Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Said Jesus Didn't Rock and Roll
Recorded and mixed in MB32C.

You do not have to sign in, create an account or download at this link. Just click on circle at the bottom to play.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnBsRV0S4bY9g1LVw9lP..._?e=MTCjNr
(01-02-2020, 02:02 PM)nik5 Wrote: Recorded and mixed in MB32C.

You do not have to sign in, create an account or download at this link. Just click on circle at the bottom to play.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnBsRV0S4bY9g1LVw9lP..._?e=MTCjNr

Cool! Sounds correct!Wink
to me it doesn't sound correct at all. The entire mix is wrong. The guitars in the beginning are right, but must be lowered after the intro. Use automation for the levels.

I like the bell. It would be even better to use a real bell. The song is good, it would be a shame to leave the mix like that.
Mixbus32c, Mackie Onyx 1640, Neumann km1, WA 47 jr..MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, UA, etc., iPad2/4/Pro
(02-07-2020, 04:24 PM)Phil999 Wrote: to me it doesn't sound correct at all. The entire mix is wrong. The guitars in the beginning are right, but must be lowered after the intro. Use automation for the levels.

I like the bell. It would be even better to use a real bell. The song is good, it would be a shame to leave the mix like that.
Agreed. Sounds like the drums and bass are in a back room or something. I'm guessing you are the guitarist and vocalist @nik5, and you did the mix ? The audience sound at the end does nothing either, it's obviously not a live recording.
But yeah, song is fine, time for mix #2. Wink
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

Here's my thoughts: Overall a little bit strong on the midrange for me. I'd reach for the master tone controls first and consider some broad adjustments perhaps. The vocal is the most important thing for me on most any song with a vocal. I like the warmth of guitar tone but I'd bring the guitar down a lot relative to the other elements. It would also be good to bring them down during the vocal, as was mentioned. I'd also like a bit of presence on the guitars, for my taste. The vocal needs more of the spotlight. The last verse is a little better for me on the vocal/guitar interaction. The guitar is out of the way of the vocal better there. I'm liking the guitar solos, but again, I'd pull down all the guitars a bit to blend a little better with the drums and bass. Drums feel a little thin for me, and I think you could make them bigger and bring them up in the mix. Not sure if you do any parallel compression on the skins, but that may be considered. I usually do a bus just for that. For the vocal, my preference would be to bring down the delay by a good bit.

Regards,

Donny
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
I can't thank you guys enough for constructively criticizing my mix. I have studio monitors that I think are totally inaccurate, so I stopped using them. I mixed this song with headphones only. I would then go and listen to the mix in my car to make any adjustments. I thought it sounded really good in the headphones and the car. After reading you guys tear my mix to shreds (ha ha) I listened to it on my studio monitors for the first time. I can hear a lot of what you are saying. It is not good. I guess my inaccurate studio monitors are more accurate then my headphones. I was considering taking the thread down if it is possible. However, maybe someone else can benefit from my mistake.
(02-08-2020, 09:03 PM)nik5 Wrote: I was considering taking the thread down if it is possible. However, maybe someone else can benefit from my mistake.

Good thinking: That's what we are all in it for: learnng to become better.
MMM
You can always do a new mix and post it in this thread and get further comments on how you are improving. Wink
A couple of hints about using monitor speakers - there are 2 things that can greatly influence their sound and how you use them. Firstly, it's always a good idea to play a reference song on your monitors at the start of your session and also refer back to it as you go along. Pick something from a similar genre which is well mixed and produced, something which sounds close to what you envision for your mix.
Secondly, your room will greatly influence the response of your monitors. It's best to treat your room by measuring the frequency response at the listening position and use baffles and traps to get closer to an ideal response, minimizing reflection and peak/null spots which are caused by multiple audio paths interacting and cancelling or boosting each other. This can get expensive but is worth it. A less optimal solution is to use something like the free Room EQ Wizard and do mild corrective equalisation. REW can help with placement of room treatment as well.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

The advice for a level matched reference mix is huge. I did this backwards for a long time and stayed very frustrated. I didn’t turn my reference down to match my mix level. I got that advice from one of the early episodes of Ian Shepherd’s “The Mastering Show”. Once I did that simple move, all the tools became so much more alive. I could clearly hear ever small adjustment. At the very end my mixes, I could get the final volume very competitive to commercial references. Speaker placement is also huge. For years I’d have a nice response at the mix position, then I’d move two feet and there’d be no bass. My response is now much more even across the room, and all that just from where I put the speakers. Also, be sure to check your mix on a little speaker that’s all mids. You should still be able to hear everything and hear it balanced. If the mix stands up there, compared to commercial references, that’s a great test. Also check on headphones to eliminate the room for that perspective. Also rest your ears from the mix when you’re “done”. You may find additional adjustments are needed. Lastly, read and write as many mix reviews as you practically can. You can learn a ton by reading reviews of mixes by experienced mixers and mastering engineers…especially mastering engineers. Listening and writing your own mix reviews is also super helpful.
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA