Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AVA Plugins Not Loading
I bought Mix 32c a couple months back & installed it im wifes Win10 laptop - all fine as it started up ok & showed AVA plugins in the plugin manager.
I bought my own brand new laptop last week & instaled the AVA plugns along with the latest version of 32c but it wont show the AVA vst plugins yet they show up fine in my wifes laptop.
Whats going on here?
I'm sending 32c to the correct folder where the AVA vst's are stored but theyre refusing to show.
I've cleared the vst cache & blacklist which hasnt helped.
I hope i havent bought dodgy bugged software . . .
I was looking forward to mixing some current sessions i did in Cubase & this isnt a good start . . .
I see there are other threads on here where folks have the same problem so it isnt a problem specifically to myself.
I am having the same issue - 3rd party VST plugins are detected and load, Harrison's own AVA plugins don't!

I've reinstalled several times, including an entire OS reinstall, same result; everything but AVA plugins are detected and work. I've tried a manual install of the plugins in their own folder, as well as the install script, same result. Every other plugin in my VST folder is detected and loads properly.

No reply from Harrison support, no replies here either!

This is a big issue for me as I need those plugins for an important job, I could end up with delaying the entire project due to a stupid software bug!
install the newest update from Harrison demo site. it works full with your present licence
see whether it was solved
also good to tell what OS you use
best
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(02-07-2021, 09:17 AM)Valve Wrote: I am having the same issue - 3rd party VST plugins are detected and load, Harrison's own AVA plugins don't!

I've reinstalled several times, including an entire OS reinstall, same result; everything but AVA plugins are detected and work. I've tried a manual install of the plugins in their own folder, as well as the install script, same result. Every other plugin in my VST folder is detected and loads properly.

Hi Valve and welcome to the Mixbus Forum...
Are you running the latest build of Mixbus? v6.2.270 is the latest MB/32C release.
Also have you tried downloading the AVA package again, it was updated about Jan 16th 2021 ?
As Tassy said earlier, it really helps if you mention what OS version you are running.

(02-07-2021, 09:17 AM)Valve Wrote: No reply from Harrison support, no replies here either!

It is Sunday in Nashville...  you should hear back from them real soon.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(02-07-2021, 05:58 PM)Dingo Wrote:
(02-07-2021, 09:17 AM)Valve Wrote: I am having the same issue - 3rd party VST plugins are detected and load, Harrison's own AVA plugins don't!

Hi Valve and welcome to the Mixbus Forum...
Are you running the latest build of Mixbus? v6.2.270 is the latest MB/32C release.
Also have you tried downloading the AVA package again, it was updated about Jan 16th 2021 ?
As Tassy said earlier, it really helps if you mention what OS version you are running.

(02-07-2021, 09:17 AM)Valve Wrote: No reply from Harrison support, no replies here either!

It is Sunday in Nashville...  you should hear back from them real soon.

Hi!

I'm sorry to say this is quite a grim situation for me. Some more more information:

Yes, it's MB 32C 6.2.270 and I have tried several downloads of it as well as transferring the installer over from known working machine.

1) I tried Fedora 33, 3 or 4 fresh installs. It seems one problem here is that a library required for AVA Plugins doesn't exist in the Fedora 33 repos, therefore MB blacklists all the AVA plugins. To overcome that, I did a little bit of tweaking (symlinking the nonexistent libcurl-gnutls.so.4 to libcurl.so.4, look up online), and MB now finds AVA plugins.

Problem is, the plugin GUI corrupted and unsable.

2) I tried a fresh install of Ubuntu Studio.

MB here finds the plugins, problem is, the GUI is corrupted and unusable.

3) Now I tried a fresh install of Manjaro, which is based on Arch Linux. Same problem here as 1) plugins not detected, and I had to give up because it was 1am and I was really starting to go from frustration to anger.

Yes, I tried fresh downloads of the plugins too.

All the while, the majority of both the free and paid for 3rd party plugins are found and work as intended. Only the AVA plugins do not work.

In my experimentation, I therefore tried three major branches of Linux, the Fedora/Red Hat branch, Ubuntu/Debian and Manjaro/Arch, same result each time - no working AVA.

So, that leaves two common elements; MB and AVA plugins, and the hardware. 

The hardware in this case isn't exactly esoteric, being a Thinkpad X230, the kind of thing Linux developers are known to use which makes it a known good choice for a portable Linux install. I need portability in this case as I have to work, using MB, on a hardware prototype, get it working well, and then use the whole setup for a technology demonstration next week.

If I don't do the demo, I could lose the contract, and myself, and my partner in this project will be in trouble, and so will the client.

Overall, I now regret my decision to use MB, or, more specifically, to weigh in for the AVA plugins as, it seems to me, and by logical deduction, they aren't ready for what would be called pro, or critical, use, possibly due to a lack of experience with LXVST.

I tried communicating with Harrison via support, no real help there, and almost like 'it works here, so you're on your own mate' and, furthermore, it was very obvious that these issues are well known already, both the licurl-gnutls.so.4 issue, and the corrupted GUI issue if you can actually get past that.

Now, what am I left to think. You will have to agree that, if MB and AVA plugins consistently don't work out of the box, on three of the most popular distros in the Linux ecosphere, including the most popular one for music production, there is a problem somewhere.

My advice is: Be Warned. Do not trust anything important to AVA plugins, at least on Linux, because you may well find yourself in trouble.
Update.

I have the AVA plugins working now, in Ubuntu Studio. The GUI insanity here was due to the OpenGL version, as described in the AVA plugin docs. It requires setting an environment variable to be set specially for them. Why the AVA plugins need such specific requirements, while, say, Overtone DSP plugins don't, and worked in every circumstance is a mystery only Harrison's developers know the true answer to.

The only metaphor I can think to describe it is having to rebuild your car's engine in order to use a certain brand of screenwash.

This has really has been something of a nightmare journey, multiplied by the fact that when offered a date next week for the demo, they chose instead this Friday, now is Tuesday.
Quote from Harrison's site:

We highly encourage you to try the free DEMO to determine if the plugins work on your setup.
OS version:
* Mac OSX: 10.7 or newer required. 10.10 or newer suggested
* Windows: Win7 or newer required
* Linux: Please try the demo

There are so many variables in the Linux world... that's why Harrison suggest you try the AVA demo first.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5