Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audition action?
One of my favorite features in Mixbus 5 was the audition action, where you could select any section of a region (or across multiple regions) or any take in a stack of takes, press the letter "a" and listen to it. It is really useful for comping but also for editing: if you select a range to cut or attenuate (such as a singer's breaths) you can very quickly hear whether you've selected too much or too little.

In Mixbus 32c v. 6, this doesn't seem to work. I make a selection and type the letter "a," which plays the selection but there is no sound. Is there something else I need to do to re-enable it? I noticed that it's working normally in the Ardour 6 pre-release version but it's not working for me in Mixbus 32c v. 6. I'm on Mac OSX Mojave.
(03-30-2020, 02:52 PM)bjohnh Wrote: One of my favorite features in Mixbus 5 was the audition action, where you could select any section of a region (or across multiple regions) or any take in a stack of takes, press the letter "a" and listen to it. It is really useful for comping but also for editing: if you select a range to cut or attenuate (such as a singer's breaths) you can very quickly hear whether you've selected too much or too little.

In Mixbus 32c v. 6, this doesn't seem to work. I make a selection and type the letter "a," which plays the selection but there is no sound. Is there something else I need to do to re-enable it? I noticed that it's working normally in the Ardour 6 pre-release version but it's not working for me in Mixbus 32c v. 6. I'm on Mac OSX Mojave.

i have experienced same behavior regardless of version 5 & 6. For me it's like a roulette, sometimes it just works, and at other times it doesnt.. Perhaps some muting/soloing in-between does create issue, or selecting small segments can create issue as well.. Haven't inspected deeply into that since i do not use Mixbus(only daw for mixing tho) quite often these days..
For one, if regions are cut here and there, for instance if long silences are cut, then the audition function gets messed up. This was in version 5. Haven't tried yet in v6 since I kinda forgot about that feature.
(03-31-2020, 07:48 AM)jonetsu Wrote: For one, if regions are cut here and there, for instance if long silences are cut, then the audition function gets messed up. This was in version 5. Haven't tried yet in v6 since I kinda forgot about that feature.

That's not the issue, though: even in an unedited region it doesn't work. It plays back, but there is no sound. It's working in the pre-release version of Ardour 6 and it used to work in Mixbus. It plays a big role in my editing workflow.
(03-31-2020, 08:55 AM)bjohnh Wrote: It plays back, but there is no sound. It's working in the pre-release version of Ardour 6 and it used to work in Mixbus. It plays a big role in my editing workflow.

Check in Audio Connections Manager that the Audition output is routed.

Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(03-31-2020, 03:22 PM)Dingo Wrote: Check in Audio Connections Manager that the Audition output is routed.

Thanks, but the Auditioner and the Audition Action are two different things: http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/m...uditioning

The Audition Action is really just a solo function, but instead of soloing an entire track it solos whatever you have selected using the range selection tool, which could be a portion of a region, a take in a stack of takes, a vertical selection encompassing multiple tracks, etc.

I just checked Mixbus 5, where the Audition Action is still working, and in my routing settings the Auditioner output is not routed but the Audition Action still works.