Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The joy of upgrading
I wish to upgrade my Mixbus 32C from v5 to v6, but have some projects I need to finish off in v5 first.
But to be honest, v6 doesn't have too much that I look forward to:
- I never felt the need for latency compensation (even though I understand it's a great achievement).
- I like the easy sidechain compressor.
- I like to see both eq and sends on my 1920x1080 screen.
- I never had a problem with eq shown as percentage.

So dear v6 users: Are there any other changes you enjoy in v6, anything smaller than these often highlighted ones, any smart or handy new features?

I wish to upgrade to be part of Mixbus' development and not be stuck in the past, but at the moment I actually feel like I'll be losing more (sidechain + eq and send sections in the same view) than I'll gain (mostly stuff I never dreamt of).
Will I?
(02-28-2020, 05:30 AM)krans Wrote: I wish to upgrade to be part of Mixbus' development and not be stuck in the past, but at the moment I actually feel like I'll be losing more (sidechain + eq and send sections in the same view) than I'll gain (mostly stuff I never dreamt of).
Will I?

Thanks to Harrison's upgrade anytime same price policy you don't have to right now. You can happily use 5.3 until the teething troubles are smoothed out. I personally like the clearer view and I found a workaround for full visibility on a 1080 screen. I'm sure in a future minor upgrade this will be available again. And MIDI sync will be fixed. And... what ever is found right now.
So atm for me it is:
- Mixbus names in strip
- better readable layout
- sends in sections, clearer EQ/filter layout
- Mixbus-to-mixbus sends (FX)
- eye-friendly colours in the editor
- being v6 haha

I'm not impressed by the foldback buses, these need work imho and MIDI sync should be back soon, hopefully.

Anyway, you could install v6 parallel to v5 and start a minor project there to see how it feels like.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(02-28-2020, 05:56 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 05:30 AM)krans Wrote: I wish to upgrade to be part of Mixbus' development and not be stuck in the past, but at the moment I actually feel like I'll be losing more (sidechain + eq and send sections in the same view) than I'll gain (mostly stuff I never dreamt of).
Will I?

Thanks to Harrison's upgrade anytime same price policy you don't have to right now. You can happily use 5.3 until the teething troubles are smoothed out. I personally like the clearer view and I found a workaround for full visibility on a 1080 screen. I'm sure in a future minor upgrade this will be available again. And MIDI sync will be fixed. And... what ever is found right now.
So atm for me it is:
- Mixbus names in strip
- better readable layout
- sends in sections, clearer EQ/filter layout
- Mixbus-to-mixbus sends (FX)
- eye-friendly colours in the editor
- being v6 haha

I'm not impressed by the foldback buses, these need work imho and MIDI sync should be back soon, hopefully.

Anyway, you could install v6 parallel to v5 and start a minor project there to see how it feels like.

MMM

Oh, yes. Mixbus-to-mixbus sends, that's a great one. Thanks for reminding me!

And I was actually wondering about something you mention here: Is having both v5 and v6 installed and running working without any issues?
(02-28-2020, 06:46 AM)krans Wrote: And I was actually wondering about something you mention here: Is having both v5 and v6 installed and running working without any issues?

Absolutely. Just don't say yes to "uninstall v5" and ideally don't say yeas to "take over v5 settings". However, the latter one is not essential.
I have v5 and v6 in parallel as I had v2 and v3 in parallel (that was another big engine remake then).

MMM
(P.S.: running both at the same time depends on your audio layer. No probs with Jack here)
Linux throughout!

(02-28-2020, 07:02 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 06:46 AM)krans Wrote: And I was actually wondering about something you mention here: Is having both v5 and v6 installed and running working without any issues?

Absolutely. Just don't say yes to "uninstall v5" and ideally don't say yeas to "take over v5 settings". However, the latter one is not essential.
I have v5 and v6 in parallel as I had v2 and v3 in parallel (that was another big engine remake then).

MMM
(P.S.: running both at the same time depends on your audio layer. No probs with Jack here)

Great. Thanks!
If it works well on your Ubuntu 19.10 with KX Studio repos, I'd guess my Pop!_OS 19.10 with KX Studio repos setup will behave pretty much the same. Wink
If it ain't broke....
Easy sending of mixbusses to other mixbusses.
I'm not sure it was on my list of must-haves, but after doing a mix with it, life was much easier, or natural, or something like that.

I also like the better layout of the EQ section.
for the first time, I didn't update. Version 6 is surely great, but 5.3 does already everything I need. With a cheap 1920x1200 monitor. And I must admit that I never really understood what 'latency compensation' is for. Technically I understand the concept, but practically I haven't felt the need for it, neither in recording sessions with microphones nor in MIDI virtual instruments sessions. If this latency compensation uses more CPU, then I rather leave it. Version 5.3 works good with many computers that are a bit old.

Which reminds me of something. When I worked with Cubase, I stopped updating at version 5.5.3. And continued working with that version for years, until I switched to Mixbus.
Mixbus32c, Mackie Onyx 1640, Neumann km1, WA 47 jr..MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, UA, etc., iPad2/4/Pro
(02-28-2020, 06:04 PM)Phil999 Wrote: And I must admit that I never really understood what 'latency compensation' is for. Technically I understand the concept, but practically I haven't felt the need for it,

You used it already, everytime you put a plugin into a channel or a mixbus. Only utility buses didn't have it before v6.
MMM
Linux throughout!

I did upgrade.
It was in fact joyful.
Looks better, loads faster, mixbus-to-mixbus. And this is probably placebo, but I do feel it sounds just a tad brighter, which I really like. Maybe it just looks a bit brighter, and the looks manipulate my mind, I don't know.
Anyway, I feel the whole experience is a small step clearer and cleaner. Lovely!

When it comes to small changes, the latch mode for automation is the only one I've stumbled upon so far. Don't know if I'll use it or need, but it can be nice to have there.