plugins for now.

Applying fx directly to a region is something that's been on our roadmap for a long time; I don't know when we will implement it, but it's fairly high on our list now.

-Ben

Thanks, Ben, looking forward to learning Mixbus, the community is so helpful!
Drag the region in another track and do what you please, that simple.
Tassy

(do not forget to set it "lock" not to loose the timeline placeSmile
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,