Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereo panning
Hi there!

I wonder about the panning knob on stereo tracks and busses. Is it a true stereo panner or a balance control?

Best regards,
Raimonds
Its a balance control.

Icon Pro X and XS's Mixbus 5, Logic X, Protools 10, Mac Sierra
(11-03-2019, 12:38 PM)sonusman Wrote: Its a balance control.

Icon Pro X and XS's Mixbus 5, Logic X, Protools 10, Mac Sierra

Good to know. Thanks!
Hmm...I'm curious the definition. I just watched a YouTube video that said that abalone panners will effectively silence the right side if you "pan" all the way to the left?

Mixbus rips it all to dual mono under the hood, which SHOULD mean that under the hood it's just linking a couple channels, each with their own pan pot....because that's how stereo worked on a desk--except analog had no "link"....but, even when we moved to digital desks--that was your "link" comes in. Why then, would they NOT make that work like two pan pots, since it's two mono audio files under the hood?

Is there a solid definition available? I've always used dual pans on the "stereo tracks" in Cubase unless all I was doing was nudging it a little off center.

I've not thought about how pan law effects this....maybe that's why--so they could exclude it from pan law attenuation....
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com
(11-03-2019, 06:53 PM)JamieLang Wrote: Hmm...I'm curious the definition. I just watched a YouTube video that said that abalone panners will effectively silence the right side if you "pan" all the way to the left?

Mixbus rips it all to dual mono under the hood, which SHOULD mean that under the hood it's just linking a couple channels, each with their own pan pot....because that's how stereo worked on a desk--except analog had no "link"....but, even when we moved to digital desks--that was your "link" comes in. Why then, would they NOT make that work like two pan pots, since it's two mono audio files under the hood?

Is there a solid definition available? I've always used dual pans on the "stereo tracks" in Cubase unless all I was doing was nudging it a little off center.

I've not thought about how pan law effects this....maybe that's why--so they could exclude it from pan law attenuation....
Now I am curious... What is the definition of "Stereo Panner" and What is the definition of "Balance Control"? and What is the difference between them?
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
(11-03-2019, 09:53 PM)Theotherguy Wrote: Now I am curious... What is the definition of "Stereo Panner" and What is the definition of "Balance Control"? and What is the difference between them?
My understanding is that:

A balance control maintains the hard pan position of the stereo signal, and uses a tilt type control to reduce or elevate the L/R signal. So source L+R stay hard L+R you just hear more or less of either side depending on where the panner is.

A stereo panner (or multichannel panner) has the ability to Gang the L and R signals, so that the panner moves both L and R sources to the L or R.

I would normally expect to see this kind or panner in Post Production for screen.

Generally with music I ingest a stereo recording as two mono if I want to do a lot of repositioning.

Divergence is the other control that many multi-channel panners have to allow adjustment of the width of each pan element.

Stereo to Mono panners are fitted to the Mixbusses.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(11-03-2019, 09:53 PM)Theotherguy Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 06:53 PM)JamieLang Wrote: Hmm...I'm curious the definition. I just watched a YouTube video that said that abalone panners will effectively silence the right side if you "pan" all the way to the left?

Now I am curious... What is the definition of "Stereo Panner" and What is the definition of "Balance Control"? and What is the difference between them?

Since Mixbus is based on Ardour, I hereby post links to Ardour online manual explaining both concepts:

http://manual.ardour.org/mixing/panning/...e_control/
http://manual.ardour.org/mixing/panning/stereo_panner/

True stereo panning is supposedly default for stereo tracks in Pro Tools. Other DAWs may have it as an option.

Best regards,
Raimonds
By reading the manual, it seems that the mixbuses have true stereo panning, as they have balance and width.
Thanks. I guess most of my life has been spent with “stereo panners” given that only DAWS have stereo tracks at all. I always thought it was simply two UI ways to approach the same dual mono panner under the hood. I guess its not. Also explains why my piano sounds different in Mixbus than everywhere else...its not collapsing it, just attenuating the bass side when i cock it to one side.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com