Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nudging a track or region in milliseconds.
Question 
I've changed the "Nudge Clock" to seconds but it looks like the finest measure is in 10ths and not 1000ths (milliseconds) which is what I'd like.

ie. If I type in 0.020 (20 milliseconds) then it automatically reverts to 0.2 (10ths). There's also some other odd behaviour with that input field. (later).

Alternatively, can I move the start of the track or region to a particular starting point?
(10-22-2019, 07:40 AM)stixstudios Wrote: Alternatively, can I move the start of the track or region to a particular starting point?

Double click on a region, adjust the Position there.
Usually doing live sound …
I apologize for the long delay in replying. I went on to do other things.

"Double click on a region, adjust the Position there".

No, that doesn't work properly either. The same issue is still there. You can't edit the input fields easily, and also you don't have the option to make the units milliseconds or samples.

Is there something that I'm missing? All I want to do is to move a region to an "exact" point in time (or samples). I'm not asking for too much.
(11-07-2019, 06:48 AM)stixstudios Wrote: Is there something that I'm missing? All I want to do is to move a region to an "exact" point in time (or samples). I'm not asking for too much.

Set Edit Point to Playhead (typing "2" switches between Mouse and Playhead)
Set the Primary Clock to the desired position. Right-clicking on the clock lets you choose between timecode, minutes/seconds, samples, etc. If you have a scrollbar on your mouse, hover the mouse over the section of the clock you want to alter (in your case milliseconds) and use the scroll bar to dial in the value without having to type it in...or you can of course type it in)
Select the region(s) with the Grabber Tool (type "g")
Go to the Edit menu -> Align -> Align Start

More details on the clocks here: http://manual.ardour.org/introducing-ard...ng-clocks/
Thanks bjohnh.

That method works well for samples. However, it doesn't seem to work for milliseconds because you can't type milliseconds into the primary clock input field.

What I did was convert milliseconds to samples so it worked out fine in the end, but not as intuitive as I would like.

Cheers.
(11-16-2019, 01:52 AM)stixstudios Wrote: That method works well for samples. However, it doesn't seem to work for milliseconds because you can't type milliseconds into the primary clock input field.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean: the primary clock input field displays milliseconds (if you have the clock set to display minutes and seconds, rather than timecode or any of the other options) and you can edit those numbers by clicking to the left of right-most value and typing in a new value. So, for example, if the clock displays 00:00:44.339 and you want it to display 00:00:44.213 instead, place your cursor between the "3" and "9" in 339 and type "213."

I personally find it easier to adjust milliseconds by hovering over them in the clock and using my scroll wheel to increase or decrease the number.
FINALLY... I have success!

I had the primary clock set to seconds, which in my mind seemed like it would deal with milliseconds better, but no. I set the clock to minutesConfusedeconds and now I see the display with milliseconds.

Typing directly into the fields is still a bit flaky though, so I just used the mouse wheel as suggested and "voila"!!.

Now for the next question. What about the nudge clock? It seems I can't change it like the primary clock. Very flaky as well. I type in .002 (2 milliseconds) and it shows .001, but moves by .002. At one point during testing I exited the field (tab) and the playhead moved.

Anyway, it's workable but not ideal.
(11-19-2019, 04:21 AM)stixstudios Wrote: What about the nudge clock? It seems I can't change it like the primary clock. Very flaky as well.

Nudge clock works exactly the same: right-click on it and choose Minutes:Seconds as the display. You can enter numbers the same way as in the primary clock, although as mentioned above I find the scroll wheel easier to use, no need to click, just hover over the milliseconds and scroll.
Resurrecting this thread to ask, again, how to enter time into the nudge clock.
This is an abomination unto the lord.

It either pushes the digits left as I type, starts reading numerals as keyboard commands, and/or resets to 5:00 (what does that even represent? Seconds? Minutes? Beats? Bars?) after I'm done typing, which it's nearly impossible to know when I'm done typing. Hard to explain unless you've tried it yourself. Also good luck right clicking on the digits to change format. That just makes it blank. Reminds me of those reverse Polish calculators physicists liked to use.

A more specific request: can someone walk me through the steps to set the nudge clock to 40ms? Maybe by doing that successfully I'll start understanding how it works via osmosis.

Edits:
1. Scroll wheel does nothing.
2. If you successfully enter the nudge time in ms, it changes your number to another number. How do you turn Bjork mode off?
3. If you're not careful while nudging, Bjork will change the tempo of your entire project to something like 0.012bpm.
https://manual.ardour.org/introducing-ar...ng-clocks/
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5