Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The day the music died?
Amazon have announced Deep Composer which uses their "Generative AI" to create complete songs with multiple instruments from just input of a simple melody.
https://aws.amazon.com/deepcomposer/

The video is worth watching and IMO the musical examples shown are execrable. Well, maybe not as bad as some of the hip-hop "beats" I've heard, but pretty awful. Tongue
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

Lightbulb 
Is it time for a war against the software? What happens to all the musicians that will never happen? Will they not be needed?
My Reel to Reel tape machine never tried to tell me what to compose.
Beethoven just rolled over... sad.
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
Looks like a boom time for elevator Muzak, nothing to fear here folks... execrable hardly covers it.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Interesting that they categorize "Deep Compose" under Machine Learn. Some how I don't think that anybody is going to sell a "million copies" of their custom made song.
Funny, I remember radio commercials for MUZAK commercial background music service.
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
If something like this saves people from writing background music for cat videos, it's all welcome. Automating boring tasks is not bad.
It's like when the industrial revolution came, enabling people to create thousands of needles per day instead of just one.
"Get creative and customize your AI-generated music"

Isn't that an oxymoron ?

(02-02-2020, 04:05 AM)GiRa Wrote: If something like this saves people from writing background music for cat videos, it's all welcome. Automating boring tasks is not bad.
It's like when the industrial revolution came, enabling people to create thousands of needles per day instead of just one.

There are boring tasks in creating music ?
(02-02-2020, 07:24 AM)jonetsu Wrote: There are boring tasks in creating music ?

I chose to stop working in the music industry because my answer to that question is yes.
Not all music is fun to write, there are application and genres that require predictable and repetitive music. That's not my cup of tea.
YMMV.
Everything changes and I believe that this stuff is just another player, human or not.

I don't think music is dead, quite the contrary. Let the machines do their things, this gives just more space for creative people with new ideas and visions.

An example, prog rock is one of many kinds of music that thrives and lives again and I believe that the need for "real" music will be bigger and bigger. So I continue my way and always tries to expand my horizon and try to improve all the time. The future looks bright! :-)
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
Progressive rock can also be boring and repetitive. All those bands emulating Genesis, Marillion, with long "epic" totally predictable finales. Flower Kings did a few pieces boring like that, but at least they sounded a bit fresh.

Luckily there are people out there putting back the human element, which is very refreshing and inspiring.

Like for instance PoiL that I discovered recently :

I replaced the link with this one, which has less camera work, more direct, more place to the music. This was done in front of an audience of college students at the beginning of the yearly Rock in Opposition festival. Music starts at 3 minutes into the video, after a rather long spoken introduction explaining the context. Following the piece was a series of questions from the students.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT6edA4AkqE
Recently I'm over mainstream music. I'm exploring experimental electronic music, noises and soundscapes. Modular synthesis with VCV Rack.
Creating a soundscape or a generative patch on a modular is highly creative in itself ( and I try to get better at it...)

MMM