Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixbus doesn't set the buffer size correctly
Thanks for the follow-up @jonasry. I'm back to having slightly less success than you. Re-opened the new session I created back on 10/13 and could not get any combination of setting to get me back to a working buffer size of 256. The jumps were not as neat and orderly either with me seeing direct jumps to 1024 and 4096. I switched my preferences to disable "Try to auto-launch audio/midi engine" to try and force a 256 buffer rate, but I found that as soon as I hit start, the buffer size jumped to 1024 which as you saw is the working buffer. The problem is not exhibited in other applications.

As for my Focusrite, a re-install of the latest MixControl had no bearing on my situation and I didn't quite feel like figuring out which MS update may have knocked it offline. The Audient so far has been a much better sounding interface, with the exception of not being able to track through the Mixbus console. When just mixing, I max out the buffer size anyway and I can get things to work just fine at the higher rates.

All of my testing is at 96K. I'll open a support case and reference this thread.

Thanks, Matt
Tech specs: Windows 11, Asus Prime Z790-A, I7-12700K @ 7.7K; Hyper-threading enabled, G.Skill DDR5-5600 64GB RAM, Integrated GPU, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 1TB SSD, Benq 32" 4K Monitor
Mixbus 32C versions: 9.2
Closing the loop here. The support case with both Harrison and Audient didn't yield results. However, after upgrading to 5.3 this afternoon, I thought I would try again. No dice.

BUT, I decided to try clicking the "Use Buffered I/O" option and I look like I'm in business. I can stop the audio, choose a different buffer size, and the Audient iD44 changes to the correct setting and the system matches.

Matt
Tech specs: Windows 11, Asus Prime Z790-A, I7-12700K @ 7.7K; Hyper-threading enabled, G.Skill DDR5-5600 64GB RAM, Integrated GPU, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 1TB SSD, Benq 32" 4K Monitor
(11-08-2019, 05:29 PM)GMSweet Wrote: Closing the loop here. The support case with both Harrison and Audient didn't yield results. However, after upgrading to 5.3 this afternoon, I thought I would try again. No dice.

BUT, I decided to try clicking the "Use Buffered I/O" option and I look like I'm in business. I can stop the audio, choose a different buffer size, and the Audient iD44 changes to the correct setting and the system matches.

Matt

If you hear any reply on your support ticket, let me know. I’m experiencing the same issue with a Behringer u-phoria card.
The doubling in buffer size baffles me.
My modest little setup for demo recording had a 2 channel UR22 and worked excellent. Decided to upgrade and now fiddling with this.
I hope I can fix it. I enjoy Mixbus for both tracking and Mixing.

I’ll give the used buffered I/o a shot tonight.

Cheers
Launching either app
Sorry @ChrisF and @PeterFulmer. Harrison had closed out my case before I discovered the "Use Buffered I/O" option. This option has continued to work on my Audient iD44 on both my laptop and desktop machine since enabling it. I would log a case with support to let them know which device and platform you are running. The more official cases they have, the better off in case the is something deeper.

Regards,

Matt
I'm having a nightmare of a time here. I installed 32c yesterday to work with a motu 828x, all was well until i imported a session from a friend to see the DAW in action. All my buffer settings seem to just crap out and click like crazy. I've read this whole thread and nothing has worked. even when it does seem to sync up it then craps out in 5 seconds.

I noticed the motu outputs are shooting out random audio and midi messages and to ADAT as well?

I reinstalled 32c, tried to locate the "pref" file but there was a vague description of where it was supposed to be located and didnt seem to materialize anywhere in a long winded windows search.

I'm only running the demo and was very keen to buy this. i've been using various DAW's since Atari ST and i've never seen anything act up so strange like this in my life.

I disconnected everything in the 32c routing and reconnected, no dice. No feedback light on.

I've had my master going to monitoring and then my main outs and skipped the monitoring and went direct.... no difference.

How can something work one day and not the next? i have 15% cpu and my buffer should be coping at 88.2khz with 2048.

I can't buy this if it's going to be flakey Sad

Would really appreciate some assistance, thank you.
It can be true but there is a thing sometimes overlooked:
If the audio interface has its own setup dialogue that can be opened from within the MB audio/midi dialogue the buffer "set" only in the MB box is not always recognized by MB because the interface dialogue overrides it. So the buffer must be set in the interface dialogue, then MB shows the correct one.
It may be worth a try whether it is the present case or not.

My UR22 behaves like that. It offers buffer from 16 and sets well if I follow this order:
Stop-open device control panel-set the buffer-OK-refresh- now the correct buffer is shown in MB - start
(whether the OS config supports that low latency is another thing, but MB sets it right in this interface in win7/64
Happy New Year
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(01-01-2020, 02:59 AM)Tassy Wrote: It can be true but there is a thing sometimes overlooked:
If the audio interface has its own setup dialogue that can be opened from within the MB audio/midi dialogue the buffer "set" only in the MB box is not always recognized by MB because the interface dialogue overrides it. So the buffer must be set in the interface dialogue, then MB shows the correct one.
It may be worth a try whether it is the present case or not.

My UR22 behaves like that. It offers buffer from 16 and sets well if I follow this order:
Stop-open device control panel-set the buffer-OK-refresh- now the correct buffer is shown in MB - start
(whether the OS config supports that low latency is another thing, but MB sets it right in this interface in win7/64
Happy New Year
Tassy

Thanx for your reply, whatever the port audio biz is it wont cooperate with a thunderbolt interface. I'm currently trying to find a new thunderbolt driver before I confirm this. Atm Im seeing it run more than ok in usb mode. not a single glitch and pretty good CPU for an 88.2khz session. I'll email the staff here in a couple of weeks with any significant info I can find. cheers.
(10-13-2019, 02:16 PM)GMSweet Wrote: Following up here... I started with a fresh session and was able to finally get the buffers to synchronize and stabilized. Once getting through a sync in the new session, I was able to close Mixbus and get back in to the original sessions that wouldn't synchronize the buffers and move about my day. I have not tried re-connecting my old Focusrite though as that was flaking out in every app.

Any chance you can share what settings you used for buffer size, sample rate, etc that you used? I keep getting an "failed" message when I try and open the id44.
@jcowan - I use a number of different buffer setting depending on what I'm doing. Generally 128 for tracking, or 256 if I'm tracking though a few plugins and then I just go to 4096 for mixing to give me as much DSP headroom as possible.

I'm running Windows 10 1909
Audient driver: 4.0.3

I don't have Mixbus autostart my audio so I can choose what I would like before each session.

Here's what my Audio setup screen looks like in Mixbus 32C 6:
[Image: Mixbus-AudioSetup.png]

Regards,

Matt