Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The sidechain function
(02-12-2020, 07:35 AM)krans Wrote: I've used it rather frequently for subtle ducking (and actually quite a bit for unsubtle ducking also), and I haven't used any gate or separate buses.

So your ducking looked like: the louder the singer sings the more he ducks the backing tape.
MMM

(02-12-2020, 07:46 AM)Marv Wrote: I fully agree. I also want the built-in sidechain functionality back, for excactly the same purpose you describe. I use it for practical ducking, e.g. when a talent speaks it ducks some playback bus or similar. I mentioned this in my previous post "Thoughts on Mixbus 6.0.0".

So your ducking looked like: the louder the singer sings the more he ducks the backing tape.
MMM
[quote='Dingo' pid='48261' dateline='1581555993']
I haven't used Waves for some time, but from memory Waves plugins in VST or AU form do not support side chain.
There are a few Ardour plugs that can plus Fab Filter, some McDSP etc.

I know the F6 multi band dynamic eq and C6 multi band compress does,
I used it in Studio One. I tried the Ardour compressor and it works; somewhat.
I like the f6 and C4 because I can side chain compress single or couple bands on music track to carve out little space for vocals. I did use the Ardour compressor; which did a decent job but the control just wasn't there. Maybe thats something that can be implemented somewhere down the line.
I'm loving the new sidechain. I looked in the manual and got up to the "A-Compressor" part and figured it out the rest of the way. I always do that on kick and bass, so I'll just add a-compressor on the bass buss in my template. I think this is *WAY* more flexible than before. Now the compressor on that single bass buss can do something other than sidechain.
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
(02-12-2020, 10:17 PM)doncolga Wrote: Now the compressor on that single bass buss can do something other than sidechain.

Big point. It's a fine leveller, otherwise wasted.
MMM
I'm really not trying to be difficult.
I just want to find out whether v6 actually provides a new, more flexible way of sidechaining, or whether the quick solution is gone and we're back to setting up sidechains manually. The Ardour way.

And to be honest, it's still a bit confusing for me.

The manual:
Quote:The built-in sidechain feature [which] was provided in Mixbus version 3,4, & 5 [has been removed] because we had limited support for sidechain-able plugins. Since most sidechain tasks benefit from precise control over the threshold, ratio, attack and release, we decided to remove the limited sidechain bus [...].

Also the manual:
Here's the new way to set up sidechains: Watch this 4 year old youtube tutorial.

If nobody gives me reason to think otherwise, it really does seem as a feature was removed without anything new being added instead. It was always possible to set up sidechains manually, just watch the video.

Well, if this is the case, I find it difficult to understand how removing this handy feature gives more flexibility. In what way is there now better support for sidechainable plugins?
Yeah, this isn't landing well over here. The sidechain feature is a really useful feature, please bring it back. We use this on every mix, really every mixbus of every mix, and this plugin-based approach would be really annoying to implement. The built-in silders are what makes Mixbus better than other DAWs; what's with the "plug-in based approach"?
Unhappy and not upgrading yet. Too bad, we were looking forward to latency compensation. Please reconsider.
I appreciate the new sidechain-concept (ducking only one channel isn't enough for me) but unfortunately under pin connections there is mostly no sidechain input like in the a-compressor ... maybe this has something to do with VST2 and VST3 ... atm I can't use my third party comps (Presswerk, Waves, Slate Comps ...) because of the missing sidechain input ...
Tom
Intel i9-10920X @3,5GHz, 32 GB RAM, Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2 TB, SSD 860 PRO 2 TB, SSD 870 EVO Plus 1 TB, Mixbus 32c 7.x, Nuendo, Reaper, WIN 10 Pro, RME UFX+, Ferrofish A16 MKII, Faderport 16, AOC Monitor 32", K+H O300, K+S Tiny C5, analog outboard gear (Tegeler RC Creme + RZM, SSL Fusion, Neve 511 ...)

I'm an old user (from version 4)
And this single feature (the sidechain button)
was the main reason for using this DAW.

I dont produce audio and music for hobby
Sometimes I need to deliver big things fast (very often).
And this feature (the sidechain button) saved LOTS AND LOTS of time.

When I'm not on a schedule I use the plugin-based approach.

Before (on older versions), was possible to do both types of sidechain.
Now, only one is possible (and is much more time consuming).
For me, these little time-saving features were the big deal of Mixbus (the sidechain button, the embedded sends and eq).

They really dropped the ball big time
Want to advertise their products as being similar to analog mixers
But remove serious features of it and make it less similar to analog mixers
And more similar to every other DAW.
Every DAW has the sidechain plugin approach.
None other had the sidechain button.

Congratulations on turning a unique product into a generic one.
Can't understand why brands strip away things that make them unique and attractive in the first place.

*I WANT THE SIDECHAIN BUTTON BACK*
(07-09-2020, 09:34 AM)KYNNAC Wrote: I'm an old user (from version 4)

I'm a very old user from v2 and guess what's not been there then?
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(07-09-2020, 07:33 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(07-09-2020, 09:34 AM)KYNNAC Wrote: I'm an old user (from version 4)

I'm a very old user from v2 and guess what's not been there then?
MMM

Well, it is there since I've started using.
It is one of the main reasons that I bought this product.
Do you work at Harrison or something?