Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Character bundle plugins
Wondering how many of you use the character bundle plugins and how you fit them in to your workflow.
I'm thinking about buying them but I'm under the impression after viewing the video that you choose to use a character plugin OR traditional EQ.
Why not use both in series?
Am I wrong in thinking that the character plugins can be used along side EQ and compression on let's say a bass?
Something like Compressor-EQ-XTBC?

Thanks!
(09-23-2019, 01:33 PM)reapermusic Wrote: Wondering how many of you use the character bundle plugins and how you fit them in to your workflow.
I'm thinking about buying them but I'm under the impression after viewing the video that you choose to use a character plugin OR traditional EQ.
Am I wrong in thinking that the character plugins can be used along side EQ and compression on let's say a bass?

Thanks!

You will probably use eq AND character plugins. Though some character plugins are specialized EQs, they work different from an ordinary EQ as I guess you have seen.

The drum character have one EQ for the hit and one for the tail, so you have much more options to shape the sound of a drum than you will have with a ordinary EQ.

The vocal and bass character plugin let you shape the base tone of the voice or bass, but you can also elevate or reduce the harmonics of that voice or bass. This is a very different approach than a EQ.

Bottom line, they complementing each other, but depending on your needs you'll use a EQ or a character plugin or you use both in series.

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
(09-23-2019, 03:39 PM)Sthauge Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 01:33 PM)reapermusic Wrote: Wondering how many of you use the character bundle plugins and how you fit them in to your workflow.

Thanks!

You will probably use eq AND character plugins. Though some character plugins are specialized EQs, they work different from an ordinary EQ as I guess you have seen.

The drum character have one EQ for the hit and one for the tail, so you have much more options to shape the sound of a drum than you will have with a ordinary EQ.

The vocal and bass character plugin let you shape the base tone of the voice or bass, but you can also elevate or reduce the harmonics of that voice or bass. This is a very different approach than a EQ.

Bottom line, they complementing each other, but depending on your needs you'll use a EQ or a character plugin or you use both in series.

Hello Sthauge,
Thanks much for your reply
Good to know and very helpful!
I assumed as much but it was much clearer
hearing from someone that is familiar
Very nice thanks again!
Nothing wrong with doubling up plug ins of the same “type”. I tend to use a more surgical eq first. Then something with character. Then maybe a touch more with the 32C eq. With dynamics processing in between. I’ve found several smaller changes can have better results than fewer more drastic changes. Which reminds me, their spectral compressor is pretty awesome also. Especially for getting rid of parts of the spectrum that only stick out here and there without nuking that range entirely.
(09-23-2019, 08:58 PM)Matt Wrote: Nothing wrong with doubling up plug ins of the same “type”. I tend to use a more surgical eq first. Then something with character. Then maybe a touch more with the 32C eq. With dynamics processing in between. I’ve found several smaller changes can have better results than fewer more drastic changes. Which reminds me, their spectral compressor is pretty awesome also. Especially for getting rid of parts of the spectrum that only stick out here and there without nuking that range entirely.

Hi Matt,
Thanks for sharing and making my decision easier because I was wondering about using character plugins along with others.
Sounds great I will def be getting the bundle.
Hmmm spectral compressor sounds nice too

Thanks!

Hi HarrisonSound Wink

Character tools can do things, which are not possible with EQ.
You have a floor tom , and need a rack ?

I remember a live concert , a female singer , which just needed a an acoustic bass. The player came late , produced a sloppy bass-guitar, plugged in the board and could not beleave his ears.

Bass Character gave me the possibility to to change his guitar into an upright
Please note : to achieve that you need a lot of processing. So post production only. In the example case above they played very slow, and he played on the direct signal.

I feel it is not an EQ but an instrument changer.

Regards

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(09-25-2019, 12:37 AM)Frank Wrote:

Thanks!

Hi HarrisonSound Wink

Character tools can do things, which are not possible with EQ.
You have a floor tom , and need a rack ?

I remember a live concert , a female singer , which just needed a an acoustic bass. The player came late , produced a sloppy bass-guitar, plugged in the board and could not beleave his ears.

Bass Character gave me the possibility to to change his guitar into an upright
Please note : to achieve that you need a lot of processing. So post production only. In the example case above they played very slow, and he played on the direct signal.

I feel it is not an EQ but an instrument changer.

Regards

Frank

Hi Frank!

Wow interesting so it made quite a transformation it seems Rolleyes

Really excited to mess around with this bundle!