Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux "Declick" / "Decrackle" Plugin
Hey there,

I'm just wondering if there is a usable plugin for Mixbus (Linux variant) that lets you get crackles and clicks out of wav files.
In Windows times (God forgive me;-) I used Steinberg's "Decklicker" and "Decrackler", both of which worked very well. Please tell me there is something like that for Linux as well...;-)

Best wishes
Daniel
(02-05-2020, 02:45 PM)basementmedia Wrote: Hey there,

I'm just wondering if there is a usable plugin for Mixbus (Linux variant) that lets you get crackles and clicks out of wav files.
In Windows times (God forgive me;-) I used Steinberg's "Decklicker" and "Decrackler", both of which worked very well. Please tell me there is something like that for Linux as well...;-)

Best wishes
Daniel

You could train the noise repellent to do this...
I personally remove clicks in the editor and if there are quite many - something has gone wrong before it landed in my DAW. Undecided

MMM
(02-05-2020, 06:40 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 02:45 PM)basementmedia Wrote: Hey there,

Best wishes
Daniel

You could train the noise repellent to do this...
I personally remove clicks in the editor and if there are quite many - something has gone wrong before it landed in my DAW. Undecided

MMM

Yes... all good in the pristine world of a recording studio where you are cutting out the odd rim hit etc... but in Post Production I could not exist without RX.. the most recent show I am working on is about homelessness in Australia, shot in winter on the noisey streets of Sydney with radio mics buried under multiple layers of clothing and rain coats.
Declick and Rustle enable me to edit minutely within the spectrum, I only need to attack very selected frequency / time areas which enables me to keep the rest of the recording in tact.
Spectral editing is like having a microscope and scalpel ... there are times when you need such tools, maybe not everyday but... pity iZotope do not release in Linux (VST ?) and sorry I cannot point the OP in the direction of any other options.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 32C  9.2.172 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 32C  9.2.172 | Resolve 18.6.5
(02-05-2020, 07:03 PM)Dingo Wrote: Yes... all good in the pristine world of a recording studio...

True. I'm thinking too much in a recording studio context Smile

(02-05-2020, 07:03 PM)Dingo Wrote: ...and sorry I cannot point the OP in the direction of any other options.

And why would you: RX is just great. Someday they will have a Linux version and until then RX is the main reason to have a Windows machine in my rack.

Audacity has spectral editing, too, though, it's just clunky and far behind RX. But it's usable in simple cases and it's free and available on all platforms.

MMM
RX is indeed excellent. I've been digitizing some old scratchy vinyl and it continues to astound me how it can remove thousands of clicks and crackle and noise from an LP side without degrading the audio. Truly some magic voodoo happening there. Even puts the Waves noise stuff to shame.
But developing such complex software can only be done with deep resources such as a company like iZotope has. I doubt any small development team could achieve close to RX. So we will have to hope and pray iZotope will port it although I doubt it. Maybe ask them?
In the meantime we will have to stick to dual booting and switch to Windows for RX. And shelling out for for the privilege as well. RX7 is $129 for Elements up to 1,199 for Advanced.
I just checked WineHQ and RX5 is reported to work perfectly in Wine. Nothing more recent reported. That could be a viable Linux option.
Audacity does have a Click Removal plugin built in. That may be worth a try. I vaguely recall using it some time ago and it wasn't crap. Smile
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

(02-06-2020, 02:01 AM)sunrat Wrote: In the meantime we will have to stick to dual booting and switch to Windows for RX. And shelling out for for the privilege as well. RX7 is $129 for Elements up to 1,199 for Advanced.

I don't mind paying for software, no matter which OS. The assumption that "Linuxers" want everything for free (as in free beer) is probably one of the main reasons why we don't see more vendors like iZotope offering their software for Linux.
I pay for Mixbus, I pay for Bitwig, I pay for OverToneDSP and I donate to Ardour. I will donate to more projects when I can afford it. I also buy albums on Bandcamp...
Until vendors offer native Linux versions I keep a moderate small W7-PC (i5 5th generation/8GB RAM/125GB SSD) in my rack in the mixing desk and run iZotope RX standalone on it. If I should have to I can also run Ardour as a host for VSTs there, too. Connected via Jack over the ethernet (I have a little dedicated 1000Mbit ethernet switch in my rack for that) and controlled via VNC it is fully transparent.

Back to Linux click removal: Indeed, I just checked Audacity, it has "click removal" in the main FX menu. Never tried it, will be worth trying with the next 80s Japanese Pop music LP I throw on the turntable Smile

MMM
(02-06-2020, 07:56 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Back to Linux click removal: Indeed, I just checked Audacity, it has "click removal" in the main FX menu. Never tried it, will be worth trying with the next 80s Japanese Pop music LP I throw on the turntable Smile

I've used it sometimes, but it must be used very carefully. It degrades the sound quite much IMO.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
Ok, so i will grab my old Windows machine from the basement and use the wavelab / declicker combi to remove the clicks.

By the way: i also pay for software. The reasons for having changed to Linux are others.

Gesendet von meinem SM-A600FN mit Tapatalk
(02-05-2020, 02:45 PM)basementmedia Wrote: Please tell me there is something like that for Linux as well...;-)

Well, it's not plugin, but nice small standalone java program(Clickrepair) that runs on Linux. I'm amazed what this software are able to do, so tell me if you find something that's better than this. I use it when I do vinyl restoration. I start cleaning the wav files first and the import them to mixbus for further processing. The guy that develop and selling this program, yes there is a fee, also have a denoiser. This summer I recorded a storyteller who stood in a tent under heavy rain showers. The rain was as loud as his voice. When activating the denoiser it was like pressing the "rain off button".

There are 21 days testing period for all his programs.

https://clickrepair.net/

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
Sounds good, thanx. I'll give it a try.

Gesendet von meinem SM-A600FN mit Tapatalk