Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work with busses, some unconviences
Hello, please, can anybody help me to understood is it issue, or i have misunderstanding about how busses work.
I used it often properly in ProTools (via Aux), or Logic, but in Mixbuss it doesn't work.
Problem is. I have 2 mono channels (i.e. Overheads L and R). I don't want bouncing them to stereochannels, and i leaved them as 2 mono channels. But i have no chance to link Eq, Compression and other features managing simultaniously on 2 channels. As well I don't want to waste one of the 12 mixbusses just for Overheads.
What people and I do using other DAWs is create new Group- or Aux- bus, and output 2 channels to New Bus. So I've daone it in MixBus 32C, and was unsurprised than I can't regulate Panoramas on my mono channels and as fact their width.
For example, i can route only this way:
Overhead L -> BUS1 L -> Master
Overhead R -> BUS1 R -> Master
If ProTools and Logic Pro X allow you to use PAN at Overhead L channel, MixBus 32C give you only one way to connect it directly to Left or Right INNs of the BUS1.
So My Conclusion that it is work not properly usable if you want to collect some mono channels to a group (Like Aux in Pro tools) using stereo balance.
Am i right, or i do something wrong?
If MixBusses have Width parameters, i deduct, that it possisble to connect mono to stereo routing. But if I create New Group, it doesn't.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I discovered this a long time ago, this is a glitch of the sixth version. It is necessary to write in support, there is no reaction to my message on the forum.
http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...-8823.html
I don't understand the problem. Create a stereo bus, route your left and right overhead into its left and right channel.
Or, if you must have two buses, group them. EQ and compressor can be copied between track/buses via drag and drop.
But why not use a mixbus: there you can even pan the sends.

That's two easy options (1 and 3) and one slightly awkward one (2).
Unless I totally didn't get the point after stripping all the ProTools remarks - PT works fundamentally differently, they need a "bus" for everything.

MMM

P.S.: with the new mixbus-into-mixbus routing you could even route the OH into the collecting drum bus.
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(03-29-2020, 02:26 AM)Yriisem Wrote: I discovered this a long time ago, this is a glitch of the sixth version. It is necessary to write in support, there is no reaction to my message on the forum.
http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...-8823.html
I have version 5, and it is.

(03-29-2020, 02:46 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: I don't understand the problem. Create a stereo bus, route your left and right overhead into its left and right channel.
Or, if you must have two buses, group them. EQ and compressor can be copied between track/buses via drag and drop.
But why not use a mixbus: there you can even pan the sends.

That's two easy options (1 and 3) and one slightly awkward one (2).
Unless I totally didn't get the point after stripping all the ProTools remarks - PT works fundamentally differently, they need a "bus" for everything.

MMM

P.S.: with the new mixbus-into-mixbus routing you could even route the OH into the collecting drum bus.

Thank you for your advice. But
1) if I do New stereo bus and route my left and right mono channels to it, I can't manage the width of panorama, cause first channel goes directly to left channel, and second channel directly to the right channel of Stereo bus. This is not like mono to stereo, this is like mono to dual mono type bus.
2) Using mixbus for collecting several channels just for that is the way I waste one my 12 MixBusses.
3) stereo bouncing is not good Idea, when you have not proper tracking.
I write an example, and you understand, that it is not a little problem.
For example I have a Huge project with 5 different keys.
One of them have different recording and tone balance balance L and R (maybe cable, or something). More over, I want to balance them 1/3 Left and 3/4 Right in the mix. Ok?
So I want to collect them to a new Group (in Harrison Manual called Utility group, in Pro Tools Aux,or Bus). I don't want reserve one of my lovely MixBusses just for 1 keys.
In Fact when I create New Group and route keys L and Keys R channels to it, I have no possibility to manage Panorama Width, cause Keys L goes directly to Group bus L, and the Keys R to Group Bus R directly. It looks like mono->dual mono routing, but all Daws I know create New groups and busses as Stereo.
If somebody found the answer, please write me.
Thank you much
(03-29-2020, 04:17 AM)Oleg Wrote: 1) if I do New stereo bus and route my left and right mono channels to it, I can't manage the width of panorama, cause first channel goes directly to left channel, and second channel directly to the right channel of Stereo bus. This is not like mono to stereo, this is like mono to dual mono type bus.

Hmmm ok. One workaround would be using M-S processing - with the side signal you can influence the width and at recombining to LR you can do the balance. I'm sure there are plugins which allow you to do this all-in-one in your stereo bus. Just a quick thought.
I'm interested in what people come up with Smile
MMM
Linux throughout!

Why the hell cannot you pan a L and an R tracks of your OH I normally do?
Protools is protools and MB is MB. The best to use anything is to use what it offers.
I have never understood routing audio all around the world for getting what can be got much simpler
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
video https://yadi.sk/i/jG1_AkE49XTaBA
in the fifth version everything works as it should, the problem is in the sixth version.
(03-29-2020, 05:31 AM)Tassy Wrote: Why the hell cannot you pan a L and an R tracks of your OH I normally do?
Protools is protools and MB is MB. The best to use anything is to use what it offers.
I have never understood routing audio all around the world for getting what can be got much simpler
Tassy

I hear you.
MMM

(03-29-2020, 06:53 AM)Yriisem Wrote: video https://yadi.sk/i/jG1_AkE49XTaBA
in the fifth version everything works as it should, the problem is in the sixth version.

Looks like your video shows v6 and your acoustic rhythm guitar is a stereo track.
MMM
Linux throughout!

(03-29-2020, 06:53 AM)Yriisem Wrote: video https://yadi.sk/i/jG1_AkE49XTaBA

It is work with stereo tracks, as on your video. But doesn't work with mono input tracks which are going to the stereo bus. I hear that your acoiustic guitars are in stereo input track
Oleg
Yes, it really doesn’t work with mono. Then it turns out that there is no point in additional tires with such a panorama restriction.